RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Accident - F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 11:53 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the frame is ok. The gaps are caused by the quarter panel got crushed in.
If the wheel got hit, you may want to have the suspension, axle, wheel bearing checked too.
Old 03-09-13, 01:45 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sad day today

My wife had just parked the car along the curb down OUR street to drop off the kids from school to their friends house. Next thing you know BAM, a Nissan Armada backing out of a driveway from a house across the street smashed into the side-rear of the RX. I'm thankful no one got hurt as my kids had just both got out of the other side facing the sidewalk when the 5500 lb behemoth unleashed its wrath. Lady driver frantically apologized and admitted (police report as well) she only looked one way and didn't see the PARKED RX. Sad and scary that if a child was out in the vicinity...

The entire rear side frame is misaligned with the rear door and hatch. They'll pick it up this weekend and insurance will assess the damage.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any idea if they tap the frame/body back flush or if they cut and re-weld a new flush section? Frame is bent off about a 1/4 inch along the line the door and hatch make.
That looks like a Canadian (GTA) neighbourhood. I need to stay far away from there lol. Hope everything works out for you
Old 03-09-13, 01:58 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That stinks.Sorry for your RXFgetting damaged like that . Didn't the Nissan have a back up camera,or sensors? That should be standard on those big lumpy SUV's.

Thank goodness your Family is unhurt.
Hope you can get it fixed like new.
Old 03-09-13, 03:06 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
that's really something. Cant believe the other driver didnt see such a big car parked. waiting for the day when backup cameras are standard
Vehicles are bigger and bigger with poorer and poorer rear visibility, and many people don't even swivel their heads to back up. We don't need mandatory backup cameras on our vehicles, just more alert drivers.

I thought it was common knowledge to never park opposite a driveway, I always avoid it unless I absolutely can't avoid it. Residential neighborhoods are bad, lot's of inattentive drivers backing out of their driveways without paying attention. "Hey, there never is a car there so why should I look" mentality kicks in.

Your damage can be fixed .... life moves on.
Old 03-09-13, 06:08 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh man....sorry to see this and glad you're alright. The shop should be able to fix it...good luck!
Old 03-09-13, 10:21 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

That might be a write off.
Old 03-09-13, 10:32 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rozay604
That might be a write off.
If by write off you mean totaled, that is hardly enough damage to total a vehicle worth $40K+. As bad as it looks, it's probably all cosmetic since it was a very low speed crash.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-10-13, 03:53 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had exactly the same thing happen to a friend of mine who was parked outside my place. The kid over the road had only had her license less than 24 hours and backed straight into his Kia Sorrento. Not as much damage as yours, and again - thankfully - nobody was hurt.
Old 03-10-13, 05:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Appreciate the comments everyone. GTA neighborhood indeed. Don't know if the Armada had a backup cam but it's useless if it's not used in conjunction with common sense viewing and acknowledgement via your mirrors and looking behind you in all directions. I'm so grateful my daughter went out my son's door towards the curb and not towards the street. We trained them well! The day can't come any sooner for when all cars have cross-traffic/parking alert sensors as a stop gap for negligence.

I took the car for a drive. No rattles or funny sounds. I'd say the suspension is not affected. I even took some hard corners and it carved through the corners with ease. I tested the ML's rear sub and was fine as well since the impact pushed in the the interior trunk panel about an inch inward, plus the rear-seat lever in the same area was popped out.

The estimator then came by with a flat bed and studied and noted the damage. I showed him the gap differences and I said this is at least a $5K job - what do you think? He chuckled, almost laughed and raised his eyebrows. He mentioned the repair will likely involve cutting out the existing rear panel all the way from the roof and re-welding a new one. At least 2 weeks to repair provided parts are available - which would be ironic since I'm about a 45 min drive to the Cambridge plant. The 2012 red Pathfinder will have to do until then.
Old 03-10-13, 01:47 PM
dwlink
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Vehicles are bigger and bigger with poorer and poorer rear visibility, and many people don't even swivel their heads to back up. We don't need mandatory backup cameras on our vehicles, just more alert drivers.
Agree - I don't even use the backup camera unless I'm trying to parallel park in a tight spot. The fish eye effect on it is horrible. Unless you're in a neck brace, drivers have no excuse for not turning their head to look both ways.
Old 03-10-13, 04:21 PM
Poisson
Driver

Default Reversing cameras

Originally Posted by dwlink
Agree - I don't even use the backup camera unless I'm trying to parallel park in a tight spot. The fish eye effect on it is horrible. Unless you're in a neck brace, drivers have no excuse for not turning their head to look both ways.
Maybe going a bit off topic here, but I can't agree with you about not using the camera. As mentioned above, rear visibility is getting worse with each succeeding model (not just Lexus - it's an industry wide trend). Higher belt lines, smaller windows and especially tiny rear windows means it is simply not possible to see something directly behind your vehicle using mirrors or swivelling your head.

Apart from hitting other vehicles, there seems to be at least one little kid run over in a driveway every week. Cameras would go a long way towards alleviating that dreadful situation.

Having had two cars with cameras I wouldn't ever buy one without.
Old 03-11-13, 05:20 AM
TorontoRX
Rookie

It was painful looking at those pics you posted but very happy to hear that the kids are safe. Our rides, as much as we love them, can easily be replaced.

Hope all goes well with the repair, etc.
Old 03-11-13, 12:47 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Man, that sucks. I feel for you. But, I think a good body shop will make it like new. Now finding a good body shop is not always an easy task.
Old 03-12-13, 06:18 AM
Bayman
Rookie

Best of luck Corrado, she will be OK.
Old 03-14-13, 10:04 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks folks.

Relatively good news . No damage to the frame and mainly "cosmetic" damage as some of you have mentioned. The rear quarter panel will get cut out and replaced, as will the rear bumper cover, the ML sub housing (incl sub), and other plastic odds and ends. No damage to suspension either though they will perform a 4 wheel alignment as a precautionary step.

All parts are OEM and paint matched to exacting Lexus "multi-color" paint standards. Paint will be blended into the passenger door and hatch door so hopefully will not show since car/paint is new at only three months old.

$7500 all in - not too bad for a vehicle $60K Cdn which again would indicate no major structural damage/repairs. Hoping to get it in time for our family trip at Easter since the Pathfinder falls noticeably short on refinement and fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Accident - F-Sport