RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need help configuring a 2013 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 10:10 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help configuring a 2013 RX350

Hey party people - I'm in the process of configuring a 2013 RX350 FWD. I've evaluated the various packages and standalone options available, but still have a few questions for all you experts.

1. Package definitions on Lexus website: The package definitions on the Lexus website don't look anything like the package definitions on third-party websites (specifically Edmunds.com, in this case). I've read threads here stating that the alignment of content on the website is often out of whack with real life, but given that the car's been out for a while, I'm wondering which site to trust in terms of selecting the correct packages and options. For example, Lexus.com makes no explicit mention of Comfort or Luxury Packages, but I see references to those packages all over this forum. Any thoughts or advice on this one?

2. I see that the rain sensing wipers are available on the Comfort Package (according to Edmunds.com). They do not appear to be available as part of any other package, nor as a standalone option. Is that true? If I want rain sensing wipers, I've got to pop for the Comfort Package, even though here in SoCal, I don't really need/care for the heated seats?

3. Any big deal between the perforated leather interior in the Premium Packages versus the Semi-aniline leather in the Luxury Packages? I have read some threads comparing "regular" leather to semi-aniline, but not the perforated to the semi-aniline? Recommendations?

4. Moonroof - The Luxury Package notes a "one-touch open/close moonroof", while the Premium Package describes a "power tilt and slide moonroof with one-touch open/close". Are these the same thing? If different, what's the difference?

I currently have a 2004 RX330, so I'm generally familiar with the Lexus brand and the vehicle in general, but your help with these specific configuration-related questions will really help me get exactly what I want without paying for things I don't need. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-13, 01:31 PM
kryten
Rookie

Comfort pack includes heated and cooled seats. The latter may be good on SoCal

I have not had first hand experience, but did not see anything in the Luxury package that seemed worth the cost!

The sunroofs I believe are the same. I have premium pack and it is one-touch open/close for sure.
Old 03-17-13, 02:03 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. Some of the items I have seen in the Premium and Luxury packages that are important to me are the power folding mirrors and seat memory. I don't believe that either of these can be purchased separately, so I'm stuck buying one of those packages, I think.

And good call on pointing out the seat cooling. The websites refer to it only as "ventilation", so I wasn't sure if it was really cooled air, or just ambient. Thanks!
Old 03-17-13, 03:25 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It drives me crazy that the official Lexus site and configurator is so lame in this regard. I guess there's a reason but it's still ree-****-lous!
Old 03-18-13, 07:48 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahhhh, good luck :-)
I tried the same 6 months ago when I ordered my custom RX350. As it turned out, the web site ordering was not in sync with the dealer ordering system. So to get the options I wanted, it took West Coast Lexus rep (the dealers had no clue) over 2 weeks to figure out how to order the options I wanted. Oh, about 5 phone calls up n back, and comm. to Japan. which is what took the rep so long. (Without Lexus rep, it would have not been possible)
Just a few examples... radar cruise, 2WD only, and Non F Sport, but F Appearance package OK. Tow hitch not compatible with F Sport. Had to join a few packages to get interior options, which u are now experiencing.
So don't feel bad, Lexus rep admitted the web site custom ordering is just a "starting point".... seems they really are set-up to just sell the pre ordered cars which sit on the lots... custom orders are "the exception to the rule"... as many of us learned the hard way.
Old 03-18-13, 08:30 AM
AZJoe
Driver

Our new RX350, included heated/cooled seats in one of the packages. Some recent hot weather here, tried the cooling seats and they actually work and it was a refreshing experience. Only needed them a short time, not sure if I'd drive far with them on. I would not spend the money for them as a single option. Your kind of stuck with whatever they throw together as a package. Custom ordering is the way to go if you have the time and patience. It may end up actually costing more
Old 03-18-13, 08:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I special ordered my 450h early on in production and used the Lexus brochure and Edwards to figure out what I wanted. It gave me a better picture than the Lexus website where builds are based on zip code. Packages can be altered if you want. For example, I added LED headlights (an option) and the dealer removed the cost of the HIDs from the comfort package. You may want to explore that route.
Old 03-18-13, 08:49 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Anita, what made you opt for the LED headlights, did you ever see them side by side vs. the HID? thx
Old 03-18-13, 08:56 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Thanks for the replies, folks. This is all very helpful. I used to practically live on this forum shortly after purchasing our 04 RX330, but have been away for a while. I'm currently monitoring the pricing thread as well, and have a question for those of you who custom ordered your configurations: Were you able to get the same type of pricing deals (or anything close) that are being discussed in the pricing thread? The consensus over there is that a smart shopper can get about 10% off MSRP, which here in SoCal, means getting out the door for about MSRP or a little less when taxes, license, etc. are factored in.

I've got to believe that a custom order is not going to get that same kind of price break, but is there indeed any kind of price break? If so, what has your experience been?

TIA.
Old 03-18-13, 10:43 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

u would think, custom is a slam dunk for a dealer, its a guaranteed sale vs. a spec. car on a lot....but, they dont see it that way, at least in my Lexus buying experience. Also, seems Lexus dealers I dealt with, no different than any low end car, they want to sell you whats on the lot, seems special orders are hassles, as the salesman might have to wait 4 months for commission. I have found dealers ask $+600 over MSRP for special order, and on the other end, maybe $2500 max., plus any incentives Lexus might throw direct at you. Maybe others have had different experiences....u really pay for custom build for Lexus, but you get exactly what you want, and if you keep the ride long enough, you can amortize the overpayment :-)
Old 03-18-13, 10:54 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I was in the same boat, as I didn't want all of features that came "standard" in a not-so-base RX450h.
Dealers were reluctant to deal when it came to special orders. I couldn't even get a quote for a custom ordered RX. Since my trade-in was depreciating and there was a loyalty rebate, I took a hit and got the least-equipped, but very much loaded, RX450h I could find in the Eastern region.
Old 03-18-13, 11:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolphin
Anita, what made you opt for the LED headlights, did you ever see them side by side vs. the HID? thx
Because the LEDs are so damn sexy I had HIDs on the 330. That was enough for me.

Originally Posted by sakaike
I've got to believe that a custom order is not going to get that same kind of price break, but is there indeed any kind of price break? If so, what has your experience been?

TIA.
I was told by my sales guy no discounts for special orders but he gave me ~5% off. Might have been because it was my third RX from the dealer. Though I do remember when we were going back and forth on numbers (because it was a special order, not negotiating), I wasn't able to return his call right away. When I did a few hours later, the price dropped. All I can say is find a dealer that's willing to work with you. And don't return phone calls right away
Old 03-18-13, 11:34 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sakaike

TIA.
Let me see if I can offer my thoughts, even though I won't get into specific pricing. I just don't believe those discussions make a lot of sense on forums like this, as pricing varies so dramatically around the country, from dealer-to-dealer, time-of-year, where the vehicle is in it's MY and life cycle, hidden dealer promos we have no visibility to, personalities involved, and deal-to-deal. I'm probably one of the few that almost refuses to watch that pricing thread, even though I read nearly every other RX one out here.

What I will say is that for me here in SoCal, my last 2 special orders have each been negotiated up-front before the order was placed and I paid less than MSRP for each. OTOH, I paid list MSRP for my special-ordered 2002 SC430 back in those days when there was an 8-10 month waiting list to get one, and they were building as many as they could effectively 7x24 in Japan. I had one on order in Atlanta (where I lived at the time) 6 months before the first one hit the shore, and no ETA another 5 months or so after the first one was delivered here in the US; a friend happened to stop by a dealer next to her dentist in SoCal and asked about the very rare color combo I was looking for and voila -- an unexpected and unsold matching "bonus car" was literally pulling up on a carrier. I called the dealer, faxed paperwork, flew out that weekend, went for a drive in my new car, and they shipped it back to me in Georgia.

...all that to say, my expectation going into a Special Order is I may have to pay "up to" MSRP for special ordering given where I live and being able to take advantage of the fact there are at least 7 Lexus dealers within an hour drive of my home. I've not had to pay more for the special ordering privilege as some have, but I also recognize I likely pay more than people that like to haggle for a "car on the lot". Personally, when I spend this much for something that is also practically a hobby of mine, and keep them for as long as I generally do, I'm going to get exactly what I want -- even if it does cost me a little more, or I have to wait longer than some. If a vehicle is just transportation, then it's a commodity, and one may be able to live with more compromises to get what they believe is the best price, than I will for my luxury rides at this stage in my life. FWIW, I also will be paying less than MSRP for my Mercedes-Benz SLK when it arrives next month -- also special ordered, and pre-negotiated with a single back-and-forth, so the situation isn't unique to Lexus.

Good luck in your pursuit. Just don't go crazy with all the variables. As I suggest to people, make a list for yourself of what's important, prioritize it, get a "maximum" you'll pay out-the-door number in your head, then GO! You'll be glad you did once you're behind the drivers seat of your new RX!
Old 03-18-13, 12:40 PM
ca92129
Driver School Candidate

I agree that the 'build your own' function on lexus.com is pretty much useless.

If you want to do custom builds, BMW and MB do a much better job as their custom order system is much better than Lexus (much more variations than just 5 bundled option packages), plus you can get similar discount as the ones in the dealers lot, and the wait time is typically less as their SUVs are manufactured in the US.

For Lexus the typical way is to search local deals inventory and find the best match. If you live in an area with many dealers and large inventories, you can get something very close to what you want and save the wait time. That is how most of the lexus buyers (including me) did it.
Old 03-18-13, 03:25 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

> If you live in an area with many dealers and large inventories, you can get something very close to what you want and save the wait time. That is how most of the lexus buyers (including me) did it.

Problem with the RX, if you want either, HUD, ML, Radar Cruise, or all 3, forget it.... special order only, in my case, all 3...and, I wanted special color as well.... unless an exact one was ordered and cancelled, it's not going to happen. Best deals are when you are flexible on options, colors, buy cycle, etc. For example, buy a 13 when the 14's are on the lots.
Bert, I am sure you realize from reading these threads, the upfront discount is a critical factor most participants, evidenced by the hit counts on the threads. And when buyers share numbers like 10-12% discount, I can understand why they also want the best deal. Cars only depreciate, the less you pay up front, the less you loose at sale. In my case, well, it was laborious enough simply trying to get the car ordered, just ran out of nrg for further discounts. Took a month to get the order entered, from the time I had first phone call from Lexus Rep...long after dealer gave up trying to order it. Then 4 months for delivery. Just glad its over, nothing fun about admin process of buying a special order car, specially, as others have suggested, the maker is not well suited for such.

Quick Reply: Need help configuring a 2013 RX350