RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Front Bumper Popped out... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 04:16 PM
stockbabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper Popped out... HELP!!

Dealer refusing to fix this vehicle under CPO warranty. I convinced My friend who primarly owned Detroit vehicles to buy a Lexus and now this happens 6 months after purchase from Lexus Dealers.

Dealer refused to fix saying it was a crash. No way, car was fine when brought home by his wife. Please advise.. find attached image

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/img7350c.jpg/
Old 03-07-13, 04:46 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Was that car pulled out of a snow bank? I only ask because of the little door open for a tow line
Old 03-07-13, 05:12 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, it does look like an accident to me...
Old 03-07-13, 05:25 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumpers don't just pop out like that. Either previous owner did something, or you did. Sucks that it happened.
Old 03-07-13, 06:07 PM
jdoolitt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you also posted this in a different area of the forum -specific to your year RX - which was a good thing. It also looks like, it may not be an isolated incident with the 2010 RX's. Then again... It looks more like an accident, or someone yanked it - during a tow. As billy44bo pointed out - the tow cover has been yanked free.. The likelihood of that part popping off on it's own, seems miniscule.
Old 03-07-13, 06:26 PM
stockbabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billy44bo
Was that car pulled out of a snow bank? I only ask because of the little door open for a tow line
No, Not at all. His wife brought it home the night before (Tuesday) from work and when she went to drop her kid in school next morning, found this. The clips were also missing.

So, he took it to the dealer first thing today and the drama started. They refused to fix.
Old 03-07-13, 06:27 PM
stockbabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Bumpers don't just pop out like that. Either previous owner did something, or you did. Sucks that it happened.
It was a Lexus CPO vehicle purchased 6 months back. No accidents or anything. Funny, the pop originated from the passenger side, where most of the complaints has been.
Old 03-07-13, 06:38 PM
stockbabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdoolitt
It looks like you also posted this in a different area of the forum -specific to your year RX - which was a good thing. It also looks like, it may not be an isolated incident with the 2010 RX's. Then again... It looks more like an accident, or someone yanked it - during a tow. As billy44bo pointed out - the tow cover has been yanked free.. The likelihood of that part popping off on it's own, seems miniscule.
Similar Issues reported on another forum that I posted. Here is one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC001
Update :
I have been in contact with Lexus customer service on the loose bumper issue, via e mail. First thing they called the service manager who had told me I caused the problem, then they called me. The problem is back on both sides now. Lexus still has my complaint open, no call back yet after initial contact. The impression I got was that they viewed the bumper as a non problem and was caused by customers being rough on the bumper. Still waiting since 8/10.
Lexus customer service called back today (8/27) and advised that they have a fix that was discussed with the service manager at the dealership. Will take the car in next week. More then.
Old 03-07-13, 06:43 PM
stockbabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
It was CPO certified and purchased from local Lexus dealer for almost $35,000. This issue (although not to this extent) is well documented in the 2010 models made in Canada. This vehicle is also made in Canada.
Old 03-08-13, 06:23 AM
OwenBirch
Driver School Candidate

No clue about the history, but I did remove the front bumper last night:

There's two bolts and two fasteners that hold the bumper by the wheel well. Everything else "snaps" into place near the top fasteners. To the right of the light, there are a couple other fasterners which should have prevented this, in addition to the fasteners for the engine covers that attach to the grill.

In other words, there would have had to have been a very poor installation, skipping several steps, for this to happen without any outside influence.

Having said that, unless any part of the bumper is damaged, all you should need to reinstall is about $20 worth of fasteners.

I also have a Canada-made RX, and the issue of poor fitment by the lights was corrected (well, made better but not perfect) by updated brackets infront of the wheelwell.
Old 03-08-13, 08:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Another member here pulled his bumper off one side after accidentally driving over a tree stump. He was able to snap it back in place. But this looks like some type of bracket failure. Whether it was caused by a defective part or an accident, it's hard to tell. I would thoroughly check the history of the RX to see if there was a repair requiring removal of the front bumper. The problem with the loose bumper in the other thread is well documented and there is a fix for it. But this case is more extreme. Please keep us posted.
Old 03-08-13, 08:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The early '10's had a problem with the bumper covers but not as bad as that.The bumper cover would drop an inch or two.
Old 03-08-13, 08:52 AM
stockbabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OwenBirch
No clue about the history, but I did remove the front bumper last night:

There's two bolts and two fasteners that hold the bumper by the wheel well. Everything else "snaps" into place near the top fasteners. To the right of the light, there are a couple other fasterners which should have prevented this, in addition to the fasteners for the engine covers that attach to the grill.

In other words, there would have had to have been a very poor installation, skipping several steps, for this to happen without any outside influence.

Having said that, unless any part of the bumper is damaged, all you should need to reinstall is about $20 worth of fasteners.

I also have a Canada-made RX, and the issue of poor fitment by the lights was corrected (well, made better but not perfect) by updated brackets infront of the wheelwell.
Thank You, I will have my friend do this weekend. He was planning to take it to Lexus dealer in Ann Arbour maybe he can have it fixed at home. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-13, 09:58 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

maybe someone tried to steal the bumper cover while it was parked for the night?
Old 03-08-13, 10:10 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

He can just take it to a body shop and get a quote ... it is probably a very inexpensive item to fix immediately. Not worth a lot of worry. They shouldn't drive it around in that condition ... your friend will have a much more expensive problem if the cover gets damaged.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Popped out... HELP!!