RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 06:54 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2013 RX350 Replacement Tires Pirelli?

Has anyone had experience good or bad with Pirelli? I did rotations regularly and at 31,000 my Michelin Latitudes are down to 5/32. Thanks !

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....onsumerReviews
Old 05-15-15, 06:13 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

We put on a set of Pirellis a couple of weeks ago. My better half drove the car home (8 or 9 miles), and I asked her if she noticed any difference. She is definitely NOT a car person, and in 40+ years I don't think she has ever acknowledged anything about how a car drives or handles. To my shock, she said it felt "more stable"! Honestly, I don't drive her car that much, but although I like the feel and responsiveness with the Pirellis, I'm probably not a great judge. I have noticed a firmer ride, but it's not objectionable even with the notoriously bumpy concrete roads around our house. I have also noticed that they are significantly more quiet than the OEM Dunlops, and they have been very good in the wet weather we've had for the past couple of weeks.
Old 05-15-15, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Woody, I'm curious if you or your wife had the feeling like you were riding higher? That was the first thing I noticed when I drove off. Stable is a great word to describe the way they are. Dunlops are mushy in comparison. Enjoy the Pirellis.
Old 05-17-15, 01:42 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Does Miles Per Gallon go down on Pirellis compared to OEM Michielin? Thanks
Old 05-17-15, 02:35 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

When I was researching brands, the Scorpion Verdes claimed a 1-2 MPG increase. It's not the reason I bought them but I haven't seen an impact on mileage. On a side note, I had the 450h in for service yesterday. They're at 8/32 after 22K miles. I'm happy with that.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-17-15 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 05:21 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

It hasn't been very long, but we haven't noticed any changes in mileage. According to Tire Rack (which has an awesome web site), these have low rolling resistance to increase mileage. I could be convinced otherwise, but I tend to question that type of claim as marketing hype. To be honest though, I'm not sure we're a good resource for mileage info. We just don't watch it closely enough to see a 1 or 2 MPG change one way or the other.

I asked Elinor if she felt like she was sitting higher with her new tires, Kitlz. She said she didn't notice it, but I have to remind you that she really isn't a car person. I was REALLY surprised that she noticed any difference at all, but she reaffirmed her earlier comment when she said she feels a lot more confident with these tires. Especially in the wet! I drive the RX only occasionally, so I wouldn't necessarily feel a difference. After getting out of my CT with lowering springs, it is always a shock to be sitting so high.

Last edited by User 41924; 05-18-15 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 08:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks Woody. The firmer, higher ride was the first thing I noticed. And I agree about the increase in confidence level. That's the main reason I ditched the Dunlop Grand Treks with only 16.5K miles on them. They were losing grip fast. My favorite feature with the Scorpion Verdes is not having to add air every few weeks. Now I can add longevity to the list.
Old 05-18-15, 04:17 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK so update on the Michelin Latitude Tour HP I had fitted. Its been just over 2k miles

Tyres are still eerily quiet - they complement the hybrid very well and at highway speed (approx 80-100mph) they're barely audible. Very pleased with the noise levels of the tyres

Something Ive noticed every time I get in the car is that they are super smooth! They feel sublime on a smooth road and on bumpy roads, they handle the surface of the road very well, much better than the Dunlops I had.

Handling wise - they are very very very good. I took a sharp turn at 30mph and they stuck like glue. I was honestly quite surprised. I was expecting them to let go but they hung on well. Very good in the wet too, and we've had a lot of that over here recently!

Economy has gone up from 26mpg (UK) to 30mpg (UK) with lower tyre pressures. Theyll get bumped to 37psi all around next week at 30k service so should hit 33mpg!

Im very pleased with them and would definitely recommend to anyone who's changing tyres on their RX.

Im annoyed at myself for not changing them sooner, im only going to be using them for a year - pre-ordered the 2016 RX last week :P
Old 05-25-15, 12:53 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Changed Out My Tires Again

