RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 12:49 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My experience with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP All Season tires that came on my 2015 Lexus RX450h has been very bad. I looked their rating up on Tire Rack site and they are rated very poor for snow and ice and that has been my experience here in Chicago. I also had a sidewall blowout (2" gap) on a tire with less than 7000 miles that Michelin refused to honor their Warranty. Their excuse was "it was probably caused by a road hazard" even though I told them it blew out at 30 mph on a smooth surface. I would recommend Bridgestone Blizack or Winter Dueler tires that I had on a previous vehicle I was driving in Ontario, Canada on heavy snow and ice.

My F-150 came with Pirelli's and one of those tires threw a piece of tread at about 10,000 miles. I have never had any issues with Bridgestone tires.
Old 02-09-15, 07:23 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Put Yokohama YK580s on - LOVE them!

I was one of the unfortunate folks who had the OE Dunlops on my RX350. I've hated those tires since the day I bought my vehicle (3/1/14). The road noise was horrendous.

The tread was down to 5/32" and 6/32", and not that that's really replacement range, I replaced them. (They had almost 19,000 miles on them.) I'm amazed that I lived with them for 11 months -- it's not like me to be aggravated for that long.

Anyway, the Yokohamas are so great compared to the Dunlops. (FWIW, I have Yokohama Advan S4s on my Mustang so this isn't my first experience with them.) My vehicle feels so stable, rides fabulously, not hearing road noise, and the front tires don't spin nearly as easily (if at all) as the Dunlops did (like on a fast take off). I didn't realize exactly how crappy the Dunlops (the ride sucked) (Craplops) were until I replaced them. BEST $982 I ever spent! And I have to give it to Discount Tire -- new tires - in and out in 45 minutes! If that had been Hibdon, it would have been at least a half day affair.

Just thought I'd share my experience. BTW, I looked at the OE Michelins but I just wasn't going to pay $1,300 for tires and now I know for sure, it's not even a little bit necessary to do so IMO.
Old 02-09-15, 08:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Keep us posted on the Yokohamas, Kimberly. I didn't get that many miles on the Dunflops, I thought they were ok. But like you, it was a world of difference when I changed tires. Good luck.
Old 02-09-15, 10:58 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is good to know about the yokohamas. I am also looking at the Toyo Versado, as they have gotten great reviews as well.
Old 02-10-15, 10:11 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Keep us posted on the Yokohamas, Kimberly. I didn't get that many miles on the Dunflops, I thought they were ok. But like you, it was a world of difference when I changed tires. Good luck.
I'll do it.

That's the other astounding part to this: those Dunlops only had 19,000 miles on them. At $225 per tire, I certainly would've expected a lot better than that. I know none of them go as long as the manufacturer claims (I also realize most have quit claiming altogether), but for that kind of money, I would've expected them to be at least a 50,000 mile tire - no way mine would've made it anywhere near that long. The YK580s have a 60,000 mile warranty.
Old 02-10-15, 03:59 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car had a two inch blowout in the sidewall and Michelin refused to honor their warranty because the Michelin retail dealer thru the tire away after inspecting it. I could take them to arbitration but that takes 2-3 years and a lot of my time. I learned my lesson, I will keep the next damaged tire.
Old 02-11-15, 10:19 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by klwagoner
I'll do it.

That's the other astounding part to this: those Dunlops only had 19,000 miles on them. At $225 per tire, I certainly would've expected a lot better than that. I know none of them go as long as the manufacturer claims (I also realize most have quit claiming altogether), but for that kind of money, I would've expected them to be at least a 50,000 mile tire - no way mine would've made it anywhere near that long. The YK580s have a 60,000 mile warranty.
Appreciate it.

If you look at the beginning of the thread, you'll see I replaced the Dunflops at 16,000 miles. Once I have the slightest bit of discomfort while driving, the tires go. That moment was going uphill in a turn. Roads were damp at the time but not icy. The grip wasn't there. I drive that route every day so I started researching new tires immediately. Yokohamas were on the short list but I wound up going with the Pirellis . I think they compliment the sportier suspension on my 450h very well too.

The OEM tire selection is probably the one gripe I have with Lexus. None of my RXs have gone beyond 18,000 miles before replacement. Badyears, LOL! Maybe I could have squeaked another one or two more thousand out of them. But they usually failed right before winter. No way I'd start the season with crappy tires. All were replaced with non-OEM tires. I can't say how long they lasted since I barely broke 50,000 miles before trading in. Though the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on the 330 were replaced a few months before taking delivery on the 450h because of uneven wear at 36,000 miles. They were the best tires in the snow BTW. That's the only time I went back to OEM Michelins.
Old 02-12-15, 05:21 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok so after 26k miles, the Dunlops on the Front are <3mm. Legal limit in the UK is 1.6mm and by the time my service comes in May, Im sure they'll be on the legal limit or slightly higher. Anyway, the rear's are fine - 5.2mm on them so dont need chucking out yet.

Im planning on just replacing the front's, would Michelin's on the front be ok with dunlops on the rear? Both labelled as summer tyres over here and the same load and speed rating of 101V.

Edit - Oh and when I say replacing the Front's - I mean replacing the front, then putting the front to the back
Old 02-12-15, 06:38 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayaans
Ok so after 26k miles, the Dunlops on the Front are <3mm. Legal limit in the UK is 1.6mm and by the time my service comes in May, Im sure they'll be on the legal limit or slightly higher. Anyway, the rear's are fine - 5.2mm on them so dont need chucking out yet.

