RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Body Side Moldings (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 04:34 AM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wife wanted BSMs on her very new 2013 RX350. Got them from Sewell. Thought of DIY job, but instead took it to Lexus for a professional installation. Looks very good to us, color match is perfect in Claret Mica. Hope it works as it was intended - to attract the dings and scratches on itself instead of the door body.
Also, put on the Door Edge Guards for additional protection. That I did myself after reading step-by-step instructions from Sewell site. It was about 20 min job with a rubber mallet. The fit is good, the color match - again - is excellent. Blend well, can hardly see them from just few feet away.
Wife is happy, we are good.
Old 04-29-13, 08:06 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
My opinion centers around where you have to park. I can see the need to stick the less than attractive side moldings on your vehicle if you live in an urban environment where you are forced to park between cars in tight spots. If you live in a relatively more rural area as I do, the ability to park in end spots away from the other cars eliminates the need for door ding protection.
Years ago I used to park out in the boonies to avoid door dings. Then one afternoon I was coming out of the grocery store and a front was coming thru the area. I watched in dismay as a cart flew across the parking lot and crashed into my door. Now I put on the side moldings and just park with the rest of humanity near the door.
Old 04-29-13, 10:01 AM
nuphan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 without the pointed side moldings and it looks pretty nice.
Attached Thumbnails Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-img_1118.jpg  
Old 05-29-13, 11:10 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed BSM on my 'new' CPO '10 RX Black Sapphire, and I learned something very strange and disappointing. I had to buy the moldings from an after market source (Spoiler and Wing King) because Lexus no longer makes the BSM in Black Sapphire! The quality seems OK, but I much prefer the look and shape of the originals. The adhesive strips on the after market ones are also a bit thicker and therefore the distance between the body and the molding is bigger. The originals cost a little more, which I gladly would have paid, but I had no choice.
I am amazed that after only 3 years, Lexus would discontinue an accessory color. Sewell had 15 other colors but not mine!!
Old 05-29-13, 11:19 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I feel it makes the side of the RX look too busy.
Old 05-29-13, 11:36 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like the looks of them on an RX; only thing worse is on a Corvette.......had my 13 for exactly 1 year Friday;no dings........
Old 05-30-13, 12:45 AM
ob450h
Driver School Candidate

They look really good (I have to say so) on my '13 450h and saved me from getting dinged several times already in the 6 months I've owned the car. I also use common sense while parking.... Stupid me also bought %$%@#&* Lexus no ding package.

Last edited by ob450h; 05-30-13 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-30-13, 04:23 PM
waapples
Rookie

I would rather put the clear film (like the one you put on the front clear bra) on the entire door panels, Although looking at the RX F Sports w/ the side mouldings, I started to like it, but only on RX F Sports though for my personal taste.
Old 05-31-13, 09:46 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My Mom has side moldings on her '07 RX (with 30K miles!), and they have chips up and down their length. I've tried to convince her that she needs to stop parking in the grocery store parking lot, but she refuses to listen. I don't understand why! Something about liking to eat.

In my opinion, chips on the moldings look just as bad as chips in the door. Others might say this proves their worth. On the bright side, they prevent actual dents, and you can replace the moldings if you choose . If you need them and they look like they belong ( and they do) ...... go for it. I would think they would almost disappear on a black RX.

Door edge guards? Nope. Maybe I'm wrong, but all they seem to do is keep you from damaging YOUR car when you smack someone else's! I prefer to not hit anything else in the first place.
Old 07-26-13, 07:20 AM
inscents41
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Body Side Moldings

I picked up my new RX 350 last Friday from a NJ dealer. I tried to get them to throw in the side moldings before I closed the lease deal but they refused. The finance person went over all of the possible add ons and wanted $585 for the moldings. I ended up ordering them from Sewell for $98 and installed them in 1/2 hour. So my questions is: Are the moldings the dealer was going to install the same ones that I bought from Sewell?
Attached Thumbnails Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-p1010547.jpg  
Old 07-26-13, 08:46 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Generally, yes. ...but there is nothing stopping a dealer installing aftermarket versions. I've seen some that have more squared-off ends opposed to the Lexus OEM version on showroom floors. Also, there are posters on the forum here that installed an aftermarket version that has a chrome strip through it (not my thing, but to each there own when it comes to colors and personalization!) You likely made a great decision installing them yourself as many people here have. My dealer showed $895 on the showroom floor sticker for some models (outlandish -- but a huge negotiation point for those that have done 5 minutes of research before going into the dealership).

BTW, congrats on your new ride. A beauty!
Old 07-26-13, 09:52 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

$585 ? Ridiculous. Paid around $250 for mine installed.
Old 07-26-13, 02:13 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the body side moldings from Sewell, too, right after picking up new 2013 RX350 locally in April. Was planning to install them by myself, but decided to let dealer do the installation for $100. I've requested the molding on the front doors to be shifted toward car front about 1/8" extra so I could install edge guard afterward. All worked out very well, and looks good. Then I also added mudguards and side window deflectors to complete the exterior appearance.
Old 07-26-13, 02:44 PM
wrenninger
4th Gear

Question Thanks for the $ Comments

Just set an appointment to install side moldings. It will be fun to see what Wilde in Sarasota asks and gets for the moldings.
Old 07-26-13, 06:02 PM
inscents41
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Good idea about leaving space for the edge guards, I didn't think of that.

Quick Reply: Body Side Moldings (merged threads)