RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Awful Gas Mileage and Range

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 09:55 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Awful Gas Mileage and Range

Hi all I need some help. Is it normal for your RX350 to have a cruising range of 275 miles after a full tank full up and even topping off to the point that gas spills from the side. Everyone in the MPG forum here and online seems to be getting 400 miles per tank. I can't even get over 275 and I am not sure why. I even drive on cruise control at 55 and it doesn't do much. I know driving has a lot to do with it and I am not jamming the gas pedal at every green light. I am using 93 gas and have checked my tire pressure. My car is also Lexus serviced. I have 2010 model year RX.
Old 04-03-13, 10:30 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure those claiming 400 miles per tank are driving a RX350? Sounds more like a RX450 to me. It's been a while since I filled it up, but 275-300 sounds about right to me.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-03-13, 10:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like you are getting around 17-18 MPG. Have you done an actual MPG calculation of actual miles traveled divided by gallons used? Have you tracked your MPG over time? I agree with ecr72 in that 400 miles from a tank is a bit on the high side.

Part of the problem could be the fuel in your area. Right now the fuel at the stations is more than likely still the winter blend. Not sure if MA is one of those states with the specific reformulated fuel (RFG) requirements compared with other states. Things could improve once the summer blends are seen at the pumps. Track to see if your MPG improves any in the upcoming months.

Next, what about the brand you are using? Do you use the same brand all the time? Tank after tank? If you have using the same brand all the time perhaps it is time for a change... at least for a few tanks to see if that helps any. Not unheard of that some vehicles do not like certain brands of fuel. I have seen it in vehicles I have owned over the years where MPG or performance with a given brand fuel improved or suffered compared to using a different brand. No real rhyme or reason. Try a few tanks of something different for a change.

Finally, not a good idea to overfill your gas tank in the manner you are doing. Not good for the evaporation canister and the EVAP system as a whole.
Old 04-04-13, 02:49 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The RX 350 has a 19.2 gallon tank. But when the gauge says 0 miles left, there is still 2 gallons in the tank for safety. So you are using about 17 gallons to go 275 miles (if that is in fact correct). This works out to be about 16 miles per gallon. Unfortunately, several RX 350 owners have posted complaining about mileage in the 14 to 16 MPG range. So you are not alone. But, you need to really check a few things before you jump to any conclusions. There may be problems with your understanding of what is going on. The miles to empty number is a computed number based on recent driving ... it is somewhat meaningless. You need to see what your car is actually doing or at least use the computed MPG number the car is creating.

Cold climate, winter gas, warming your car up before you drive ... there are a dozen things that can reduce gas mileage. It is tough to understand what is going on ... but, the car is rated at 18 MPG city. You will get less than that during the winter.

Last edited by UCSB; 04-04-13 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 05:23 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks all I never actually calculated my MPG I just look at the trip computer and even the trip computer says avg 19.2mpg this morning on the way to the office in the office . In city traffic yesterday it said 13.8 mpg. But I think I will start tracking it by paper. I actually never considered city driving today. Since I live in the city and work in the burbs my car does sit threw hours of stop and go traffic and parking garage up hill crawls. I probably should consider that. In this case I am not sure how to track it, but based on what everyone says it seems that my RX is fine. Also I only use Shell gas out of habit, maybe the shell additives hurt mpg. Ill try Mobile this month.
Old 04-04-13, 06:01 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This site works well for tracking your MPG. You can either enter in your dash readouts, or keep track of gas fill-ups. The site also lets you compare your mileage against others with the same model and year.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do
Old 04-04-13, 06:27 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems about right. My RX450h gets just about 450 miles a tank.
Old 04-04-13, 07:15 AM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Octane is irrelevant. BTU per pound is the same per pound for gasolines, assuming the same ethanol content. Ethanol content does vary and more ethanol definitely hurts fuel economy. The present ethanol policy is a sham, costing drivers a lot in terms of expense, fuel economy and power. Run your tire pressure a few pounds higher and anticipate stops and redlights sooner. That is about all you can do, other than keeping a clean air filter in it and being gentle and 'steady' with the throttle. A nervous throttle foot is bad for fuel economy. Steady is better.
Old 04-04-13, 07:40 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Octane does matter. If the vehicle is designed to run on premium, it will not run as well on regular. I noticed 2-3MPG drop when running 89 instead of 93. However, it made little to no difference in the Prius I used to own, as it is tuned for 87.
I can do 400 miles on the tank as well... 450h.
Old 04-04-13, 09:35 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
Thanks all I never actually calculated my MPG I just look at the trip computer and even the trip computer says avg 19.2mpg this morning on the way to the office in the office . In city traffic yesterday it said 13.8 mpg. But I think I will start tracking it by paper. I actually never considered city driving today. Since I live in the city and work in the burbs my car does sit threw hours of stop and go traffic and parking garage up hill crawls. I probably should consider that. In this case I am not sure how to track it, but based on what everyone says it seems that my RX is fine. Also I only use Shell gas out of habit, maybe the shell additives hurt mpg. Ill try Mobile this month.
BTW, this is not the first thread on this topic here in the 3rd Generation RX forum. Here is some more reading for you. Just keep in mind that some of those commenting with excellent MPG do have hybrids:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-sticker.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...omparison.html

Here is a thread on how to manually calculate MPG:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-manually.html

Shell gas is usually very good gas and the problem would have little to do about any specific additives.

Sounds like you are getting the low end MPG due to your driving route.
Old 04-04-13, 10:15 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I put more emphasis on Driving habits and driving area ( flat vs hills) more than regulat vs premium.
I have a 2011 where premium should be the gas of choice but i've been using regular 87 most of the times.

I'm taking a hit on horsepower but i don't believe there's a huge difference in miles per gallon.
I average 23 mpg city/highway combined.
Old 04-04-13, 10:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Shell is very good gas. I wouldn't change brands just yet. Make sure you're using 93, that's what the '10 requires. The seemingly never ending cold weather in the northeast, city driving and hills are definitely hurting your mileage. I used to get 14-15 MPG on the 330 in basically the same conditions. Part of the reason I went hybrid this time around. I can't get rid of the hills but I've chosen a route with fewer lights and even leave earlier to avoid sitting in traffic. It has made a difference.

In additon to the threads previously mentioned, have you looked at the mileage thread? It's probably the best representation of what RX owners are getting.
Old 04-04-13, 10:41 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
It's not the Shell gas ... I use it and get high mileage. You're on the right track with cold weather, city stop and go driving, parking garages and all of the city/urban problems (sitting at lights, etc.) that kill gas mileage.
Old 04-04-13, 11:26 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A little FYI regarding gas.
Every gas station in your area gets their supply from the same depot.
So Shell, Chevron, AM/PM, Costco, Joe's etc share the same gasoline. (What a shocker!)

What sets one apart from the other is the additive or popularly known as detergent.
A company can claim Top Tier Gasoline based on the detergent that they use.
Old 04-05-13, 09:04 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i have 255 miles total per full tank i think, mpg is 25-28 when i hit the highway, but since mostly im going in the city ( Brooklyn, Manhattan) my mileage is about 16-17 mpg, driving in manhattan is crazy. im using BP 89th gas all the time

Quick Reply: Awful Gas Mileage and Range