Im planning on just replacing the front's, would Michelin's on the front be ok with dunlops on the rear? Both labelled as summer tyres over here and the same load and speed rating of 101V.

Edit - Oh and when I say replacing the Front's - I mean replacing the front, then putting the front to the back
It's not a good idea to replace two tires. Bite the bullet and replace all four Dunlops with quality tires. Check Tirerack for owners ratings on top "SUV/CUV touring all season".
Old 02-12-15, 07:10 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdshaw
It's not a good idea to replace two tires. Bite the bullet and replace all four Dunlops with quality tires. Check Tirerack for owners ratings on top "SUV/CUV touring all season".
Whats wrong with just replacing 2 tyres? Its not like im mixing tyres on one axle. They're on different axles anyway and both are summer tyres?
Old 02-12-15, 07:39 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayaans
Whats wrong with just replacing 2 tyres? Its not like im mixing tyres on one axle. They're on different axles anyway and both are summer tyres?

1) It will look awful.
2) It isn't safe.
Do what you want - it's your vehicle.
Old 02-12-15, 04:17 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdshaw

1) It will look awful.
2) It isn't safe.
Do what you want - it's your vehicle.
How is it not safe? Its no good saying its not safe if there's no evidence for it. The only evidence I can find is if you have different type of tyres on one axle compared to the other eg winter tyres on back and summer tyres on the front

Would hardly look bad - My Merc has different tyres front and back - hardly noticeable
Old 02-12-15, 06:41 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT
My experience with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP All Season tires that came on my 2015 Lexus RX450h has been very bad. I looked their rating up on Tire Rack site and they are rated very poor for snow and ice and that has been my experience here in Chicago. I also had a sidewall blowout (2" gap) on a tire with less than 7000 miles that Michelin refused to honor their Warranty. Their excuse was "it was probably caused by a road hazard" even though I told them it blew out at 30 mph on a smooth surface. I would recommend Bridgestone Blizack or Winter Dueler tires that I had on a previous vehicle I was driving in Ontario, Canada on heavy snow and ice.

My F-150 came with Pirelli's and one of those tires threw a piece of tread at about 10,000 miles. I have never had any issues with Bridgestone tires.
I'm having Brimstone Ecopia 422 now. I would like to try Michelin Latitude Tour HP but your comments scare me. I'm in Boston and we have ton tons of snow now

I also bought the Road Hazard insurance for $107 (4 wheels Ecopia 422) and got replace one so it paid for itself

Last edited by sweetboy02; 02-17-15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 11:21 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Buying Experience at Costco

I was going to maybe put this in the existing tire thread but thought it might get lost/overlooked in there so am starting this.

Went to Costco to price/buy tires. I have read many positive comments about the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia 422. Even though my tire tire size which is 19" is only a "H" rated tire most folks commented that even tho The RX comes with "V" rated tires the "H" would be OK. I even called a Lexus dealer and they were OK with it too.

NOT COSTCO. The representative for Costco was adamant that I DO NOT....SHOULD NOT put a "H" rated tire on my vehicle. He wanted to steer me to a Michelin or something else. He stated that my ride would NOT BE SAFE. The ride would be 'squishy' and my steering and braking would be compromised very negatively. I walked out. P.S. -> the pricing includes changing the valve stems because of the tire pressure monitoring...$3 a tire....again being somewhat adamant that this needs to be done....Why....because if I don't then the warranty of the tire is voided!!!!

I'm hoping this guy is just a bad rep. and Costco gets rid of him.

There have been some of you RX owners who have put on Bridgestone 422's right? and you did/do like them...right????
Old 02-24-15, 12:41 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bob, I think he's right to protect his rep in recommending an OEM tire whether it be Michelin, Bridgestone, or Brand X as well as keeping the OEM tire specs. If you check your manual it will also recommend the same tire ratings (specs) as came on the car, as they're what the engineers designed it to operate on with the highest combination of mileage, handling, and safety at speeds the car is capable of. When I was pricing my tires, I used COSTCO and was going to do business with them but my local Lexus dealer agreed to their price and the hazard warranty would be good around the U S at any Lexus store so it was a no-brainer but I've been very happy with COSTCO in the past. Changing the stems for $3 per is also not an outrageous price for the added security. The replacement of them may also be required for warranty, I'm not positive. Paying several hundred too much is one thing, but small differences to stay OEM equipped should be a priority for safety and a better driving car. You obviously posted to get a response from others so .....
Originally Posted by NorthGa
I was going to maybe put this in the existing tire thread but thought it might get lost/overlooked in there so am starting this.

Went to Costco to price/buy tires. I have read many positive comments about the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia 422. Even though my tire tire size which is 19" is only a "H" rated tire most folks commented that even tho The RX comes with "V" rated tires the "H" would be OK. I even called a Lexus dealer and they were OK with it too.

NOT COSTCO. The representative for Costco was adamant that I DO NOT....SHOULD NOT put a "H" rated tire on my vehicle. He wanted to steer me to a Michelin or something else. He stated that my ride would NOT BE SAFE. The ride would be 'squishy' and my steering and braking would be compromised very negatively. I walked out. P.S. -> the pricing includes changing the valve stems because of the tire pressure monitoring...$3 a tire....again being somewhat adamant that this needs to be done....Why....because if I don't then the warranty of the tire is voided!!!!

I'm hoping this guy is just a bad rep. and Costco gets rid of him.

There have been some of you RX owners who have put on Bridgestone 422's right? and you did/do like them...right????

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread