RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation errors -Rx350 2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 06:55 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Navigation errors -Rx350 2013

Hi all,

My Lexus 2013 navigation system seems to be less than reliable when it comes to finding shopping places like "Walmart" and even other places. I was directed to a wrong place or residential area quite a few times with my nav system.

I rate the nav sysyem as POOR in my Lexus, I am extremely dissapointed and have to use a Garmin GPS to supplement the installed system.

One curious thing.... The software in dated 2011 and the car is dated 2013,

Grrrrr.......My dealer is asking over $350.00 to update the software

Any thought or suggestions?
Old 02-01-13, 07:31 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

LexusDrivers site has MSRP of $169 for the update.
There's also LexusNavigation site where you can enter your VIN to start the upgrade process. At any rate, you can point out that MSRP is NOT $350.

I, myself, did everything I could to avoid buying the OEM Nav. But Lexus does not make any RX450h without one and special order would have been a big hassle. So, just like everybody else, I forked-out $2,700 for a barely-capable Nav. It costs less than $200 for a handheld one with lifetime maps and traffic. Sad.
Old 02-01-13, 01:30 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
LexusDrivers site has MSRP of $169 for the update.
There's also LexusNavigation site where you can enter your VIN to start the upgrade process. At any rate, you can point out that MSRP is NOT $350..
I just had my NAV upgraded from version 8.1 to 12.1 in December.
It's $169.00 for the software (one time use) plus the cost of the installation.
My total cost with tax was $288.99 . You can not do the installation yourself as you could with the DVD system.

I was about 4 years behind with the 8.1 version so I found it worth the money with a 3000 mile trip coming up.
Old 02-01-13, 01:35 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

What a rip-off. Most systems update themselves automatically as soon as they see a firmware file in a given drive, but not Lexus navigation.
Old 02-01-13, 03:21 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the $169 pays for what's essentially a USB pin code. If they put the actual map data or firmware file on the USB drive and it updated automatically, the file would be shared on the web in a nanosecond of it's release.

The cost is obscene and the need to charge for both the USB and the install is weak. They could control the sale/install process just fine with a single upgrade fee since the dealers need to do the install anyway.
Old 02-03-13, 06:19 PM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Angry Canada

It looks like my Canadian dealer is trying to rip me off, yes you are right the update cost $169 in the US but cost $350 plus taxes in Canada!!!!!!!! Find the error!!!!!!
Old 02-03-13, 08:37 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

HaHa! I needed to buy something from a Walmart and had no idea how to get there; neither did the Lexus navigation!!! It took me over an hour to find the place. I guess they don't expect Lexus owners to go to Walmart!!!
Old 02-03-13, 10:29 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

I was looking for KFC and it took me to some mom and pop Mexican restaurant. Later when I use the lexus service figuring a person can search and load the nearest KFC....which gave me the same destination.
Old 02-04-13, 05:33 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Exclamation Walmart??????

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
HaHa! I needed to buy something from a Walmart and had no idea how to get there; neither did the Lexus navigation!!! It took me over an hour to find the place. I guess they don't expect Lexus owners to go to Walmart!!!

This is exactly what happened to me, many times....

I used to travel across Canada and across the USA with a motorhome and with a Garmin gps, I never had that kind of problems.

Needeless to say I am extremely dissapointed with the nav system in my Lexus, it isn't worth the money.
Old 02-04-13, 12:45 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Apparently, they feel the same way about Sam's Club! The factory nav knew knew there was a Sam's location in Rapid City, but had the location off by almost a mile! It was a current map on a brand new car. I switched to Google maps on my phone, and it routed us to the front door.

It actually upset me (more than a little) that my $2500 Nav, that require $165 map upgrades that really cost $250 or $300 by the time you have to have it installed by a dealer, couldn't do what a free app on my iPhone did. It was an odd feeling following precise directions from my phone, while the factory Nav was telling me to make a legal u turn!

I don't know who's maps they use, but Lexus should be embarrassed.

Last edited by User 41924; 02-06-13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 10:06 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shaolin
I was looking for KFC and it took me to some mom and pop Mexican restaurant. Later when I use the lexus service figuring a person can search and load the nearest KFC....which gave me the same destination.
I used it again today to search bank of america near by. Well, this time the destination is 90 percent correct but instead of telling me it's located on the left it was telling me right....

This is worst than MY06 IS navi... strike 2
Old 02-05-13, 07:57 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ecr72
I believe the $169 pays for what's essentially a USB pin code. If they put the actual map data or firmware file on the USB drive and it updated automatically, the file would be shared on the web in a nanosecond of it's release.

The cost is obscene and the need to charge for both the USB and the install is weak. They could control the sale/install process just fine with a single upgrade fee since the dealers need to do the install anyway.
I just thought about it, and why does it have to be shared on the web?
For all of us that have been ripped-off $2,500+ on a Nav that's not very usable, free lifetime updates would go a long way towards customer satisfaction.
Old 02-05-13, 12:51 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I just thought about it, and why does it have to be shared on the web?
For all of us that have been ripped-off $2,500+ on a Nav that's not very usable, free lifetime updates would go a long way towards customer satisfaction.
It would be nice if we got at least 1 free update at our convenience. We bought our 2013 before the 12.1 maps came out, so ended up with 11.1 maps. As per lexusnavigation.com all maps are finalized in September of the previous year, so we have a 2013 car with 2010 maps and POI's. Also, under the FAQ section of the website, one of the reasons why updates can cost as much as a portable GPS unit is that the map information is validated. Must have missed a few Walmart's. We like the navigation system as a whole, just not the high price for the latest maps and POI's.
Old 02-05-13, 02:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I keep thinking/hoping that with all of the competition from phones and portable GPS the price of the Lexus update will come down. I guess they continue to do enough of them at those prices that it's profitable.
Old 02-05-13, 03:01 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by go3Ds
It would be nice if we got at least 1 free update at our convenience. We bought our 2013 before the 12.1 maps came out, so ended up with 11.1 maps. As per lexusnavigation.com all maps are finalized in September of the previous year, so we have a 2013 car with 2010 maps and POI's. Also, under the FAQ section of the website, one of the reasons why updates can cost as much as a portable GPS unit is that the map information is validated. Must have missed a few Walmart's. We like the navigation system as a whole, just not the high price for the latest maps and POI's.
What month did you buy your 2013? I purchased mine last week and surprisingly that is my new home address, which was completed end of October 2012. maybe I have later than 12.1 maps?

I agree Lexus should provide customer with one free upgrade if you purchase brand new. Also, at least we do not have to worry about the touch screen doesn't work like the IS/ISF touch screen... that'll cost about 2k to fix.

Quick Reply: Navigation errors -Rx350 2013