Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Console Storage Box

Old 03-13-13, 10:17 AM   #31
BertL
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT127 View Post
The secret space is in the 2012 models. I checked yesterday. The problem was getting to it. Wife has a lot of stuff crammed in the middle console.
edit: I might be confusing this with extra space below the console tray because it's not like the drawing posted in the manual.
No, we're talking about the "secret space" that is deep down under the bottom of the normal console box area that has the little tray on the top that slides back and forth, that's bottom is close to the real truck's floor level and you can shove most of your arm down and up towards the front of the truck under where the controller is on top. (That's the real space where the manuals can be stored -- interesting to me because if you fiddle with their orientation, they just fit, including the Nav manual. Made me feel like some Lexus Engineer really did design the space specifically for that purpose.)
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 10:30 AM   #32
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

Lexus designed the space in the cavernous middle console to store the manuals. It's mentioned in the manual. Now I haven't checked if it changed on the '13. But I keep mine in the house to save a few MPGs since they weigh so much

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 10:32 AM   #33
kryten
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlz View Post
Lexus designed the space in the cavernous middle console to store the manuals. It's mentioned in the manual. Now I haven't checked if it changed on the '13. But I keep mine in the house to save a few MPGs since they weigh so much
Me too! I am sure I'll find something to put in that space though,
kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 11:26 AM   #34
BertL
Lexus Test Driver

Default "The Secret Space" in Pictures

OK folks, here is a pictorial guide how to access all of the secret space inside my 2013 RX450h. I must believe it's the same in a 2013 RX350 and your 2013 RX450h as well . Pictures are not super bright -- just didn't want to break out all my strobes trying to put any final confusion to rest. Also, I have put a 12" Architect Scale in for dimensional reference. The 5 Steps below correspond to the 5 pictures below the text.

Step 1 -- Open console box lid. What do you find? A tray (just the right size for your iPod or iPhone) and what I'll term "the normal console space" below it.

Step 2 -- Remove the tray. You'll now see the false bottom in the "normal console space", with a tab on the driver's side. Pull it up and flip the cover up towards the passenger side.

Step 3 -- You have now revealed the first part of the secret space.

Step 4 -- Now, locate the next door that is towards the front of the "normal console space" on the driver's side of the USB port. Flip it back towards the driver, to access all of the larger secret area.

Step 5 -- Voila! A much larger area that goes underneath where the remote controller is (it's longer front-to-back than the 12" architect scale used in these photos.) The front area is perfect to vertically store your owner's manual in it's leather case -- it's tight, but fits just fine. Close the little door from Step #4, put your Nav manual and whatever else there. Close the false bottom of the "normal console space" that you opened in Step 2, and you're set to load THE "console space" up again.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 11:58 AM   #35
Bayman
Rookie

You let the cat outta the bag! We can't call it a "secret" compartment anymore. Good pictorial write-up!
Bayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 01:17 PM   #36
FamilyRX
Rookie

Beat me to it.
Attached Images

FamilyRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 03:48 PM   #37
CanadianRX
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRX View Post
Beat me to it.
The biggest beef I have with my 2013 is that they didn't put felt in the secret area. Gotta trade my car in its unacceptable.

Last edited by CanadianRX; 03-13-13 at 03:54 PM..
CanadianRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 02:36 PM   #38
deilenberg
Rookie

Don Eilenberger

So apparently they made it more difficult to get to that space on the '13..

On the earlier RX (10,11,12) you simply lift out the upper trays (there are two of them, one iPod sized and one small size one) then you lift out the big bin (there are thumb holes in it to lift it) and the entire area is revealed, complete with the USB/Aux/lighter ports. I'm guessing they did away with the lift out big bin so it was easier for the salesman to point out the accessory ports..

The manuals and much else could easily fit in the space under the big bin.
Old 03-18-13, 05:20 PM   #39
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Thanks deilenberg. I have all the manuals taking up most of the space in the glove compartment.I didn't realize how deep the center console really is. Well I now have a better spot for the manuals.
GoGiantsNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 09:52 AM   #40
Sfcyclist
Driver

I haven't been back to this forum for a while and it's great to come back and find something new!
Sfcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 01:50 PM   #41
cflutist
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Enjoy.
Thank you so much, I found it.

Cheryl

2014 RX 450h AWD
Attached Images

cflutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 12:44 PM   #42
raylor4
Lead Lap

Default Man cave (Manual cave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlz View Post
Hilarious! Thanks!
Ray A.
raylor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 01:06 PM   #43
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberg View Post
So apparently they made it more difficult to get to that space on the '13..

On the earlier RX (10,11,12) you simply lift out the upper trays (there are two of them, one iPod sized and one small size one) then you lift out the big bin (there are thumb holes in it to lift it) and the entire area is revealed, complete with the USB/Aux/lighter ports. I'm guessing they did away with the lift out big bin so it was easier for the salesman to point out the accessory ports..

The manuals and much else could easily fit in the space under the big bin.
And this is why I came into this thread. This is the answer I was looking for. There is a 'noise' I get that sounds like something is rolling whenever I take a sharp corner and been searching for it ever since I picked up the truck in Aug. BEEN DRIVING ME FRIGGIN INSANE.... Sounds like a bolt or screw rolling back and forth. Now I have one more place to check. If this storage space is empty, I think I'm going to drive to a border crossing, act nervous so they can x-ray the vehicle and find the 'anomaly' lol.

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 08:40 PM   #44
PeteInGilr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
And this is why I came into this thread. This is the answer I was looking for. There is a 'noise' I get that sounds like something is rolling whenever I take a sharp corner and been searching for it ever since I picked up the truck in Aug. BEEN DRIVING ME FRIGGIN INSANE.... Sounds like a bolt or screw rolling back and forth. Now I have one more place to check. If this storage space is empty, I think I'm going to drive to a border crossing, act nervous so they can x-ray the vehicle and find the 'anomaly' lol.
Funny...on my '09 ES350 I had the exact same noise. Sounded like a bolt moving during turns. Turns out my wife put some sunglasses in the center upper storage compartment and while negotiating turns they would slide left and right. Cause=the compartment wasn't felt lined. Took the service department to figure that one out.

Now my '14 doesn't even have that storage compartment.
PeteInGilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 11:29 AM   #45
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInGilr View Post
Funny...on my '09 ES350 I had the exact same noise. Sounded like a bolt moving during turns. Turns out my wife put some sunglasses in the center upper storage compartment and while negotiating turns they would slide left and right. Cause=the compartment wasn't felt lined. Took the service department to figure that one out.

Now my '14 doesn't even have that storage compartment.
I'm back at square one. Compartment was completely empty (not anymore since they manuals have been deposited there). So the search for the 'roller' continues.

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 11:29 AM

Tags
2010, 350, arm, armrest, box, compartments, console, doesnt, es, es330, hidden, lesus, lexas, lexus, open, rest, storage