RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thinking Of Servicing Lexus At Toyota Dealer

Old 03-14-13, 03:44 PM
Golfjunky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking Of Servicing Lexus At Toyota Dealer

We have a 2013 RX350. The first 5000 mile complimentary service is scheduled for next week at the Lexus dealer which is about an hours drive from our home. I believe there is a second complimentary service (10,000 mile) which we will have done at the Lexus dealer also.

After these two services, I was thinking about maybe using the local Toyota dealership for service. The only reason I'm thinking about this is, it's about ten minutes from our house. Much more convenient. My question is, will the service I get at the Toyota dealer be of lesser quality then that at the Lexus dealer? I know Lexus is Toyota, but are the service techs at the Lexus dealer more qualified to work on a Lexus than the Toyota service techs?
Old 03-14-13, 04:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

For the basic stuff like oil changes there is no real difference in the quality of the work. You can use the Express Lube Service at Toyota and can quickly be in and out. You will not get a loaner, the waiting rooms may not be as nice and they may not have food or drink items for you.

If you have a problem you will want to take it to Lexus though.
Old 03-14-13, 05:11 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Right. Many people have posted here that a local Toyota dealership is their preferred and less expensive alternative for standard preventative maintenance, if you're OK with less amenities. Be sure you keep records of the service, and I suggest you use the capability on My Lexus (via Lexus.com, once you've registered your vehicle) to record what you had done so it becomes part of the official maintenance record than will stay with your truck for it's life. You must still go to a real Lexus dealership for anything under warranty.

Me, well, I have 2 Lexus dealers within a 25-minute drive, so I opt for the service, amenities, cushy loaners, ability to roam around new Lexus vehicles at my leisure, and the extra cost that entails most of the time.

Enjoy that RX!
Old 03-14-13, 11:39 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 5,000 mile service is just a tire rotation ... it may be easier to just have it done at the Toyota dealership (and pay the small fee). The 10,000 service is a tire rotation and oil change that can be done at Toyota dealership also (and pay the small fee). Minor service can be done at the Toyota dealership; major service would be worth the drive to your Lexus dealer. Lexus and Toyota vehicles share many engines and parts ... Toyota mechanics will be fine. If you take your car to the Lexus dealership, they may do their standard vehicle assessment and go over that with you. Since your car is new, this will just be confirmation that all is well.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-14-13 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 12:05 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I use Toyota for my oil changes and bring my own oil and pay for labor and filter only. Which is about the same price as them using their own oil and stuff. I just pay $15 for labor and $3.90 for a filter. The main reason why I go to Toyota even though the Lexus dealership is closer is cuz Ive used them for over 12 years and I can stand next to the tech while they perform the services. Lexus doesn't allow that so I don't go to them. Only Lexus can do warranty work so if that's the case u will have to make drive and go to them.
Old 03-15-13, 03:03 AM
lexu1350
Driver School Candidate

Why not,I thought RX is like Highlander in many way's.Just check in their lot before driving off-the oil level
and anything leaking underneath,did oil cap in place,it's just me being cautious.Read many times on car forum of ruin engine or engine problem due to lousy job of oil changes.
Old 03-15-13, 05:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

For all my Lexus vehicles I have owned including the IS 250 AWD which has no mechanical/powertrain equivalent with Toyota, I went and continue to go to my local Toyota dealer minutes away at a third the cost and the work was always without issue. This is for routine maintenance only (oil change, tire rotation, air filter etc.). When I had to change the differential fluid and transmission fluids of my previous RXs however, I went to Lexus though specifically paid for those individual services. Just once with my 400h I went to a popular oil+lube chain and my hybrid malfunction message went on days later, drove it back to Lexus and they fixed the issue under warranty thankfully. Lexus found tampering of various fluids that caused the issue yet they let it go to keep me happy! I will only stick to Toyota or Lexus, especially true with the complex hybrids.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-15-13 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-15-13, 09:54 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Anyone ever try a brake fluid change at Toyota? What was your experience and how much was it?
Old 03-15-13, 11:16 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

They did my mandatory brake flush, and there haven't been any issues. All I remember about the price was it was about 1/2 of the Lexus store quote.
Originally Posted by ericsan13
Anyone ever try a brake fluid change at Toyota? What was your experience and how much was it?
Old 03-15-13, 02:03 PM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I posted elsewhere, just had the 15,000 mile done at a local Toyota for $40.00 including tax.

Their synthetic oil change is $90 plus tax.
Old 03-15-13, 05:08 PM
ca92129
Driver School Candidate

My nearest Lexus dealership in Carlsbad CA is right next door to a Toyota dealership. Once I am done with the first two free maintenance, I will check out the Toyota dealer for sure.

On the other hand, Audi seems to try to distant itself from VW.
Old 03-15-13, 05:32 PM
tim5055
Rookie

I have had much of my service onthe 2000 RX done at Toyota dealers. In some areas the Toyota dealers discourage the practice to keep peace with the Lexus dealers around them.

I have a friend who works for JM Family Enterprises (Southeast Toyota Distributors & JM Lexus). He says that for almost everything, the mechanics for Toyota/Lexus use the same Toyota designed tools/equipment and attend the same or very similar training.
Old 03-15-13, 05:47 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

When I first bought my 2012 RX, I was at my Toyota dealer with my daughter's 2004 Camry.I asked the SA if they did service on Lexus vehicles,he took me to the service bay. Two ES's ,and one late model RX was on their lifts. I thanked him,and said to expect me after my one year of free Lexus service.
Old 03-15-13, 05:51 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ca92129
My nearest Lexus dealership in Carlsbad CA is right next door to a Toyota dealership. Once I am done with the first two free maintenance, I will check out the Toyota dealer for sure.

On the other hand, Audi seems to try to distant itself from VW.
...ah, a neighbor. Howdy! FWIW, Lexus Carlsbad, Toyota Carlsbad, and Lexus Escondido are all owned the same lady. I've been told that Toyota Carlsbad is the #3 largest dealer in the US when it comes to service. When you see their relatively new multi-story service facility on the west side of the 5, you'll know what I mean. My mom swears by her SA at Toyota -- he take FABULOUS care of her each and every time she calls him, finding discounts and being more than fair to her. I'm sold on my SA at Lexus, even without the discounts. Call me crazy, but if I owned a Toyota, I'd go to her SA as well, but prefer the piece of mind, great service, ability to mix in any little warranty items at the same time, "free" cappuccino, and new Lexus loaners when it comes to servicing my Lexus -- even though I pay more than others every year on my annual maintenance jaunt to the dealer.
Old 03-15-13, 06:27 PM
Golfjunky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for the feedback. I will take my RX to the Lexus dealer for the first two complimentary services. After that, I will check with the two local Toyota dealers to see if they do service on Lexus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking Of Servicing Lexus At Toyota Dealer