RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-13, 02:55 PM
svidas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife got an RX first, I went from a 4Runner to a Mercedes and wasn't impressed by the quality of the Mercedes. I bought my own 450h. My wife said I should get a BMW since it was more manly but my car is my choice, and it is an RX,
Old 12-15-13, 05:23 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

We originally got our 2010 rx for wife to take kids around. Both she and kids ended up liking the gm full size better though for room and power (but mpg sucks), so dad gets the rx. I've never noticed any gender predilection nor was it ever a consideration. It's our second rx and it was more about features for price.
Old 12-15-13, 06:54 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

So heres a update, Last week some guy told me I drive a chicks car. I was like wtf, why does it matter to u. He was like I'm just pointing it out, that mostly women drive the RX. It was so random. So I started looking at the hundreds of RX's I see every week with all the crazy amount of driving I do and most are driven by women. I don't care though as it's a great SUV and I can haul anything and everything, what else can a 23 year old want? I also drive a 2013 Optima SX Turbo.

Last edited by Sevn86; 12-15-13 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-15-13, 07:07 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife drives the Rx450H, but I really like the ride and use it at every opportunity. I find it to be a very practical vehicle with luxury. If I were a single guy, I would have two vehicles (have 4 now, lol!). I would have a 4x4 Tacoma, and a Carerra. As a grandpa, Rx fits the ticket and I really like the safety aspect of the vehicle.
Old 12-15-13, 09:33 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
So heres a update, Last week some guy told me I drive a chicks car. I was like wtf, why does it matter to u. He was like I'm just pointing it out, that mostly women drive the RX. It was so random. So I started looking at the hundreds of RX's I see every week with all the crazy amount of driving I do and most are driven by women.
Most of those "women" you saw driving the RX around started out as men, but soon after driving the RX around, they grew breasts and long hair. You better get rid of your RX unless you welcome change…
Old 12-16-13, 07:12 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Obviously, most of the members here don't look like these MEN. LOL!
( not entirely sure about the 3rd picture.. sorry Mr. Timberlake!)

because if you do, who cares what you drive

i'm 34 and the RX is one of my cars ( daily driver is the RAV4 EV)

Last edited by markrivers; 12-16-13 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 08:18 PM
notdedyet
Driver School Candidate

This first time I drove my rig, I knew it was mine. There was no doubt. I test drove the MDX on the same day. Admittedly, it was a very fun car to drive, but because the RX felt so right, I went with it. It is plenty manly for me!!
Old 12-16-13, 09:04 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I let my son drive the RX to school for a couple days, and he came back happy that he didn't catch any of the flack he expected. His friends thought it was really nice and were impressed by the ride and tech. His biggest complaint was parallel parking it. He doesn't have a spot in the senior lot yet and the size is much bigger then he is used to.
Old 12-17-13, 06:46 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

IMHO, the RX is as masculine, or as feminine, as any other vehicle on the road. Here in Colorado, lots of chicks drive BIG trucks, while lots of guys drive a variety of 4x4 or AWD vehicles. Tons of trucks, SUVs and crossovers on the roads around here.

I like the higher driving position and the AWD capability of our RX. We traded a 2008 GX470 for our RX, and while I miss the power of that outstanding 4.7L V8 engine, I sure don't miss the crappy gas mileage or the lack of legroom.
Old 12-17-13, 10:26 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most women with children, prefer the Minivan, and the SUV is a close second.
Not just the RX 350, but SUV in general. PERIOD.
I agree with RickC5 in his observation.
Here in SoCal, i see more women driving the GX470 ( white), LandRover HSE ( white), Ford Expedition, Excursion, Chevy Suburban, Tahoe, Escalade ( black and white).

Funny thing is, my wife drives the Range Rover ( white) which was originally my car and i drive the RX 350.
I guess the show Real Housewives of New Jersey/ Beverly Hills gave the Range Rover THE feminine touch.
Old 12-17-13, 12:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
I guess the show Real Housewives of New Jersey/ Beverly Hills gave the Range Rover THE feminine touch.
Not for long after this horrible incident over the weekend.
Old 12-18-13, 08:43 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 38 and my daily driver is my F sport. I went through more "manly" cars and ended up regretting it. I had a honda civic during college, and when it was time to get rid of it, I got a honda prelude Type SH. Great car, handled great, never a problem, looked cool, but i always hated the 4 cylinder....not enough power (I told my wife). So I upgraded that to an Infiniti G 35 coupe, 6 speed manual. 300 HP, rear wheel drive..... "I am never getting rid of this car!!!!" I told myself. I felt very manly. It took 18 months for me to figure out that it was too loud, too low to the ground, and completely impractical as our kids started popping out. I also felt like I wasn't mature enough to own it.....at times I was driving dangerously in order to get fun out of it. LIke taking corners too fast, accelerating too fast at lights ("what's the use in having 300 HP if you never use it", I thought?). I also got tired of my 3 year old daughter puking in the back of it....which happened three times....even when I was simply driving around town.

So then I went to a nissan murano....the complete opposite of the Infiniti. Quiet, smooth on the road, lots of space to take the dog to the vet or pile the family in. But also completely boring to drive. I chose the lexus because it was the nicest inside, the most comfortable, and had the best reliability. I also liked the electronic interfaces with the phone and multimedia. I chose the F sport, not because it was any more "manly" than the non-F sport, but because I like the styling more, the wheels, and the 8 speed transmission. It had the benefits of the murano, while also being more fun and engaging to drive. I almost bought an acura MDX, but found the interior to be much less impressive, and found the seats to be much more uncomfortable. The gas mileage of the 2013 MDXs (before the refresh) is also horrible (21mpg on the highway!).

Sure, I want to take pride in the car I drive, but I have realized I will regret it if my pride pushes me to one car over another at the expense of how it feels to drive it.
Old 12-18-13, 09:05 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I also got tired of my 3 year old daughter puking in the back of it....which happened three times....even when I was simply driving around town.
LMAO, AMEN brother. My son has 'christened' my very stiff GS the same way. The GS will never see another car seat as long as the RX lives.
Old 12-18-13, 09:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I drive an IS350, but we also have an RX350 which my wife drives most of the time, though we usually take that on our weekend outings. Never do I feel like I'm driving a lady's car. It's a family vehicle for sure, but hey, we're a family, so why not?

It's one of the better, even sportier, looking SUVs out there.

And hey, since I am tugging a kid around with me everywhere I go, what really do I have to prove? ;-)
Old 12-18-13, 06:55 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 61, male, single and looked at almost everything before I bought. I wanted "luxury" which is really COMFORT, and reliability and some practicality. I was amazed at how well this car moved all my stuff to my new home. Never thought of it as a "moving" car.

I see tons of RX's around. I guess it would be 50/50 male/female drivers, because I never really look. I just try and get them to wave or somehow acknowledge that of all the cars we could have owned, we each own THIS ONE. But alas, have not had a wave back yet I remember back in the day BMW owners had a habit of waving at each other.

The nearest dealer is 80 plus miles away, so the fact that I pass so many on the road in my daily travels is a testament to the fact that they got this car quite right.

I recently looked around (a few lots and Edmunds and car websites) and although the Ford Edge caught my eye, I decided that I would keep this car for the foreseeable future.

Although a tricked out 2014 would not be out of the question

Quick Reply: Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?