RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 rx 350 f-sport accident , need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 05:16 PM
Abrar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 rx 350 f-sport accident , need suggestions.

Regrettably, I was involved in a minor incident wherein my vehicle inadvertently made contact with a pole, resulting in damage to the bumper.

I am particularly concerned about the extent of the damage and the subsequent steps required for restoration.

Specifically, I would appreciate guidance on the following queries:

1. Is it necessary to replace the entire bumper assembly, or would partial repair suffice?

2. In the event that bumper replacement is warranted, could the existing headlight sprayers be retained and utilized with the new bumper?

3. Could anyone from experience,provide an approximate estimate for both bumper replacement and painting services ?

4. Furthermore, I am curious to know if body shop possesses the capability to accurately replicate the original color of my vehicle during the painting process.

Your expertise and insights would be immensely valuable in aiding my decision-making process.

Thank you.

Old 04-03-24, 05:40 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

You first need to get a professional estimate from a body shop. They will be able to determine if there is hidden damage and can provide a realistic repair cost estimate. These estimates are free. Also do you have insurance? IF so call them up!
​​​​​​
1. Is it necessary to replace the entire bumper assembly, or would partial repair suffice? Body shop needs to evaluate, but I think you need an entire new bumper.

2. In the event that bumper replacement is warranted, could the existing headlight sprayers be retained and utilized with the new bumper? Possibly but the Body shop will make that determination.

3. Could anyone from experience,provide an approximate estimate for both bumper replacement and painting services ? See above answers. It varies a lot from shop to shop and in different areas. Plus you are in Canada and most of us are in the US. Things are different up north.

4. Furthermore, I am curious to know if body shop possesses the capability to accurately replicate the original color of my vehicle during the painting process. YES!
The following 2 users liked this post by Clutchless:
Abrar (04-03-24), hankrearden (04-16-24)
Old 04-03-24, 06:04 PM
Abrar
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You first need to get a professional estimate from a body shop. They will be able to determine if there is hidden damage and can provide a realistic repair cost estimate. These estimates are free. Also do you have insurance? IF so call them up!
​​​​​​
1. Is it necessary to replace the entire bumper assembly, or would partial repair suffice? Body shop needs to evaluate, but I think you need an entire new bumper.

2. In the event that bumper replacement is warranted, could the existing headlight sprayers be retained and utilized with the new bumper? Possibly but the Body shop will make that determination.

3. Could anyone from experience,provide an approximate estimate for both bumper replacement and painting services ? See above answers. It varies a lot from shop to shop and in different areas. Plus you are in Canada and most of us are in the US. Things are different up north.

4. Furthermore, I am curious to know if body shop possesses the capability to accurately replicate the original color of my vehicle during the painting process. YES!
Thank you so much for your explanation.
Old 04-03-24, 07:32 PM
Lukasteam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

... so let me open my big mouth and get destroyed over here .... if you contact your insurance and let them know about your little mishap , it will go on your record . Carfax on your Lex is not going to be spotless anymore it will say it had a front collision and it might set off potential buyers when you're trying to re-sell the car . Second your insurance might go up next year . It's up to you , but sometimes it's better to eat that little cost and pay for the repair yourself .
I can give you a price comparison - my 2005 Lexus ES330 rear bumper had to be repainted and the body shop charged me $1800 .
Yes they will match the factory paint , but will warn you that optically and ideally it might not be exactly exactly the same because , the car has been in the elements and exposed to the weather , while the new paint on the bumper will be exactly as it rolled off the assembly line . Honestly I don't think you will be able to tell the difference unless you're a paranoid perfectionist like me , lol .
All and all it's just some food for thought . Good luck . I'm glad you're okay and it's just a car ...
Old 04-03-24, 07:40 PM
Abrar
Driver

Originally Posted by Lukasteam
... so let me open my big mouth and get destroyed over here .... if you contact your insurance and let them know about your little mishap , it will go on your record . Carfax on your Lex is not going to be spotless anymore it will say it had a front collision and it might set off potential buyers when you're trying to re-sell the car . Second your insurance might go up next year . It's up to you , but sometimes it's better to eat that little cost and pay for the repair yourself .
I can give you a price comparison - my 2005 Lexus ES330 rear bumper had to be repainted and the body shop charged me $1800 .
Yes they will match the factory paint , but will warn you that optically and ideally it might not be exactly exactly the same because , the car has been in the elements and exposed to the weather , while the new paint on the bumper will be exactly as it rolled off the assembly line . Honestly I don't think you will be able to tell the difference unless you're a paranoid perfectionist like me , lol .
All and all it's just some food for thought . Good luck . I'm glad you're okay and it's just a car ...
thank you immensely for the insight ! The insurance piece was really helpful. I understand there might be a difference in the paint, but since it’s a darker color , I fear it might be more apparent. I feel better knowing that the fog lights are ok, they are 1500$ a pop ! One more thing , do you think the front parking sensors will need calibration after re installation ?
Old 04-03-24, 07:48 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

What is the level of post repair you expect?

Best will be the priciest. Call Lexus dealership and ask for body shops they recommend. [here Lexus does not do body work]. Set an appointment and let them give you the estimate. IN town the shops that I know here only deal with owner for payment. Premium custom matched paint results and the work is top notch.

Good enough .. lock up for number repair shops. Drive up and get cost estimate. They are in repair and not necessarily replace broken parts. They can spray match fairly well.

DIY .. find a bumper skin of same model. Replace it yourself. You will have to lice with fading differences.

I am estimating 3k down to 450. I think the repair will be limited to the bumper skin. But some one has to peel the onion to be sure.

Salim
Old 04-03-24, 08:22 PM
Abrar
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
What is the level of post repair you expect?

Best will be the priciest. Call Lexus dealership and ask for body shops they recommend. [here Lexus does not do body work]. Set an appointment and let them give you the estimate. IN town the shops that I know here only deal with owner for payment. Premium custom matched paint results and the work is top notch.

Good enough .. lock up for number repair shops. Drive up and get cost estimate. They are in repair and not necessarily replace broken parts. They can spray match fairly well.

DIY .. find a bumper skin of same model. Replace it yourself. You will have to lice with fading differences.

I am estimating 3k down to 450. I think the repair will be limited to the bumper skin. But some one has to peel the onion to be sure.

Salim
just an afterthought, would it be feasible just to repair the bumper and get it painted or replacement is better route ? I won’t go the skin route as it won’t be perfect.
Old 04-03-24, 11:59 PM
Lukasteam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abrar
thank you immensely for the insight ! The insurance piece was really helpful. I understand there might be a difference in the paint, but since it’s a darker color , I fear it might be more apparent. I feel better knowing that the fog lights are ok, they are 1500$ a pop ! One more thing , do you think the front parking sensors will need calibration after re installation ?
No worries , glad I can help with my opinions from previous experiences . I would get a new bumper and let a good reputable body shop paint it and install it . Parking sensors should be okay , but of course you will test them first thing after the bumper replacement . If they weren't physically damaged they should be okay , but if they need recalibration Lexus dealer would probably charge you an arm and a leg to re-cal them , somewhere around $450 -500 I think ...
The following users liked this post:
Abrar (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 04:49 AM
Abrar
Driver

Much appreciated, everybody.
Old 04-04-24, 10:44 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

just an afterthought, would it be feasible just to repair the bumper and get it painted or replacement is better route ? I won’t go the skin route as it won’t be perfect.
Sorry for the confusion couple of spell errors.

The plastic [portion that you see], commonly called bumper is a plastic skin. The actual bumper is behind the plastic, shock absorber foam and then the metal alloy bumper and then the body. Your damage appears to be on the plastic skin. Bumper repair shops simply heat, glue, fill, reshape the bumper and then paint it. Body shops purchase the plastic [unpainted from Lexus or after-market] and paint it.

From the looks of it, every thing else will either need to be removed and installed on the repaired/new plastic. If they are broken then most likely they would need replacement and then adjustment. Removing and rehanging should not need adjustment.

Salim
Old 04-05-24, 08:10 AM
Abrar
Driver

Got an estimate from Lexus certified collision Center for 3800 Canadian $ , another Collision center is doing the same for 2700 Canadian $
this is expensive. !

Old 04-05-24, 08:26 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

Those are not bad prices for bumper repair with sensors and lights. However never be surprised when the price goes up as they find something else when taking it apart.
Old 04-05-24, 08:35 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Got an estimate from Lexus certified collision Center for 3800 Canadian $ , another Collision center is doing the same for 2700 Canadian $
this is expensive. !
Go to an independent shop, with a good reputation... the dealer rates are always higher for mech & body. An extra 30$/hr vs. an independent shop adds up.
My buddy runs his own shop. A big Dodge dealer in town sends all their "more expensive" work to him, as they don't trust their own MOPAR techs to do as good of a body job lol

You can cut a bunch of that cost by going with an aftermarket, CAPA certified front bumper, all the OEM inserts look to be fine, just the outer shell needs replacement. Saved another few hundred & tax right there.
Old 04-05-24, 03:01 PM
Abrar
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Those are not bad prices for bumper repair with sensors and lights. However never be surprised when the price goes up as they find something else when taking it apart.
the price is just for the bumper and the valance , nothing else