RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 03:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

rayaans, the ride has improved since putting on the Pirellis. I drive over railroad tracks every day and they absorb the bumps well. The Dunlops used to jump somewhat. Steering is still tight which is one of the things I like most about having the sport suspension. Noise is not an issue. And as I've mentioned before, the first thing I noticed was that I felt like I was riding higher.

Now you know what I went through two years ago trying to decide which tires to get, LOL! Michelins were more expensive by $30/tire but I kept them on the short list based on prior experience. What it came down to was the very positive reviews overall and a few other features the Michelins didn't have. And yes, the sidewall design is pretty cool
Old 01-18-14, 12:04 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So, after 65K miles on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X, it's about time for new ones. Took my RX in today for an alignment, and they say the tires are wearing unevenly along the inside edge. So they refused to do an alignment, and said I needed new tires.

The Big O is ready to sign me up with Nittos. By the time they install, balance, replace the seals on the TPMs for each wheel, road hazard package, and perform an alignment, they're up to $1300+, which seems exorbitant. When I bought the Parada Specs 2+ years ago, they were $850 plus installation and balancing. I think I got out of there for under $1100.

Thoughts on the Nittos? Or should I order Anita's Scorpions at last?!

Old 01-18-14, 10:05 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
rayaans, the ride has improved since putting on the Pirellis. I drive over railroad tracks every day and they absorb the bumps well. The Dunlops used to jump somewhat. Steering is still tight which is one of the things I like most about having the sport suspension. Noise is not an issue. And as I've mentioned before, the first thing I noticed was that I felt like I was riding higher.

Now you know what I went through two years ago trying to decide which tires to get, LOL! Michelins were more expensive by $30/tire but I kept them on the short list based on prior experience. What it came down to was the very positive reviews overall and a few other features the Michelins didn't have. And yes, the sidewall design is pretty cool
Sounds good . Looked on ebay and turns out I can get the tires for £115 each brand new which is about $188. My wife's little 205/55 r16 tires cost me £105!!

I might buy the tires and just store them, have about 5mm left on all 4 dunlops atm.
Old 01-18-14, 10:28 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
So, after 65K miles on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X, it's about time for new ones. Took my RX in today for an alignment, and they say the tires are wearing unevenly along the inside edge. So they refused to do an alignment, and said I needed new tires.

The Big O is ready to sign me up with Nittos. By the time they install, balance, replace the seals on the TPMs for each wheel, road hazard package, and perform an alignment, they're up to $1300+, which seems exorbitant. When I bought the Parada Specs 2+ years ago, they were $850 plus installation and balancing. I think I got out of there for under $1100.

Thoughts on the Nittos? Or should I order Anita's Scorpions at last?!

Sandi_k, that is a bit high of a price, IMO. First, the Nittos seem to be a more expensive tire for whatever reason. The Pirellis are a known entity here at CL with several members riding on them. Not so with these Nittos. They could be a good tire. When I looked online it looks like a lot of tire shop folks are pushing these. Why? Good tire? Better margins? Who knows.

I would keep shopping and look at they Pirellis. Try another shop if you can.
Old 01-18-14, 10:46 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rayaans
Sounds good . Looked on ebay and turns out I can get the tires for £115 each brand new which is about $188. My wife's little 205/55 r16 tires cost me £105!!

I might buy the tires and just store them, have about 5mm left on all 4 dunlops atm.
Perhaps a benefit from being locally manufactured there in GB.
Old 01-18-14, 01:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sandi, I'm keeping the issue you had with the sport suspension in mind when I say the Verdes are probably not for you. The ride is firm, maybe more than you'd want. I don't have any experience with Nitto. You didn't mention which one the tire dealer recommended. If it was the Motivos, the few reviews I read said they were average to slightly above.

Can I ask why you want another brand? You got 65K out of the Paradas. That's pretty awesome. If the ride was acceptable, you really can't go wrong buying them again. And the price is right.
Old 01-18-14, 03:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Sandi, I'm keeping the issue you had with the sport suspension in mind when I say the Verdes are probably not for you. The ride is firm, maybe more than you'd want. I don't have any experience with Nitto. You didn't mention which one the tire dealer recommended. If it was the Motivos, the few reviews I read said they were average to slightly above.

Can I ask why you want another brand? You got 65K out of the Paradas. That's pretty awesome. If the ride was acceptable, you really can't go wrong buying them again. And the price is right.
Anita, I cheated. Went on to the Big O web site, put in Sacramento, CA as a location (figured it was as good as any in the state) and found the following:

http://www.bigotires.com/Tire-Result...350/AWDOption1

Shows the Nitto Crosstek CUV tire which is fairly new from what I can tell. There is a Nitto Crosstek as well, however, this is not the same tire though it has the same or similar specs. We do not even have this tire that I could find in my part of FL. Just the plain Crosstek.

