RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is the RX right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 06:29 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add my 2 cents...In the snow without snow tires, my 2010 RX is terrible. I've owned many 4 wheel drives and AWD doesn't compare. For snow, I think there are really only 2 choices, Subaru and Audi.

As far as gas mileage, I drive 80 on the highway and have never gotten better than 22 mpg at that speed. Also, in the city, I average 15 but I do have a heavy foot. If you are driving 500 miles a week, I hope you have deep pockets for gas.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Lexus but I am willing and able to compromise some things for the pleasure of driving it. If I was driving 500 miles a week I'd buy a Honda and drive it til it died. Then I would use my Lexus on the weekends!
Old 01-23-13, 07:03 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carfan1111
i myself have re looked into the q5, and wow, it drives so much better than the rx

but the downsides

1) less cargo space
2) rear seats/space imo are better in lexus
3) ?audi reliability

I have it down to these 2....I crossed out the x5, i dont like the steering feel in it
"WoW" is definitely what I said and felt.

1) yea, cargo space is really small for what it is and what you get.
2) rear seating space is definitely a winner for RX
3) Well, so far my friends that have Audi doesn't seem to complain about any issue...but again none of them have anything over 60k miles.

I have a feeling i might just end up buying a RX F-sport after all as there isn't anything else that I feel reliable other than Lexus.
Old 01-23-13, 07:08 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
I just purchased a '13 Rx on Dec 31 and I love it so far. I had it narrowed down between this and the Q5. The Q5 drives and handles great, but overall, I lived the luxury and feel of the Rx better. Plus, the placement of the side view mirrors was awkward for me- they seemed to block my view. Im a little taller than average for a female, and didnt have that issue in any other suv's that I test drove. Granted, I wasn't looking for a super sporty automobile, and was shopping more for value, comfort and reliability. Hands down. The Rx is a much better bang for your buck hands down, if that's what you're looking for.
You didn't think the Audi Q5 interior is a lot better than the RX?
Old 01-24-13, 05:04 AM
carfan1111
Rookie

Originally Posted by bextreme1
I'll add my 2 cents...In the snow without snow tires, my 2010 RX is terrible. I've owned many 4 wheel drives and AWD doesn't compare. For snow, I think there are really only 2 choices, Subaru and Audi.

As far as gas mileage, I drive 80 on the highway and have never gotten better than 22 mpg at that speed. Also, in the city, I average 15 but I do have a heavy foot. If you are driving 500 miles a week, I hope you have deep pockets for gas.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Lexus but I am willing and able to compromise some things for the pleasure of driving it. If I was driving 500 miles a week I'd buy a Honda and drive it til it died. Then I would use my Lexus on the weekends!
i get 20 mpg on the highway with my murano, so im used to paying for gas

what honda do you recommend?
Old 01-24-13, 08:34 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive driven a Q5, the 2013 model before I got my RX and I dont feel the interior is better than the RX's. Its too bland, too commercial, makes me feel like im driving a hyundai. Sure, the interior of the Q5 is built very well but there is no chance in the world that the interior is better than the RX's. Also, my RX F SPORT in my opinion is much better to drive than the Q5 2.0T i test drove.
Old 01-24-13, 09:10 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
Ive driven a Q5, the 2013 model before I got my RX and I dont feel the interior is better than the RX's. Its too bland, too commercial, makes me feel like im driving a hyundai. Sure, the interior of the Q5 is built very well but there is no chance in the world that the interior is better than the RX's. Also, my RX F SPORT in my opinion is much better to drive than the Q5 2.0T i test drove.
thanks for the opinion. I test drove the 3.0 and not 2.0 - i'll re-check again.

RX is not for me but definitely might be the right choice or best choice for a family...
Old 01-24-13, 09:25 AM
carfan1111
Rookie

Originally Posted by bextreme1

btw is the rx really that bad in snow?

and i looked at subaru, the forester is too small, and the tribeca, which i actually like how it looks, has gotten bad reviews from everyone lol
Old 01-24-13, 09:26 AM
carfan1111
Rookie

Originally Posted by shaolin
thanks for the opinion. I test drove the 3.0 and not 2.0 - i'll re-check again.

RX is not for me but definitely might be the right choice or best choice for a family...
which way are you leaning
Old 01-24-13, 10:02 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

which way are you leaning
haha - if it's for me I'll go with ISF. I still cannot justify spending about the same amount (a bit cheaper) on RX and or Q5 3.0.

But, if it comes down to RX or Q5 - I think I will still go with RX because I know I can do the maintenance myself and will be cheaper to buy toyota parts compare to German parts. Plus, since we drive a lot - when was the last time you heard someone you know that drives a german car over 100k, 200k, or 300k? Few weeks ago I met someone with RX400h and he is rolling on 350k miles with original factory battery - that's what I called overall reliability!

