RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

LoJack

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 10:49 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default LoJack

So yesterday i got myself 2010 RX350 AWD, i got a pretty good deal on it, however since its the 1st car that im getting thru dealership, financing, well they were gonna give me 6.9% APR which is insane,well i was cool with the manager and talked him into giving me 1.5% APR, also as part of the deal they give me a LoJack, i dont have to pay monthly fee for it, however i have to pay next week only for installation thats it, and my APR stays low. Dude says its gonna pay off insurance-wise since ill get a insurance discount,which does sounds believable, in like two years, two and a half i should be able to save on insurance same mount of $ i have to pay for installation. I have 15 days if something to cancel the deal, so im really interested whether someone dealt with similar situation and does it really worth it or not, cuz its my 1st time getting a car thru a dealer and first time dealing with all this stuff, so some suggestions would be truly appreciated!
Old 03-17-13, 12:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats on your 350. Which LoJack are you getting, basic or early warning? They cost around $700 and $1,000 respectively so you should pay a lot less than that for installation. You are correct, there is no monthly fee but battery inspection which is recommended at two years is about $70. They can also extend the warranty for another three years for less than $200. All of this is optional. Just realize you are out of warranty at two years.

You should see a discount on insurance but not necessarily from LoJack. I pay less for having a vehicle with ABS and a theft deterrent system system, both standard on the RX. LoJack early warning and the glass breakage sensor aren't even taken into consideration because I'm maxed out on discounts. Two is the limit. But your insurance company may be different. Check with them rather than rely on the dealer. One other thing, LoJack can add a little to the bottom line when it comes to trading in but I can't tell you how much. I've had it on all three of my RXs. I think of it as extra insurance and worth the additional cost. Go for early warning so you get a phone call on up to five lines within minutes of the RX being moved without the LoJack fob. Don't worry, it's less than 1/3 of the size of the Lexus fob. It's also a good way to make sure LoJack is working properly. If the battery in the fob dies, you get a phone call and the fob blinks. I change mine once a year along with the Lexus fob battery.
Old 03-17-13, 01:08 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

im not sure with one im getting thought, i think its the early warning but ill have to double check on that one. My warranty is actually for 3 years, so i still got time. Im with Geico i called them yesterday they said i should be gettin a discount, its just that i have to do a photo inspection next week and give them some additional info and then they'll say whether i can or can not get any discount tho. Thanks for the info tho and thanks, im really happy with the purchase
Old 03-17-13, 02:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The LoJack warranty is two years and covers parts and labor. After that they can come out to inspect it for a fee by basically checking the signal. Or if you have early warning, you can drive without the LoJack fob to see if you get a phone call and it won't cost you anything. I had to do photo inspection too but most of the paperwork including the LoJack contract was sent to the insurance company the day I took delivery. I received my policy information a few days later. Just make sure you check yours when you get it and call if you don't see the discount.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-17-13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-17-13, 04:12 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I had LoJack on my previous Rx330. It was nice peace of mind thing but I did not get it for our current vehicle. The likelihood of someone stealing an RX over other vehicles (such as an older camry/civic etc) is quite low statistically. It did save some my insurance however not enough to recoup the cost of the unit even after 4 yrs. It depends on how risky your location is. My Rx now stays garaged, whereas the 330 did not at the time, also had to travel to higher risk areas back then...these factors all weighted my decisions. If you are only paying for install, then you got a great deal so why not. If paying for it outright, you would probably want to weigh those other factors. Good luck and congrats.
Old 03-17-13, 05:16 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

I see, well i kinda live near a bad neighborhood, like there i live is okay, we got italians, polish, ex ussr, some jews, but like 10-15 min walk and you get into pretty ghetto neighborhood, pretty often if someone has a nice rims on their cars, over the night, they got no rims no more lol, happened to a bunch of my friends, now they all god like 3 different sets of wheel locks on them just in case. and Thank you!

@kitlz so youre sayin if dealer gives me LoJack right now for free, i just pay the installation fee, no monthly fee whatsoever, but after two years, the warranty will expire and ill have to renew it and pay for it starting then, and that will be like monthly payments or just once for renewal and thats it, cuz i have no clue how it works
Old 03-17-13, 05:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Yurka
@kitlz so youre sayin if dealer gives me LoJack right now for free, i just pay the installation fee, no monthly fee whatsoever, but after two years, the warranty will expire and ill have to renew it and pay for it starting then, and that will be like monthly payments or just once for renewal and thats it, cuz i have no clue how it works
In two years LoJack will send you a postcard telling you that the warranty is expiring but you can renew it for a few more years. It has to be inspected by them at a location convenient to you (home, work, etc.). It cost me around $150 for both, no other fees beyond that. If you choose not to have it inspected or extend the warranty, LoJack will continue working. But if any of the components fail, you're out of luck and possibly out of a car.
Old 03-17-13, 09:41 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

i see, well thank you for the information, much appreciated