RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sell 2010 Tahoe LTZ for Touareg TDI or 450h??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 04:14 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell 2010 Tahoe LTZ for Touareg TDI or 450h??

Just starting to shop around for a different SUV. Not even sure if we will go through with this but the 14mpg on our Tahoe is getting old. This would be my wife's SUV and our boys are 4 and 8. There is no real reason why we have Tahoe but the options and space inside sure is nice. Hopefully we haven't become too comfortable with the unnecessary space.

Anyway, has anyone made the switch from a full sized SUV to a Touareg diesel or Lexus 450h? For me in order to make it worth it I feel the TDI is the way to go on the Touareg. I've got a budget in mind of $40Kish with heated seats and navigation being a must. Also, is there a way or an option for a rear DVD player?

So far we are considering the Audi Q5 2.0T and maybe the Lexus 450h and the TDI Touareg. I don't think a MB with diesel is within my budget. I'd like to get no older than a 2012 or 2011, maybe a 2010 if need be.

Anyone make the switch from a full sized SUV to the 450h?
Old 02-24-13, 04:29 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

Take the Lexus RX450H. So worth it. I have a full sized SUV (Lexus LX470) and a crossover SUV (Lexus rx300). I bought both brand new and have loved every second of it! I have 3 kids (17,16 and 15). They argue when in the RX now because the back seat is small for 3 teenagers, but for 2 kids it's perfect. I remember when they were little, the car was perfect. It should never be a problem for you because you have 2 kids and they will never be sitting next to each other. You will love the RX because they are amazing cars that will last a lifetime. I did a quick search on cars.com and saw a 2011 rx450h with only 10,000 miles for $35,900, which is under your budget.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 02-24-13, 04:35 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Don't know how I missed that one! It would need to be CPO at least. Some of those dealers in the Lancaster area buy from the auction and often don't have the best cars.

Not sure I'd trust a place like that. It would need to be from a private owner or from Lexus dealer.

Last edited by SeaNile; 02-24-13 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-24-13, 05:52 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

You can't really get either for 40k unless you're buying used and I wouldn't buy a used German. Ever. The Touareg is going to drive like a truck. It'll tow plenty. The RX is going to drive like what it is; a Camry/ES350 wagon with a lift kit. It won't tow ****. I've driven a number of GMT900 trucks and SUVs. They drive like trucks. The RX is going to be much more comfortable.

All depends on what you're looking for in your SUV. If it's never going to tow and the most Sport Utility-ing you're going to do is climbing the ramps into the mall parking lot, get the RX.
Old 02-24-13, 06:09 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

There will be no towing of any kind from this SUV. Being my wife's daily driver it'll get plenty of suburban living errands and shuttling kids around. I guess what we are worried about is giving up all the space in the Tahoe. Although realistically we never really need all the space it is nice to think that we can carry our kids as their friends!
Old 02-24-13, 06:22 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by SeaNile
There will be no towing of any kind from this SUV. Being my wife's daily driver it'll get plenty of suburban living errands and shuttling kids around. I guess what we are worried about is giving up all the space in the Tahoe. Although realistically we never really need all the space it is nice to think that we can carry our kids as their friends!
This car is perfect for you! It's a GREAT car for kids, and I'm sure they will love it. It is a step up from Chevrolet. Also carrying kids is no problem because I could easily fit four/five 10 year olds in the back seat of my RX back in the day.
Old 02-24-13, 06:39 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday was 12.9mpg in the Tahoe and today was 13.9. That alone makes me want to get rid of it!

Wife just drive our friends 2010 450h and liked it. Definitely drives very nice and I'm sure we could make the rear cargo area work. If we ever need to jam one of the cars up my Pilot can be used.

Is the real world MPG on the 450h really mid 20's?

If we do move in the direction of a 450h it would need to be CPO with a lot of warranty. You know, just incase something goes wrong.
Old 02-24-13, 07:27 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

Yes, my friend gets around 28 on his 450h.

I wouldn't recommend limiting yourself to just a cpo because the car you will get will be practically new (below 20k miles). It would be a plus, but not a deal breaker IMO. Also the hybrids come with a 8 year/100k warranty.
Old 02-24-13, 07:58 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

We'll see what happens. Need to decide on a SUV, sell the Tahoe and look at the prices of the 450h. Definitely not spending 55K but if there is a leftover 12 around for low 40's might make sense to buy new.

Really impressed with the 450h so far. I think it'll come down to Touareg TDI or the 450h. Might be new 2012 Touareg vs 2011 450h for low to mid 40's.
Old 02-24-13, 08:04 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm coming from 4 VW products over the last 6 years. In the last four, the VW service has been terrible, the cars seem to have more issues lately, and VW has been cheapening the ownership experience over the years. 4 years of warranty to 3 years but with maintenance, and now to just 3 years. I just got out of one car which was a 45k CC VR6 executive that I filed lemon law on over the fuel system for a defect the manufacturer knew about for the full 7 months I litigated them. Only when the state was to fine them 10k a day did they move.

Car ownership is not only about the vehicle but also the service after the sale. For the same money approximately, the lexus will amaze you in comparison. Look at the car ergonomics, materials, and ask a few customers in each dealers service area their thoughts on the brand. I'm also trying to dump our VW SUV because of all the electrical issues and flaws it has. Can't unlock the doors, A/C and radio controls freezing up, and lots of other things with the engine. German. Cars have a nice road feel, but I also no longer wish to live part time in a dealership service area.
Old 02-24-13, 08:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't know how I missed that one! It would need to be CPO at least. Some of those dealers in the Lancaster area buy from the auction and often don't have the best cars.

Not sure I'd trust a place like that. It would need to be from a private owner or from Lexus dealer.
Welcome to Club Lexus, SeaNile.

As for which vehicle, if you do a lot of long haul highway driving the TDI makes a lot of sense. If you are more short haul, local driving, then the hybrid makes better sense when it comes to gas mileage.

If the RXh you find still has any of the original warranty left, 48 months from in-service date or 50K miles, you can purchase an extended warranty for the RX. The money you would save on a CPO vehicle can be put towards this. CPO is not always what it is cracked up to be and quality varies from dealer to dealer.

Have your VIN ready and contact Jerry. He has helped many club members with this exact topic.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Old 02-24-13, 08:10 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Good feedback so far. Not sure I've heard anything negative about a Lexus. As of now my wife really likes likes the 450h.

My wife drives 95% short distance and around town. Somehow she can rack up 15K miles a year but it really is mostly local running around.
Old 02-24-13, 08:20 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you drive local a lot, get the hybrid. If you drive highway a lot, go for the diesel.
Old 02-24-13, 08:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Good feedback so far. Not sure I've heard anything negative about a Lexus. As of now my wife really likes likes the 450h.

My wife drives 95% short distance and around town. Somehow she can rack up 15K miles a year but it really is mostly local running around.
That is not abnormal regarding yearly mileage if you are anywhere near where I grew up in PA. Was always a drive to get anywhere and if you have kids to take to practice or other events the miles rack up quick. Even a quick trip to the store was twenty miles round trip and the area around Lancaster is still very rural from what I remember though it has been a few years.
Old 02-24-13, 09:34 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie1600
If you drive local a lot, get the hybrid. If you drive highway a lot, go for the diesel.
This should really be the deciding factor! A hybrid excels in city stop and go driving. Out on the freeway, it isn't much better than a regular gasoline powered vehicle. The diesel excels on long constant speed drives on the highway. For your purpose, the RX450h is ideal. Plus, you won't have to worry about her getting stuck somewhere because of reliability issues.
Steve

Quick Reply: Sell 2010 Tahoe LTZ for Touareg TDI or 450h??