We're having a boy in march so RX will probability the better fit for family, but for myself - of course the ISF!
Old 01-24-13, 10:23 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think RX F Sport is definitely the one to get if youre getting an RX. It actually handles pretty good. Pretty damn close to an X5 and the ride is better than an X5's. And its not bad in snow at all. Its pretty good. Its better than the BMW SUV's thats for sure. My mates X6 has trouble going up little hills.
Old 01-24-13, 10:46 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by shaolin
You didn't think the Audi Q5 interior is a lot better than the RX?
You know, I had alot of friends who were trying to get me to choose the Q5, saying that it was so different as far as the interior, and I tried to buy into it, but just couldn't. I knew that I wanted luxury and after multiple test drives of each, I just felt the interior of the RX was alot nicer and fit the luxury appeal much better. The Q5's interior is definitely sleek, but I just thought the RX was better for me - it looks classic, like it will never go out of style (I love the '13 design!), doesn't make me feel old or like a "soccer mom" (I'm single in my mid-30s with no kids yet). I have gotten so many compliments (from men, mostly) at how nice my car is, which is a bit surprising considering the "everybody has one so it's a boring car" vibe alot of people have.

I take it you like the Q5 interior better?
Old 01-24-13, 11:34 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
You know, I had alot of friends who were trying to get me to choose the Q5, saying that it was so different as far as the interior, and I tried to buy into it, but just couldn't. I knew that I wanted luxury and after multiple test drives of each, I just felt the interior of the RX was alot nicer and fit the luxury appeal much better. The Q5's interior is definitely sleek, but I just thought the RX was better for me - it looks classic, like it will never go out of style (I love the '13 design!), doesn't make me feel old or like a "soccer mom" (I'm single in my mid-30s with no kids yet). I have gotten so many compliments (from men, mostly) at how nice my car is, which is a bit surprising considering the "everybody has one so it's a boring car" vibe alot of people have.

I take it you like the Q5 interior better?
Maybe I have Lexus for too long and RX started to look boring to me. I will have to check out the Q5 with wify this week and see if I have 2nd thoughts.
Old 01-24-13, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

If I were buying a luxury SUV in this price class and rear seat and cargo room were NOT a consideration, I would buy the Q5 without hesitation. There's just a level of solidity and quality to the interior thats just not there with the RX. Reliability is much better than it was.

Audi is making great cars nowadays, I would have chosen the A6 over my new GS if it weren't for the fact that their lease residuals were so poor.

As for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, we have a 2011 (the current body style) and love it. I've seen the whole "moose test" thing and they've done a lot of followup, nobody has been able to reproduce that behavior from that specific vehicle, and that vehicle was overloaded. LOTS of WK2 GC's out there, and no reports of rollovers or anything like that. There are 4 of them on my street along, everybody just loves theirs. Ours is very stable, 80-90MPH on the highway, it rides great, very comfortable. Great interior, Overland models have nappa leather, real wood trim, leather stitched door panels and dash. No way I would purchase an RX over a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland or Overland Summit.

The big drawback is fuel economy...its bad. We get 20-21 on a highway trip at best...16 around town. It has a big tank so range is good (500-550 miles), but its a shock when you fill up that 24 gallon tank and it rolls over $90.

I'd really lean towards the Q5 if I were you. The RX is a nice offering, but its the weakest vehicle in this segment IMHO. Sells well, but doesn't appeal to me.
Old 01-24-13, 03:11 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

btw is the rx really that bad in snow?

and i looked at subaru, the forester is too small, and the tribeca, which i actually like how it looks, has gotten bad reviews from everyone lol
In the Subaru line, the Outback is best choice. It is a very nice highway cruiser with a very smooth ride. The ride is at least as good as my RX ... maybe better. At 65 MPH, you can easily get 30 - 33 MPG out of the 2.5 CVT model. Gas mileage reduces as you pass 70 MPH. I don't know what you would get at 80 MPH. A few good things about the Outback. Chase has a Subaru credit card that pays 3% back. You will never pay for maintenance or extended warranties. Subarus really hold their value and a high mileage driver, like yourself, can get a new car every year or two for a small upgrade penalty. Finally, the car's AWD system is really great.

Last edited by UCSB; 01-24-13 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-24-13, 03:53 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I've seen the whole "moose test" thing and they've done a lot of followup, nobody has been able to reproduce that behavior from that specific vehicle, and that vehicle was overloaded.
I'm not sure how reliable the moose test is. Even the new Scion FR-S failed it.

FamilyRX
(coming soon)

Quick Reply: Is the RX right for me?