RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Pics of your 3RX right now!

Old 01-22-15, 02:19 PM
wallykeys
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JT4
Looks good, I see you put a tail pipe ext on it..
Yep, I put the exhaust extension on a couple months ago. I really like the way it looks on the car!

Last edited by wallykeys; 01-22-15 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 05:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

wallykeys, really nice touch. Now that I see it, I'd be doing that if I still had the RX.

kmar: wow, and the Mustang is red almost blending in with your RX. Imagine a darker color!
Old 01-25-15, 07:35 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Wallykeys - Please tell us the source for the great tailpipe tip. Looks really nice.
Ray A.
Old 01-26-15, 11:27 AM
3894days
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default umm right now....

Well Here it is as of 4:00pm yesterday after a lady blew a red light and smashed into me and my 3 kids!! Thanksfully all are ok! But figured I would post it in case someone wondered what was under the bumper!! Also strange enough NO AIR bags went off??? Tow truck driver was showing me a plug that he said was the air bag plug that was disconnected ...not sure if thats the case or not.. but anyways... NOT happy right now!!!! ugh
Attached Thumbnails Pics of your 3RX right now!-img_8555.jpg  
Old 01-26-15, 11:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

OMG! Thank God you and your kids are ok. Please get checked out just in case. I'm glad the RX did its job of protecting you despite the air bags not going off. Why is not important right now. Focus on your family and yourself. As far as the RX, it can be replaced.
Old 01-27-15, 06:53 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow glad to hear you're all OK. That's some serious front end damage. The bumper bar looks really strong, probably helped big time.

And nobody wants red light cameras to nail these idiots. They are actually removing some that are already installed here.
Old 01-27-15, 08:24 AM
3894days
Rookie

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Wow glad to hear you're all OK. That's some serious front end damage. The bumper bar looks really strong, probably helped big time.

And nobody wants red light cameras to nail these idiots. They are actually removing some that are already installed here.

I actually had my little dashboard cam going at the time. I actually store it in the head rest of the passenger side sometimes... I actually forgot it was on ... too bad sun was glaring as it doesnt show much other than us getting hit all of a sudden and my son being jerked around. but ya never know maybe it will help if they choose to fight it.

Bumper def looks strong... it wasnt head on so that helped as well preventing injuries.
Old 01-30-15, 05:22 PM
Pentiger
Driver School Candidate

If red-light cameras worked, I'd agree with you, but studies show that they have no effect other than to generate revenue.
Old 01-31-15, 07:11 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by Pentiger
If red-light cameras worked, I'd agree with you, but studies show that they have no effect other than to generate revenue.
Unfortunately yours is the typical response of the uninformed.

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway safety,

Do red light cameras reduce violations?

Yes. A series of IIHS studies in different communities found that red light violations are reduced significantly with cameras. Institute studies in Oxnard, Calif., and Fairfax, Va., reported reductions in red light violation rates of about 40 percent after the introduction of red light cameras. 5, 17 In addition to the decrease in red light running at camera-equipped sites, the effect carried over to nearby signalized intersections not equipped with red light cameras.

A more recent Institute study in Arlington, Va., also found significant reductions in red light violations at camera intersections one year after ticketing began. 18 These reductions were greater the more time had passed since the light turned red, when violations are more likely to result in crashes. Violations occurring at least a half second after the light turned red were 39 percent less likely than would have been expected without cameras. Violations occurring at least 1 second after were 48 percent less likely, and the odds of a violation occurring at least 1.5 seconds into the red phase fell 86 percent. Spillover benefits were observed for nearby intersections of travel corridors with cameras and were not always significant, whereas violations increased at two noncamera intersections not on camera corridors. A larger, more widely publicized program likely is needed to achieve broad community-wide effects.

Do red light cameras reduce crashes?

Yes. A 2011 Institute study comparing large cities with red light cameras to those without found the devices reduced the fatal red light running crash rate by 24 percent and the rate of all types of fatal crashes at signalized intersections by 17 percent. 19

Previous IIHS research in Oxnard, Calif., found significant citywide crash reductions followed the introduction of red light cameras, and injury crashes at intersections with traffic signals were reduced by 29 percent. 20 Front-into-side collisions — the crash type most closely associated with red light running — at these intersections declined by 32 percent overall, and front-into-side crashes involving injuries fell 68 percent.

An Institute review of international red light camera studies concluded that cameras lower red light violations by 40-50 percent and reduce injury crashes by 25-30 percent. 21 The Cochrane Collaboration, an international public health organization, reviewed 10 controlled before-after studies of red light camera effectiveness. 22 Based on the most rigorous studies, there was an estimated 13-29 percent reduction in all types of injury crashes and a 24 percent reduction in right-angle injury crashes.

Is the objective of red light camera programs to generate revenue?

The primary purpose of photo enforcement should be to improve traffic safety by modifying driver behavior. Guidelines published in 2012 by the National Cooperative Highway Research Program, funded by state departments of transportation and administered by the Transportation Research Board, recommend that money from citations be used to pay for the cameras, and any excess should go to other highway safety programs. 24 The guidelines also recommend conducting a public information campaign to explain the dangers of red light running and how the camera program will work before activating the cameras. Ideally, ticket revenue should decline over time as the cameras succeed in deterring would-be red light runners.
Old 01-31-15, 11:01 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gave my RX450h a nice bath after a month of getting blasted with dirt, road salt and snow. The road salt was particularly worrying as one of my wheels has been kerbed since 2012 - luckily no greater damage done - shows how tough Lexus wheels have become over the years!

Few pics before starting -

This pic shows how bad it really was:

And a few finishers -

Old 01-31-15, 11:34 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Ray, what do mean by kerbed? scraped?
Old 01-31-15, 12:27 PM
wallykeys
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing Rayaans meant "Curbed"
Old 01-31-15, 01:22 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I scraped my left front wheel 3 months after I got my car and it's still exactly the same . It's not too bad so I just left it, especially with the new RX coming soon
Old 02-03-15, 09:32 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I am responding to the post about red lights helping reduce accidents.

I think the opposite is true. Where I live my city has taken down most of there red light photo cameras due to an INCREASE in accident fatal or non fatal accidents sinces it operation for over 5 years.

In my personal experiance i have seen people go full throttle more often to beat the light to avoid a ticket and also seen people do emergency braking because after accelerating they realize they cannot beat the light so instead slam the brakes and end up stopped in middle of the intersection blocking traffic or worst have another people behind him run into him because he to was trying to beat the red light but end up rear ending the first guy.

An this also happend to me personally. I was riding my motorcycle on the left lane in city traffic, i approached a yellow light equiped with a photo camera and slowed down and preparing to stop. The guy in an SUV in the right lanr decided to try to beat the light and full throttle his truck. He then realize his P.O.S. truck cannot make it and did an emergency brake. The lady behind him was driving too close and not paying attention realize she will slam into his rear bumper swerved to my lane where i was at a complete stop and slammed into my rear tire/wheel.
I then did a superman and flew over to the opposing traffic. Luckily people on the other side of the road saw this and pull over next to my body to block the intersection thus preventing people from driving over my limp body. Luckly all i got was a few bruises and road rash and fractured collar bone. Anyways i made a full recovery and now try to reroute my driving to avoid traffic cameras. I think they do more harm than good.
Old 02-05-15, 11:40 AM
DrPayne
Driver School Candidate

Default Snowmobile

Greetings from Connecticut... please bring shovels!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of your 3RX right now!