So I just replaced my second set of Michelin tires this past Friday with Pirelli Scorpio Verde all season Plus at 93,702 miles. I believe these are the new improved version of the original Pirelli Scorpio Verde all season. They come with a 65k mile warranty over the older ones which had a 50k mile warranty. The price at Discount tire was $210 per tire. Discount had their Memorial Day promotion which was a $100 rebate and Pirelli was also running a $60 off promotion. I was shocked to see both promotions running together, as it usually one or the other. Because my Michelin tires wore out before the 55k mile warranty, discount tire prorated them. Due to a recent flat, I received proration on only 3 Michelin tires. So my original total with everything came out to 1,018.77. After all discounts, prorations, and rebates my total cost on these tires was around $637.00 out the door. I refused to pay for the TPMS rebuilt kit($32), tire disposal fee($10). They also discounted the install and lifetime spin balance fee from $64 to $16. The tire proration was $55.33 a tire, for a total discount of $166. I'm sure I'm forgetting something as my numbers don't seem to add up correctly. All in all I'm out $637 on this new set.
I've only added about 200 miles on them so far but they are a nice improvement over the Michelins they replaced. The ride is just very slightly firmer, and road noise is not bad. I feel very confident when turning fast as they don't feel mushy like the Michelins did. I feel the pirellis give the RX a nice sportier feel. These seem to be an improved version of the original Pirelli Scorpio Verde and so far I love them. I don't think I will be switching back to the Michelins anytime soon. I wasn't too happy with how fast they wore out even with weekly air checks and on time tire rotations. Glad I was able to get them prorated, saved me a few bucks. Once I get closer to 10k miles on these, I'll post another review.
Old 05-25-15, 01:02 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dotbowels
Has anyone had experience good or bad with Pirelli? I did rotations regularly and at 31,000 my Michelin Latitudes are down to 5/32. Thanks !

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....onsumerReviews
My second set of Michelins wore out faster then the original set my RX came with. I had the air checked weekly. I also did regular rotation and balance every oil change (7,500 miles). I don't know if they changed the compound or something but the Michelins didn't last to long at all. I switched over to Pirelli this past Friday.
Old 05-25-15, 01:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sevn86, thanks for your review on the Pirellis. They give the RX a boost on the sporty factor, something I really like. No mush! There were some improvements made to them including to the warranty since I installed mine. Back then they were comparable to the Michelins warranty-wise, a little higher tread wear rating, and $50 less. I'm glad you were able to get some money back to made them even cheaper. I wish you lots of luck. Enjoy the ride
Old 05-26-15, 01:06 PM
BlakeAlden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have 245/60-18's on their RX 350, instead of 235/60-18's and if so any photos? Thanks.
Old 06-01-15, 05:36 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sevn86, thanks for your review on the Pirellis. They give the RX a boost on the sporty factor, something I really like. No mush! There were some improvements made to them including to the warranty since I installed mine. Back then they were comparable to the Michelins warranty-wise, a little higher tread wear rating, and $50 less. I'm glad you were able to get some money back to made them even cheaper. I wish you lots of luck. Enjoy the ride
Hi Anita,

Thank you! I did want to add that I noticed as if I was sitting higher. I don't know if it's just in my head, but I do agree with you on that one. I'm not entirely sure how that's possible, but I do feel like im sitting higher. Also now that I've put on close to 1k miles on these, the ride seems to have improved. Cornering with these tires is awesome! Feel super confident with these. The side walls seem to be stiffer then the Michelins, but I don't feel that affecting the ride quality at all. I also had the pressure adjusted to 35psi. Will keep everyone posted as I add more miles. So far it's a big and I highly recommend them.
Old 06-01-15, 04:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks Sevn for confirming the higher up feeling with the Pirellis. It's the weirdest thing. I can't explain it either, it just feels that way. I'm glad you're liking them so far and look forward to more reports. Geez you put on the miles, LOL!
Old 06-03-15, 10:22 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pirelli tire

Hello,
After reading all the posts these past couple of months and contributing my 2 cents worth I have gone and bought tires.............finally.

I have a 2013 RX with the 19" wheels. The best reviews for my size wheel/tire is the Pirelli's Scorpion Verde A/S + . I was waiting for a sale and finally Sams Club had one which included a $60 rebate. Was not impressed with the people who waited on me (went to two clubs) and so left with no purchase.

I went to Kaufman Tire and was going to just make an inquiry. Their price was $100 cheaper even with Sam's $60 rebate. All 'perks' (what all tire stores give you) were included. I was very satisfied with the service.

I just completed a 600+ mile trip and AM VERY SATISFIED WITH THE TIRE!!! They ride very nice. Noise? compared to what? definitely quieter than the Dunlop's that were on there. Some have noted a 'sense' of riding higher? MMMMMM...maybe??? All in all a very worthwhile purchase.

Just as a side note the Dunlop's had 45+,000 miles on them and maybe still had another 3-5K miles left. But they rode not so nice; were noticeably noisy and the deal at Kaufman was to good to pass up.

I have been a Michelin tire person for decades: Suburban's, Tahoe's, Highlander and Vette's and all had Michelin's. These Pirelli's are equal and maybe with time I'll say they're better????

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread