RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Some questions on iPhone integration to nav system on 2013 RX and a nav question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 12:00 PM
kryten
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions on iPhone integration to nav system on 2013 RX and a nav question

I just got my 2013 RX350 with nav and have a couple of questions regarding phone integration, mostly around music from my iPhone 5.

1. Gracenote - Should it be possible to see album art on nav screen when doing bluetooth audio? Or only Pandora? How about USB connected? Also will there be gracenote updates available for free?

2. Pandora over bluetooth - no audio. I read this in another thread. A known issue? How often do they update the apps?

3. I just got my RX, but it was built last year. It will not have the latest nav maps etc I presume. Do you usually get free update if one is released within x weeks of you buying a new model? Is there any precedence there?

4. Any tips on things I should setup on the nav that are not done by default? Don't want to be missing any cool little tricks
Old 02-28-13, 01:00 PM
mikeva
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kryten, what I have found on my wife's 2013 RX450h and her 3 previous RX's...

1. Can see album art when connected via usb, do not on bluetooth. Don't have Pandora so can't answer that. In the past I have received Gracenote upgrades during a service and at other times have been told there is a fee.
2. Can't help with this one
3. Have not received nav updates at no charge --- have been told there is a charge.
4.The neatest thing on the new cars is Lexus Enform with eDestination.

Hope this helps....
Old 02-28-13, 01:05 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike, welcome to C/L.
Well, if you can see album art, then that's another change in 2013. I connect my music from iPod with USB and love the setup but no album art.
Originally Posted by mikeva
Kryten, what I have found on my wife's 2013 RX450h and her 3 previous RX's...

1. Can see album art when connected via usb, do not on bluetooth. Don't have Pandora so can't answer that. In the past I have received Gracenote upgrades during a service and at other times have been told there is a fee.
2. Can't help with this one
3. Have not received nav updates at no charge --- have been told there is a charge.
4.The neatest thing on the new cars is Lexus Enform with eDestination.

Hope this helps....
Old 02-28-13, 01:34 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

3. First check to see if you have the latest map updates. Go to your navigation screen- menu-info/apps, and click on map data at the top. If you see 2012 in the top right corner you will have the current maps. If it says 2011 you will have the non current maps, as I have on my 2013. My map data says (2011-06-1). Current maps for the 2013 will be (2012-something). Looks like the current maps were installed around a build date of 06/12. My build date was 04/12 Japan. You can check your build date by looking at the label on the inside drivers door jamb.

As for getting a free update if you don't have the current. I tried, via the 800 Lexus customer service number, and had no luck. I had the same situation on my early release 2010 and was able to get a "goodwill" map update from 8.1 to 9.1 at the time. I'm going to Dallas next week, so may mention it to my dealer. Never know, might get lucky.
Old 02-28-13, 04:55 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

There's an easy way to get an update for free. Just tell the service adviser that the NAV sent you somewhere other than you typed in. I did that and had no problem. If you have a 13, your NAV version should be 12.1. I would assume that's what you have but you should check to be sure. Get to know your SA as they can do things for you for free that would be charged for normally. I give mine a tip every time I go in for service. I've always done that with every dealer I've ever gone to.
Old 02-28-13, 07:38 PM
Cruiter

With the car business being one of my two retirements, I can tell you that if your service person (who is well payed) is taking tips from you, it would be my best guess you won't be seeing him/her very long. Taking them a bottle or something your wife baked at Christmas is a whole different thing, but not tips. Not even ethical that it would be accepted.
Originally Posted by bextreme1
There's an easy way to get an update for free. Just tell the service adviser that the NAV sent you somewhere other than you typed in. I did that and had no problem. If you have a 13, your NAV version should be 12.1. I would assume that's what you have but you should check to be sure. Get to know your SA as they can do things for you for free that would be charged for normally. I give mine a tip every time I go in for service. I've always done that with every dealer I've ever gone to.
Old 03-01-13, 03:43 AM
kryten
Rookie

Thanks for the tips. I'll check the map updates but I think I do have the latest from memory. Will check via USB on album art.

I am already using the eDestination, was so much easier for getting my addresses in there. Very impressed with that.
Old 03-01-13, 05:06 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
With the car business being one of my two retirements, I can tell you that if your service person (who is well payed) is taking tips from you, it would be my best guess you won't be seeing him/her very long. Taking them a bottle or something your wife baked at Christmas is a whole different thing, but not tips. Not even ethical that it would be accepted.
I don't know about where you live, but here in NY a tip goes a long way and as far as I know they can accept it. No one has ever said no to me! For over 30 years, I've been tipping SA's on every car I've owned and when I needed something, I always got taken care of.
Old 03-01-13, 07:45 PM
Cruiter

Frowned on down here in the south. They make a lot of money and taking a tip from one and another not giving would create problems. Personally I wouldn't do business with any dealer that expected tips whether it was warranty or routine service. For warranty it's paid with the price of the car and for routine service it's in their commissions. I can't even fathom the idea and I retired from the business.

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic.
Originally Posted by bextreme1
I don't know about where you live, but here in NY a tip goes a long way and as far as I know they can accept it. No one has ever said no to me! For over 30 years, I've been tipping SA's on every car I've owned and when I needed something, I always got taken care of.