RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 08:52 AM
whbowenii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just purchased a CPO 2010 RX 350. The dealer put Toyo Spectrum HP tires on the vehicle. Handling seems to be good, ride is kind of stiff. We were told that they are all season and we live in Denver, so a fair amount of snow driving. Any thoughts on this brand, or should I start shopping for Michelins?
Old 08-31-13, 09:34 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by whbowenii
We just purchased a CPO 2010 RX 350. The dealer put Toyo Spectrum HP tires on the vehicle. Handling seems to be good, ride is kind of stiff. We were told that they are all season and we live in Denver, so a fair amount of snow driving. Any thoughts on this brand, or should I start shopping for Michelins?
Was under the impression these had been discontinued. Would check the date code on the sidewalls of these tires.
Old 09-01-13, 08:53 AM
whbowenii
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I will.
Old 09-02-13, 07:07 AM
Parker
Driver School Candidate

I got my "new" RX a week ago, and after reading here about the Bridgestone tires I was prompted to go do some research - and they scared me. Sounds like they're just trash in the snow, and excellent snow performance is a major aspect I've loved about my previous RX. I've used Goodyear TripleTreads in the past, and have liked them, except for the noise, and its apparent tendency to cup easily... and that's with frequent alignment jobs. I've always said that my RX/Goodyear was the best performing setup I've owned, next to my Tacoma truck.

So, I took advantage of the rebates at Discount Tire on Saturday and bought 4 new shoes for my "new" RX. Based on reviews and my experience with the TripleTread noise, I chose Michelin Latitude Tour HP this time. I'm happy with them so far -- very quiet -- extremely quiet compared to the Goodyears! I haven't had any "weather" to try them out in yet, but I'll post a followup when it hits.
Old 09-03-13, 01:12 PM
NorthGa
Rookie

Hello,
I have been a loyal Michelin tire buyer for decades. But upon looking at TireRack reviews I noticed that in my 19" size wheel/tire this brand is not the highest rated???? In fact the BridgestoneDueler H/L 422 Ecopia was the highest rated for my tire/size. I was slightly taken aback??? The Pirelli was the second best review. The main difference I could see between the 2 tires was the speed rating? The Duelers were 105H while the Pirelli's were 105V. Since I am not going to 'race' the vehicle I am not sure the H rated tire would be a bad choice. But..........I don't see anyone on this 'post' giving the Duelers much notice or credit?
Old 09-06-13, 08:50 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGa
Hello,
I have been a loyal Michelin tire buyer for decades. But upon looking at TireRack reviews I noticed that in my 19" size wheel/tire this brand is not the highest rated???? In fact the BridgestoneDueler H/L 422 Ecopia was the highest rated for my tire/size. I was slightly taken aback??? The Pirelli was the second best review. The main difference I could see between the 2 tires was the speed rating? The Duelers were 105H while the Pirelli's were 105V. Since I am not going to 'race' the vehicle I am not sure the H rated tire would be a bad choice. But..........I don't see anyone on this 'post' giving the Duelers much notice or credit?
I tried the Ecopias for about a month and did not like them. To me they made the RX feel a little disconnected from the road. There was nothing egregiously wrong with them, but the performance just didn't match the RX's capabilities. Despite the hassle I took advantage of Bridgestone's return program, and switched them out for the Pirellis. Quite an improvement in handling and feel, with minimal change in noise and comfort. I'm about 15k into the Pirellis and still very happy.

Tire Rack compared these 2 side by side; note the significant difference in the performance categories:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=160
Old 09-09-13, 06:58 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
I tried the Ecopias for about a month and did not like them. To me they made the RX feel a little disconnected from the road. There was nothing egregiously wrong with them, but the performance just didn't match the RX's capabilities. Despite the hassle I took advantage of Bridgestone's return program, and switched them out for the Pirellis. Quite an improvement in handling and feel, with minimal change in noise and comfort. I'm about 15k into the Pirellis and still very happy.

Tire Rack compared these 2 side by side; note the significant difference in the performance categories:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=160

Thank you for the link. I am going to guess/assume the difference in rating and test scores was due to the 'V' rating vs the 'H' rating. Pirelli wins out.
Old 09-25-13, 01:12 PM
CthePro
Driver School Candidate

awesome thread with lots of good info. Thanks to everyone, helped me find what I was looking for
Old 11-01-13, 05:00 PM
clhug
Driver School Candidate

Default WHICH Michelin Latitudes?

Need to put my first set of new tires on my '10 450h AWD, 19" tire. I have the Dunlops now, got 35k on them, and could probably squeeze a few more miles out but don't really want to go through winter in Iowa with what's left of them.

So I'm convinced by what I've read in this thread and a few other threads to go with the Michelin Latitudes. I have 2 questions relating to this though.

I saw an earlier post about making sure to get the Latitude HP and not the just plain Latitude. Someone else posted asking what the difference was, which was never answered. So what is the difference? I only see the "HP" type listed on Tire Rack, and other sites I've looked at. I got a quote from my Lexus dealer for "Michelin Latitude" tires. Can I be sure they're the "HP" or would I need to ask? (I will certainly still call around before going to the dealer, but they're quote was $368 per tire installed including roadside hazard and free lifetime rotate, or $1472 for the set of 4)

Secondly, why are there 3 different Michelin Latitude HP tires listed as compatible with my vehicle on Tire Rack (and again, I found on a few other vendor specific sites as well), and how do I know which one to get? Everybody in this thread only mentions the general "Latitude" name with no reference that I can tell as to the fact there are 3 different ones and which one they actually got.

Thank you.

Last edited by clhug; 11-01-13 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 05:37 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

We just bought a 2010 RX that came with near-new Pirelli Scorpion Verde 18" tires. The tread pattern just does not look aggressive enough for snowy winter driving, but they are All-Season rated. There is much more road noise than I like, but I don't know how much of that can be attributed to the tires. Does anyone else think the Pirellis are noisy? If so, what tires have you found to be quiet?

At this point, I'm not yet ready to toss these out and buy Michelins, but if they're not good in snow, that will happen sooner than later.....
Old 11-10-13, 06:52 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The Scorpion Verdes have been fine for me. No unusual road noise or problems driving in limited foul weather since I had them installed 20 months/11K miles ago. I have the 19"s. The Michelins are probably a good alternative for you. Since you just got the RX, contact your dealer and ask if you can switch tires. There may be some cost involved but hopefully it'll be minimal. Good luck.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-10-13 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-10-13, 10:48 AM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Kitlz. I got the Pirellis in June (actually on her recommendation) and I find them very quiet and I get about a mile and a half better gas mileage with them than the Bridgestone Duelers I took off. Mine are the 18's. They are substantially less expensive than Michelins and IMO they are just as good. Check Tire Rack ratings.
Old 11-11-13, 06:14 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

My rx came with Michelin latitude hp and I jus replace them with the continental cross contact lx sport. Gotta say the continental are way too noisy, vibration and rough feel to them. After these are done gonna go back to the Michelin as they are very smooth and quiet. Wish they last a bit longer.
Old 11-14-13, 09:55 AM
RadSwim
Driver School Candidate

Default Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 vs. Michelin Latitude Tour HP

On November 1, I had an irreparable puncture to one of my original equipment Michelin Latitude Tour HP P235/55/R19 101V so I told the store manager of my neighbor tire and battery shop to "go ahead and put on 4 new of the same Michelin tires." His price quote was reasonable and the tires were available for installation the same day.

But then...
The new tires felt like I was driving in mud. Very sluggish, heavy steering. Much noiser than the original tires and they starting "singing" at 45 mph. Lane changing at highway speed was balky to the point of being scary. On the other hand, wet traction during a very heavy thunderstorm was excellent.

Investigation...
The new tires were Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. Apparently, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires were in very short supply so in-store catalog listed Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 as the "best" replacement for my 2010 Lexus RX 350 FWD. The store manager missed the substitution. When I picked up the SUV, I didn't read the sidewall on the new tires.

Resolution...
Store manager was very apologetic. After 12 days, new Michelin Latitude Tour HP finally arrived and were substituted.

Outcome...
20 mile test drive last evening on various road conditions. Everything is back to normal. Quiet, comfortable ride with excellent handling.

Learnings...
1. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 are very different than Michelin Latitude Tour HP on 2010 Lexus RX 350.
2. Michelin Latitude Tour HP P235/55/R19 101V were in short supply were early November 2013. They still may be.
3. Wear reading glasses when buying tires.
Old 11-24-13, 07:32 PM
huntergts
Driver School Candidate

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Yokohama Parada Spec-X ( Street/Sport Truck All-Season)???

The Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires have way better ratings and reviews on Tirerack than the Michelin Latitude HP's do. I'm thinking this will be a better tire for me in Maryland with the need for occasional snow and our trips to Ohio through the mountains where there is always snow. Plus I want good performance for my spirited driving at high speeds.

Let me know you thoughts. Thanks. My 19" Dunlops are shot with 36,000 miles, and I don't want to drive in the mountains with them this Thanksgiving trip to Ohio.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread