RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?

Old 04-16-13, 06:57 PM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, looks like my search is over. Chatted with an internet sales guy via cars.com yesterday and went in today to test drive at Prestige Lexus in Ramsey, NJ. 34k miles w/ NAV, Premium Package, Starfire Pearl. The price was $33k and negotiated it down to $31,800. My offer was $31.5 and used Lexus of Whippany's car I saw as a comparable which was priced at $32k with 39k miles same options. Wanted to pay $31.5 but I wasn't going to fight over $300 especially when other places refused to deal a penny.

All in all a great experience. The guy I worked with wasn't a clown like some of the sales guys I worked with at Englewood or Whippany. He treated me respectfully and professionally which I appreciated.

Want to thank all of you for the encouragement and tips. Picking it up tomorrow so I'll post some pics soon.
Old 04-16-13, 07:56 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JPJump, congrats on your new Lexus ... glad you were able to find something that fits your budget and it is what you want. I look forward to the pictures tomorrow. BTW what year is it?
Old 04-17-13, 02:04 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

This was a 2010 that came off of a lease.
Old 04-17-13, 03:06 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats JPJump. Sounds like you got the better deal. Be sure to post some pics of your RX here when you get a chance. It's mandatory
Old 04-18-13, 06:59 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Ran into a snag last night when we went to go close the deal. There are 2 six inch scratches (somewhat deep - picture Freddy Krueger type knife scratch) on the lift gate that runs parallel to each other. I addressed this before I signed the deal and made sure they included it in the contract that it would be buffed and corrected.

Well, I checked it out before closing the deal and sure enough it's still there. It looked like they just cleaned and waxed it. I told the salesman there's absolutley no way I'm closing this deal with the 2 scratches there. Now I understand a minor pebble scratch here and there but these 2 are noticeable.

He spoke to the manager and they agreed to have the body shop sand and repaint. He told me I can drive it home tonight but I said thanks but no thanks. We went to go look at other cars in the lot and long story short, they didn't have another truck that was to our liking.

We went back in to talk and decided to wait & see how the body shop does with the scratches. I didn't hand over the certified check so I only have $500 deposit down to hold the truck which is fully refundable if the correction is not to my satisfaction.

Would you guys walk away at this point?? They were definitely willing to work with me especially with a check in hand. Anything else I should do or ask the dealership to do?
Old 04-18-13, 07:16 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JPJump, I should've gotten you to make the deal for my RX last December LOL
Honestly, what you have done it is what any of us would have done in that sort of situation. I got my RX from Lexus of Manhattan, I don't know if any of you guys been there... there used lot is a room, cars are inches from each other. I honestly, didn't complain when I saw two semi-noticeable scratches on my driver side door. It looked as if whom ever tried to open the car last had keys in their hands. You can't barely see them unless I point them out to you, which I did... told my sales person and told him not to worry but next oil change is free (which I got a certificate for ) Again, that was me... I will try to get a picture so you can know what I mean...

So, don't sweat it man! You're getting what you want and what your money is worth. Trust me, you want that thing as new as possible
Old 04-18-13, 08:32 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that dealer JP and my guess is that they will make it right. I had a pretty nasty door ding that they fixed for me during one of my service visits; I was pleased with the results. Good luck.
Old 04-18-13, 10:36 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

John, you're involved and closer than any of us having seen the car 'AND' it's your money. That being said, if the dealer is working with you and willing to fix it 'prior' to delivery then it sounds like you're on the right track. He'll certainly want you riding before the end of the month which is only 10 days away so you're in the drivers seat now and probably will be 'literally' soon provided the fix is satisfactory to you 'Mr Customer'. Good Job
Originally Posted by JPJump
Ran into a snag last night when we went to go close the deal. There are 2 six inch scratches (somewhat deep - picture Freddy Krueger type knife scratch) on the lift gate that runs parallel to each other. I addressed this before I signed the deal and made sure they included it in the contract that it would be buffed and corrected.

Well, I checked it out before closing the deal and sure enough it's still there. It looked like they just cleaned and waxed it. I told the salesman there's absolutley no way I'm closing this deal with the 2 scratches there. Now I understand a minor pebble scratch here and there but these 2 are noticeable.

He spoke to the manager and they agreed to have the body shop sand and repaint. He told me I can drive it home tonight but I said thanks but no thanks. We went to go look at other cars in the lot and long story short, they didn't have another truck that was to our liking.

We went back in to talk and decided to wait & see how the body shop does with the scratches. I didn't hand over the certified check so I only have $500 deposit down to hold the truck which is fully refundable if the correction is not to my satisfaction.

Would you guys walk away at this point?? They were definitely willing to work with me especially with a check in hand. Anything else I should do or ask the dealership to do?
Old 04-18-13, 11:01 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem when I picked up the vehicle. I had a small rip on the leather and a broken glovebox. I told them to give me $500 off and we will call it a day. They did, I picked it up and I got the glovebox fixed at Lexus for free
Old 04-18-13, 12:24 PM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. They indicated that it would/should be ready by next Tuesday. To add more to this story, I actually test drove another one yesterday with 26K miles (same specs) but was priced at $33,500. I told them I'll take it at the $31.8k we agreed to on the scratched car (34k miles) and I'm not going back to the bank. This check is all you get. Got them down to $32,400 but they wouldn't budge beyond that.

That said, the car smelled like a smoker car which I thought didn't qualify for CPO (correct me if I'm wrong)... There was a burn mark on the carpet (passenger side) so I know someone smoked in it. Anyways, we were off by $600 and I said no so doesn't matter now.

As far as the scratched car is concerned, they wanted me to fork over the check and take the car last night and that they would call me in when they were ready to do the body job (these guys really do think I was born yesterday...). I said to them "not for nothing but why would I do that? If I do that then I'm taking all of the risk and rolling the dice that you guys are going to fix it correctly and I'd be left with no other options." It was a nice try, I'll give them that. We're going to ask for a free oil change like GilIS250 did. Maybe 2 for their sneaky attempt to take my $. lol

John
Old 04-18-13, 05:19 PM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

John, I would ask for two free oil changes and then find a reputable paint shop to get an opinion on the scratches. A dealer's body shop is not necessarily the best quality. Please post pictures when you get the car.
Old 04-18-13, 06:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Chances are the RX will be fixed by an outside body shop. Dealers around here don't have their own. My former installer used to repair Lexus vehicles for a few northern NJ dealers. My dealer has several places they use.

John, at least you have a few more days to keep looking. Good luck.
Old 04-18-13, 07:20 PM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Prestige (Ramsey, NJ) does contract out the body work and the sales guy said he'll make an appointment with whomever they're using. We'll see what happens. Hopefully I won't have to dump the deal altogether since everything else about the car is perfect. I'll bringing my digital SLR next time to snap some pics.
Old 04-18-13, 07:28 PM
relax221
Driver

Default new 2013 rx base model

How much will they go below the msrp ?
Old 04-18-13, 08:17 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

You should keep tabs on this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-2013-rx.html

Should give you a very good idea on pricing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much can you usually negotiate of CPO price?