RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 11:49 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have experience with both...

Originally Posted by Poker450H
I am new to this forum - although I have read this entire thread & the previous one devoted to this topic. Thank you Anita for starting this thread.

I need to replace the tires on my 2010 450H. I am replacing the dealer installed Dunlops, which we put over 45k miles on. Like everyone else, didn't like those, so will be replacing with something else. Based on the info on this thread and reviews on TireRack, I think I have it narrowed down to 2 models:

Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia 422
Michelin Latitude Tour HP

I have the 19" rim. I live in CT. We do get a lot of snow, and the local roads are very curvy and narrow. I would also prefer a softer ride vs. a harder, sportier ride. Based on info, I ruled out the Pirelli's as people said they had a harder ride.

Seems like the majority were putting on the Michelin's for a while. Now seems like there has been a switch to Bridgestone's.

An suggestions as to which would be better in the bad weather & offer a softer ride?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Both are good. Bridgestones are better.
Old 10-23-14, 04:12 PM
Poker450H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks- I ordered the Bridgestones.
Old 11-03-14, 08:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

not a Bridgestone fan what so ever. dont like the looks, the ride, or the handling.
Old 11-03-14, 10:52 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus114
not a Bridgestone fan what so ever. dont like the looks, the ride, or the handling.
That's quite a generalization. All major tire companies have a broad range across categories - from excellent to poor.
Old 11-04-14, 05:40 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default I really want 'Quiet' Ride as well as Ride 'Comfort'

It does appear that the Pirelli's or the Bridgestones are the 'Peoples Choice'.......at the moment. My concern is that my RX has 235/55/19 tires. When I look at the Bridgestones they are speed rated at 'H'. I've been told NOT to go DOWN in speed rating??? But, Tirerack has advised me that Lexus is OK with one going with a "H" rated tire??? Is that really so???

If that is so, The Bridgestones will probably be my choice......IF......... the reviews are accurate/true on T.R. website. Are they really that quiet and really that good on ride comfort. If so that is what I probably will go with..................

unless I get replies from y'all that say DON'T DO IT...................................
Old 11-04-14, 08:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdshaw
That's quite a generalization. All major tire companies have a broad range across categories - from excellent to poor.
hey, its how i fell about them. to each they`re own right?
Old 11-04-14, 09:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

hey, its how i fell about them. to each they`re own right?
True, but it helps if you list a specific model you had issues with. Bridgestone isn't high on my list either. Still I had a great experience with their Dueler Alenzas, a recommendation from my favorite tire guy whom I trust. And he knows I do not take tire selection lightly at all.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-05-14 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-04-14, 07:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGa
It does appear that the Pirelli's or the Bridgestones are the 'Peoples Choice'.......at the moment. My concern is that my RX has 235/55/19 tires. When I look at the Bridgestones they are speed rated at 'H'. I've been told NOT to go DOWN in speed rating??? But, Tirerack has advised me that Lexus is OK with one going with a "H" rated tire??? Is that really so???

If that is so, The Bridgestones will probably be my choice......IF......... the reviews are accurate/true on T.R. website. Are they really that quiet and really that good on ride comfort. If so that is what I probably will go with..................

unless I get replies from y'all that say DON'T DO IT...................................
H rated tire means your vehicle can safely move at speed up to 210 km/hr (130 mph). V, Z, W, are much higher speed. In short, you'll never hit that speed in the RX so H is more than fine. The only thing besides dimensions of the tire is load rating you need to pay attention to. You'll want the tire to be rated at 101 minimum. Lower is not recommended and can be dangerous at Hwy speed and high temps (tire can blow out). Higher load rating number is fine but may generally carry an "XL" (extra load) moniker which typically implies a slightly heavier and stiffer constructed tire to carry the higher weight. In short, between two similar tires in your case, I'd get a 101H "SL" (Standard Load) to ensure the softer ride and is typically also cheaper than a 101V tire. Good luck

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-04-14 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 05:12 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
Speed ratings are somewhat a sticky subject. I hope to curb some things...

Lets start by saying that tires are a global product. The same tire you drive on in small town USA is also used in Stuttgart, Germany or Nagoya, Japan. In North America, we will likely never see the actual rating that tire is speed rated for. In other parts of the world, they do.

Of course you will never see 130mph, but why does your vehicle require a tire that is rated for such? As weird as it may seem, and for North America, it really isn't about the speed the tire will see on your vehicle. It is more about the stability of the tire at speed. If the vehicle requires at least a V rated tire, and you install a T rated tire, the tire can feel very lazy when driving at highway speed. The best way to describe it is that once you make a steering input, you need to wait for the tire to catch up as the vehicle makes its move. Making a lane change at 70mph can be quite uncomfortable feeling with a lesser speed rated tire.

Maybe I should try to describe this a different way. Think that a V rated tire needs to have a certain level of construction to maintain a 149mph/240kph speed so it doesn't destroy itself at that speed. The construction in a T speed rated tire (118mph/190kph) will be significantly lower because it is not rated to move that fast. If you use a lesser rated tire than the vehicle calls for, this difference will be felt in the vehicle. Also don't forget that the tire is the first part of a vehicles suspension system and the original equipment tire speed rating was taken into account when the vehicle was designed.

All of that said, speed rating variances will be different for every vehicle and sometimes some sub-models within the same model. Generally speaking, you can drop 1 speed rating without issue.

Here is some more information about speed ratings on our website

I hope that helps!

-AJ
You will be fine with an H rated tire.
Old 11-05-14, 10:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kitlz
True, but it helps if you list a specific model you had issues with. Bridgestone isn't high on my list either. Still I had a great experience with their Dueler Alenzas, a recommendation from my favorite tire guy whom I trust. And he knows I do not take tire selection lightly at all.
Honestly Anita, I don't like any of they`re tires.

Ryan
Old 11-05-14, 12:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Honestly Anita, I don't like any of they`re tires.

Ryan
Ryan, fair enough. I only ask since this is a tire thread and some members are looking for recommendations, both good and bad. The more specific the better.
Old 11-06-14, 08:00 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kitlz
Ryan, fair enough. I only ask since this is a tire thread and some members are looking for recommendations, both good and bad. The more specific the better.
i understand. sorry i feel i may have come off a little strong on the matter. its just these tires hit a nerve with me re; all of the coverage they constantly get. also keep in mind staying with a low rolling resistance tire. it helps fuel millage considerably.
Old 11-17-14, 11:33 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Current/old tires: Michelin Latitude Tour HP 102V 235/60R18
Replaced with: Michelin Latitude Tour HP 102V 235/60R18

Just want to thank everyone for all their reviews. Tire shopping is annoying and frustrating! I must have put every single tire referenced in this thread in the Tire Rack cart (Pirellis, Yoko Parada SpecX, Ecopia, etc.) but you read a negative review here and there and you end up taking them back out. I'm sure most of you know the feeling.

At the end of the day, I came back to the tire I know best and went to Costco for the install. $1,010.24 installed/out the door ($70 discount included).

Last edited by JPJump; 11-17-14 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 07:06 PM
bandaman
Driver School Candidate

245/55R19's fit fine and look great. Just had a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopias mounted on the wife's RX450h yesterday. I haven't driven it yet, but I have 6 hrs behind the wheel coming up in the next couple of weekends to get a feel for them. Selection and price is much better in the 245 size...
Old 11-24-14, 02:57 PM
Awesomeman
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Also looking to upgrade my stock Michelin tires with the ecopia's however my local tire deals only has: Bridgestone-Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia in the P245/55R19

Will the extra 10 diameter screw with the ride and fuel mileage? And will they fit 2010 RX 350?

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread