RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 01:54 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

It's time for new tires. I've been reading reviews and opinions on this forum, but but I'm having a hard time drawing a conclusion due to information overload.

I've been a fan of Michelin for a long time, but always willing to consider an alternative. Our 450h came with Dunlops, and I'm not a fan. Noisy, and horrible in the snow. I'm not enthusiastic about Bridgestone, except I'm not sure why. I had Blizzaks on my CT this winter. They had great traction in the snow and ice, but handle poorly in dry weather. Mileage is a consideration for me, but the new tires will probably last longer then we'll keep the car. I think it's going to be between Pirelli Scorpions, and Michelin Latitude Tours. Leaning toward the Pirellis due to cost and reviews, but I do like Michelin. Besides, everyone knows that more expensive means better, right? (My lovely wife thinks I really think that way!!!) Between these two options, what's the best option for less noise and decent winter handling?

Opinions?
Old 04-25-15, 03:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Woody, I've been very happy with the Scorpion Verdes I put on my 450h three years ago. They replaced Dunlops also. The difference was immediate. Now I have the sport suspension so the ride is already firmer. The Pirellis are a perfect complement. Plus they were $50 cheaper than Michelins with comparable warranty. And I still don't have to add air often, something I used to do every few weeks with the Dunlops.
Old 04-26-15, 10:09 AM
BlakeAlden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the largest size tire that will fit on my stock 2010 RX350 in width and height with stock 18in wheels? Any pictures of the next size up tire? Thanks.
Old 04-27-15, 12:29 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a pair of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season plus throw a section of tread. I have not had any problems with the Bridgestone Dueler tires I owned.
Old 04-27-15, 12:40 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

My RX450h came with Michelin tires and one blew a sidewall at 6000 miles. Michelin didn't honor their warranty. My NTB dealer recommended Hankook Optima so that is what I put on the car. Rides well and quiet and was good in our heavy February snow. I used to be a fan of Michelin but not anymore. Companies that do not stand behind their warranty deserve t loose support. They told me to take it to arbitration if I didn't like it.
Old 04-27-15, 12:46 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Go to Tire Rack on your computer, put in your car brand, year and model and it will show you every size and brand for your car plus their test results and customer ratings. You can eliminate any tire brands you do not want to consider.
Old 04-28-15, 06:54 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

You can use either of these online tire size calculators to help find different sizes that will fit your wheel but be close to the original diameter. Remember tire sizes have a designed wheel width range and you ideally want to stay in the middle of the range, but not exceed it. Our 18 inch and 19 inch wheels are 7.5 inches wide.
http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/

http://www.willtheyfit.com/
Old 04-29-15, 05:38 AM
User 41924
Instructor

I decided on the Pirellis after going to the local Discount Tire store. I told them I wanted a quiet tire the handles better than average, and would work well in snow. When they pulled up the options they have, they didn't even hesitate to recommend the Pirellis based on customer feedback. They said they were quieter, would last longer, and would handle better in the snow than the Michelins. The only negative they mentioned was that the ride would be slightly more firm, but that's actually a positive, to me. AND they are more than $50 a tire less expensive. My Lexus dealer matches the Discount price mounted and balanced, so Ill take it in Sat.

Last edited by User 41924; 04-29-15 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Woody, good luck with the Pirellis. The ride is firmer especially if you're coming from the Dunlops. My initial impression was the RXh felt higher. And you'll love how they maintain tire pressure. I typically have had the dealer install non-OE tires in the past but I got tired of lugging them in the back. And you're right, their prices can be competitive, maybe even better. My fav local tire guy couldn't come close to what I paid at the dealer the only time I went with OE Michelin tires on the 330. Plus alignment was free. It pays to include them when shopping around.
Old 04-29-15, 02:53 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H vs. V rated

Just had an interesting experience with a local tire dealer (whom I'll keep anonymous for now <g>). I have ~48,000 miles on my 2010 RX450h, and the original Bridgestones needed replacement. I purchased four Michelin Latitude HP 235/55R19 101V (OEM spec'd), but after getting home, noted they actually installed 235/55R19 101H. Called them today, and they said distributor must have accidentally delivered the wrong tires, which they didn't notice, but they'll swap them out for the 101V's.

I think they were trying to pull a fast one on me (charged me for the V rated), but will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Has anybody else ever run into something like this?
Old 05-01-15, 10:43 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
Just had an interesting experience with a local tire dealer (whom I'll keep anonymous for now <g>). I have ~48,000 miles on my 2010 RX450h, and the original Bridgestones needed replacement. I purchased four Michelin Latitude HP 235/55R19 101V (OEM spec'd), but after getting home, noted they actually installed 235/55R19 101H. Called them today, and they said distributor must have accidentally delivered the wrong tires, which they didn't notice, but they'll swap them out for the 101V's.

I think they were trying to pull a fast one on me (charged me for the V rated), but will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Has anybody else ever run into something like this?
Wow! Whether an accident or on purpose, it's really cool that you noticed! I'm not entirely convinced I would have looked!
Old 05-02-15, 11:44 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Wow! Whether an accident or on purpose, it's really cool that you noticed! I'm not entirely convinced I would have looked!
Update... the retailer swapped them out for the 101 V Rated tires, as promised. Still not convinced it was an honest mistake, and not impressed with their attention to detail. Both times, after installation, actual tire pressures were all over the map (33-40 PSI)! I definitely won't be using them again for service.
Old 05-06-15, 07:38 PM
Clutchless

Default Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric All Season

I bought replica Lexus IS-F wheels in 19x8 from OEWheels. They are hub centric and have the same 35 offset as stock wheels. Being wider than the stock 7.5 inch wheels, I moved up to 255/50/19 Tires which are the same diameter as stock but 20mm wider. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season were chosen over the Continental Contact because the Goodyears were noted in Tire Rack testing and reviews for their sharp steering response, great traction in all weather and excellent wear. Have had them on a week and they have improved steering response and tracking. They are quiet and look much better in the wheel wells than the OEM 18s I had before. I also have H&R 20 mm wheel spacers which also improved the handling and push the tires out for a more aggressive look. I thought about taking them off, but will leave them on.
Attached Thumbnails The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-100_4383.jpg   The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread-100_4384.jpg  

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-06-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 08:40 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Be careful on wet roads with the Goodyear Eagle tires.
Old 05-11-15, 12:59 PM
Clutchless

You cannot be accurate with such generalizations about all Goodyear Eagle tires. This one is noted for excellent wet traction. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ric+All-Season.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread