RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation/Interface Questions.. '11 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 10:53 AM
deilenberg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation/Interface Questions.. '11 RX 350

It's actually questions about not only the NAV interface - and also about some audio system interface questions.. Posted some of this in my intro post, but since it may have been overlooked, figure it's worth starting a new thread.

Things I'm wondering:

1 - Station/Track navigation: Since there are no radio station selection buttons... and having to use the nav based interface is a bit distracting - is there another way to do it? I think I read that the selection button (up/down one) on the left side of the wheel can be used - but can it scroll through multiple pages of preselected stations/XM-channels/etc?

2 - The Sirus/XM interface seems a bit primitive - but perhaps I'm missing something. Is there any way to get a listing of all the channels available with a description? Be even better if this could be done so they could be assigned to a memory button. Right now I've downloaded the list from the Sirius website - and highlighted what I wanted - but that seems like a rather primitive way to accomplish the task.

3 - USB-MP3 - Memory Stick: I have all my music converted to MP3 files. They're divided up by album name (as a folder or directory) and the actual tracks in each "album"..

The memory stick has about 2,700 files on it last time I checked. It mirrors what I keep on my two iPods (which are for car use mostly.)

When I connected the memory stick the system found it, and happily started playing the first album. When it got to the 2nd album, it displayed the album name, but couldn't find any files. It found the 3rd album OK, and after a bit found the files/tracks in it. Wondering what the flaw with the second album is. My other vehicles can use it, as can my home audio system's IP based tuner.

The system also seems rather slow, and sometimes just goes away for a while when trying to change albums. Does it have to build an index of all the albums/tracks?

4 - USB-iPod. Took the memory stick out and hooked up my iPod Touch (G4) (same tracks as the USB memory stick.) The system recognized it and happily started playing from it. The interface seemed much better then the USB/Memory stick one - with the options of seeing my playlists, etc.. but it also seemed to stop responding sometimes. It would continue playing, but doing things like switching playlists wasn't working real well (it didn't see the albums that were in the new playlist.) Again makes me think the system is busy indexing it somehow.

5. Navigation: How do you cancel navigation? Say if you decide to stop using a route? There is nothing obvious that I saw, and this is going to embarrass me since I gave a friend a load of.. for the iDrive interface in his BMW having no obvious way to cancel.

Is there a way to MARK locations and then rename them? I marked my sister-in-laws house last night (arriving for the Superbowl party) - but it just named it as an address (and not quite the right one.) On my Porsche it prompts you to name a saved location. It didn't on the RX, and I didn't see an obvious way to edit a location's name.
Old 02-04-13, 12:03 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

Figured out how to edit Marked locations and add a name. It's not intuitive, but it's doable. It would make more sense to have a "Name" prompt when the user creates/marks a location.

Still not at ALL obvious how to cancel navigation (there is the "Route" "Pause" option, but this just pauses navigation, doesn't kill a route.)
Old 02-04-13, 12:07 PM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To cancel navigation, I believe you must click on "Delete."
Old 02-04-13, 12:31 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing some responses for your questions! We had similar issues on the 2010 RX we had, except we never used any USB devices other than a bluetooth connection to my iPhone, which worked pretty well.

We had similar issues navigating the sound system. It was my wife's least favorite part on the RX. You can scan through multiple pages of presets using the steering wheel buttons. You just have to be patient, or take care to organize your presets efficiently. You really can make the process work for you, without being too inconvenient

Cancel navigation by deleting the destination. Initially, I thought this would delete the entry from the address book, or previous destinations, but it doesn't. You can do this from the destination page, and also from the map page. Click on the "ROUTE" button (at the bottom), then delete, As for renaming marked locations, yes. You can rename them. Try saving the destination to your address book, and edit the entry. You should have the opportunity to change the name at that point.

I'm pretty confident with these answers, but others that use the NAV more than I do might have shortcuts. As for the sound system, you get used to it. I would HIGHLY recommend you spend some quality time with the Navigation Manual while sitting in the car, to understand how your sound system and Nav works. I think I find something I needed to know, every time I look at it.
Old 02-04-13, 02:26 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

Woody and Bayman,

Thanks. That's what I've done a few times (hit delete destination) - but for sure that's not intuitive. Wonder who Lexus has doing the human factors testing on these systems (if anyone..)?

I did find that if I had multiple pages of say FM, or XM - repeated presses of the dashboard button for that mode would page through the pages. I haven't found that anywhere in the manuals, but it could be hidden away somewhere.

I think I'll start keeping a log of suggestions for Lexus:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Prompt user for a name when "Marking" a location (don't make them have to go to the address book to edit it) - allow the user to skip over the name if they want, but make it the default action on pressing the "Mark" button.

2. Have a CANCEL button on the navigation screen. One that simply cancels the routing.

3. Have a screen listing ALL available XM/Sirius channels with a brief description, and allow setting selected ones to a memory position by highlighting one and holding the enter button down.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As more appear, I'll add them.. Suggestions are welcome!

Oh - another quirk: If I am in route mode - and press the icon to get a split screen, a message pops up saying "Click on right screen to set what appears" (or something to that effect.) Clicking on the right screen just centers the screen on the point on the map that I clicked on. Somehow that doesn't seem to be exactly what I wanted (like being able to pick between TURN by TURN mode, or LIST mode..) At least it does this when not moving, it may well do something else (or nothing) when moving.
Old 02-06-13, 07:44 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I agree that finding the button for stopping navigation is not intuitive at all. I had to go to the manual first time I wanted to use it and couldn't figure it out.

Since then though, I have found the easiest way to stop, hit the "Talk" button and say "Delete Final Destination".