The Parada were definitely cheaper at Big O.
Old 01-18-14, 04:00 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

LOL, I went to the Nitto site and found the Motivos. It's one of the recommended tires for the RX.
Old 01-18-14, 05:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

LOL, I went to the Nitto site and found the Motivos. It's one of the recommended tires for the RX.
Not in the OE sizes for 3rd Generation that I could see. The only ones for 3rd Generation OE sizes are the NT421Q and CROSSTEK CUV.
Old 01-18-14, 06:36 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anita, thanks for this. I didn't necessarily want another brand - I took the car in for an alignment yesterday, and they refused to do it - the inner edge was bald on the front tires.

They don't carry the Parada Spec, and I wanted it handled this weekend, since I was off. I talked to the manager of the Big O, and he said that the ride of the Nitto Crosstek was softer than Michelin, and rated for the same tread expectation as the Paradas - and he could have it in the shop today, so I could finish it up this weekend.

I probably paid about $150 more than if I'd bought online, since it meant I paid sales tax and about $20 more per tire. To be hones, it was mainly sheer laziness - I didn't want to be driving on tires I didn't trust, and to go back would have been my THIRD trip to the tire shop this month.

Initial impression is good - the ride is about as soft as the Parada, and nowhere near as noisy as the OEM Dunlops. However, not convinced they got the balancing right on the passenger front tire - it's a little bouncy at highway speeds.

More to follow, once I've done my normal 110 miles commute on Tuesday.

ETA: So it took 25 months for 65K miles to accrue on the Paradas. I can always buy a different brand in 2016, when I'm at 172K miles on the odometer.

Last edited by Sandi_k; 01-18-14 at 06:41 PM. Reason: added mileage
Old 01-18-14, 09:51 PM
wheats
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got the new sneakers put on the wife's 450H at Costco.
Michelin Latitude v rated 235 x 55 x19 ,at 29k the Dunlops were shot. I'm hoping for good results.
Old 01-19-14, 05:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Not in the OE sizes for 3rd Generation that I could see. The only ones for 3rd Generation OE sizes are the NT421Q and CROSSTEK CUV.
I was searching by vehicle, +0 for the 19"s (standard on the sport package). Should've just stuck with tire size.

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Anita, thanks for this. I didn't necessarily want another brand - I took the car in for an alignment yesterday, and they refused to do it - the inner edge was bald on the front tires.

They don't carry the Parada Spec, and I wanted it handled this weekend, since I was off. I talked to the manager of the Big O, and he said that the ride of the Nitto Crosstek was softer than Michelin, and rated for the same tread expectation as the Paradas - and he could have it in the shop today, so I could finish it up this weekend.

I probably paid about $150 more than if I'd bought online, since it meant I paid sales tax and about $20 more per tire. To be hones, it was mainly sheer laziness - I didn't want to be driving on tires I didn't trust, and to go back would have been my THIRD trip to the tire shop this month.

Initial impression is good - the ride is about as soft as the Parada, and nowhere near as noisy as the OEM Dunlops. However, not convinced they got the balancing right on the passenger front tire - it's a little bouncy at highway speeds.

More to follow, once I've done my normal 110 miles commute on Tuesday.

ETA: So it took 25 months for 65K miles to accrue on the Paradas. I can always buy a different brand in 2016, when I'm at 172K miles on the odometer.
Wow Sandi, that was quick. I don't mess around with tires either. Can't put a price tag on safety. Back when I was waiting for the 450h to come in, I took the 330 to the dealer for an oil change, didn't like the way it was driving, and wound up changing the tires too. I only got to enjoy them for two months. But it was worth it for the peace of mind.

Definitely have that passenger front tire checked. It sounds like it needs to be rebalanced. I'd check the tire pressure too. I'll look forward to your review on the Nitto Crossteks.
Old 01-19-14, 07:21 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Im just wondering, will putting 105 tires affect anything? The dunlops at the moment have a load rating of 101. Any side effects of putting higher load rated tires on?
Old 01-19-14, 08:54 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rayaans
Im just wondering, will putting 105 tires affect anything? The dunlops at the moment have a load rating of 101. Any side effects of putting higher load rated tires on?
Higher load index normally equates to a stronger construction, and perhaps stiffer, sidewall. For those high load, high speed runs.
Old 01-19-14, 09:54 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Higher load index normally equates to a stronger construction, and perhaps stiffer, sidewall. For those high load, high speed runs.
So Im guessing just a stiffer ride then? no other problems correct?

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread