RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sell 2010 Tahoe LTZ for Touareg TDI or 450h??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 04:59 AM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I could say the desire to look for a different SUV is 100% financial. Doesn't everyone like getting a new or different car? Once we continue to consider the size and come to a decision then all the other factors will come to play. Simple things like the Tahoe will need new tires within a few months, it's out of warranty, etc. If the size works for us I'd gladly pay a few thousand difference in cost for a 450h with warranty. It's also really hard to ignore the MPG too. Filled up the Tahoe last Thursday for $93, then again today, going on a trip Wed-Fri and will need to fill up again on Saturday or Sunday at the latest. I know it's directly related to the amount we are driving but that's about $275 in gas within the past 9 days.
Old 02-26-13, 05:35 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

John, in June of 2009 I went from my 03 RX300 to my current 2010 RX450h and have never looked back. Both cars of course have been rock solid in performance, safety, and reliability since day one, but the extra money invested in the (h) has certainly paid off. 1st, it's a model up so you expect to give extra just for that but it includes (in addition to the hybrid components) extra trim and features such as the VDIM. Then you get the extra economy that for me was in the neighborhood of an increase of nearly 10mpg. I already know from resale figures that when it's time to sell or trade I'll get a sizable chunk of the initial increase back as well. Then there's other intangible benefits like all the additional technology, the fact that insurance companies such as USAA have rated it very high on their list of cars they like to insure, etc.

Just offering the musings of a happy owner .
Originally Posted by SeaNile
Not sure I could say the desire to look for a different SUV is 100% financial. Doesn't everyone like getting a new or different car? Once we continue to consider the size and come to a decision then all the other factors will come to play. Simple things like the Tahoe will need new tires within a few months, it's out of warranty, etc. If the size works for us I'd gladly pay a few thousand difference in cost for a 450h with warranty. It's also really hard to ignore the MPG too. Filled up the Tahoe last Thursday for $93, then again today, going on a trip Wed-Fri and will need to fill up again on Saturday or Sunday at the latest. I know it's directly related to the amount we are driving but that's about $275 in gas within the past 9 days.
Old 02-26-13, 07:30 AM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Funny how one can rationalize things. Just got a text from my wife saying the change oil light came on, the low fuel indicator is on and the AC icon is blinking. Sounds like the perfect time to get rid of it.

I think we realize the size and space in the Tahoe is a bit extreme and we don't need it. It's just a matter of being used to the space inside.
Old 02-26-13, 07:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Just keep in mind, if you get a Lexus, you won't be able to rationalize the same way in the future.
For all of older Toyota-built vehicles I traded in the past, I had to imagine something breaking in the future and I was preemptively taking care of it.

The interior of RX is awesome and the space is just right. It is not small by any means.
Old 02-26-13, 08:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

SeaNile, sounds like you'll be making your decision sooner than later. I know someone that got rid of his Tahoe a few months ago due to various problems and is now driving an MB sedan. He has two kids under the age of 7. The only time he said he'll miss the space is when they go on vacation. But it hardly justifies having a big SUV the rest of time. You'll get used to a smaller vehicle. BTW, the 450h can go 10K between oil changes and should be lower to maintain overall because there's less things to fail/break. Dump the Tahoe!
Old 02-26-13, 10:53 AM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to list the Tahoe for sale today on cars.com. If we get a few good leads and it sells that would be awesome. If not I will wait till the perfect 450h comes to a dealer and see what they offer on a trade.
Old 02-26-13, 11:59 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Vlad, you have a unique way of rationalizing, not totally different than mine . Careful or an ad company might plagiarize your words.
Originally Posted by vlad_a
Just keep in mind, if you get a Lexus, you won't be able to rationalize the same way in the future.
For all of older Toyota-built vehicles I traded in the past, I had to imagine something breaking in the future and I was preemptively taking care of it.
Old 02-26-13, 12:12 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how one can rationalize things. Just got a text from my wife saying the change oil light came on, the low fuel indicator is on and the AC icon is blinking. Sounds like the perfect time to get rid of it.

I think we realize the size and space in the Tahoe is a bit extreme and we don't need it. It's just a matter of being used to the space inside.
It certainly sounds like a good time to see what you can get for it but I'd look into that blinking AC light and see what it means. It will be hard to sell with a blinking light on the dash.
Old 02-26-13, 12:18 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Vlad, you have a unique way of rationalizing, not totally different than mine . Careful or an ad company might plagiarize your words.
LOL.
Otherwise, these cars just keep driving and driving and driving. How's that for plagiarizing?
Old 02-26-13, 06:46 PM
troymac
Driver School Candidate

Default Get the 450h

It's a wonderful car your wife will love ... You will forget you ever had the Tahoe.
Old 02-27-13, 05:20 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't know how I missed that one! It would need to be CPO at least. Some of those dealers in the Lancaster area buy from the auction and often don't have the best cars.

Not sure I'd trust a place like that. It would need to be from a private owner or from Lexus dealer.

Price may indicate it was special ordered without all the options they force on you when you take one off the floor. You still have factory warranty and should be able to purchase a Lexus extended warranty. Check the car-fax.
Old 02-27-13, 07:26 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

18.2 mpg getting to our destination. 99% highway driving. That's actually about the best I can ever remember getting in this Tahoe.
Old 03-02-13, 07:44 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Think I found the one to buy, but I need to sell the Tahoe first.

Wife is out tonight with her friend who has a 2010 450h. Can't wait to hear what she thinks of the 450h.