RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

TPMS Light Still On

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 12:54 PM
bonnier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Light Still On

The wifes car is displaying the Tire pressure warning light.
I checked the tire pressure and reset the TPMS switch. Set each tire to 32lbs.
The light stays on?
Any suggestions?
I told her to drive it today and hopefully the light will go off.

Possibly a bad TPMS sensor in one of the wheels?

Anyone got an idea what I might check or fix before I take it in?

Thanks
Old 12-14-12, 04:37 PM
jmhenrie
Driver School Candidate

Did you Check the Spare? it does not show but is monitered by the system on my 450h
cheers
Mike
Old 12-14-12, 05:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Most of the time it is the spare tire. Easily forgotten about, but it has a sensor just like all the other wheels.
Old 12-14-12, 11:28 PM
bonnier
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I'll check that puppy in the morning!
Old 12-15-12, 10:58 AM
bonnier
Driver School Candidate

Spare tire is not the problem, had 40lbs rated up to 50. Anyone else got any ideas? Are there any Lexus techs on here that might be able to suggest something. Is there a fuse related to the on-board TPMS? Can this light be considered a code that could be cleared with the correct tool? Anyone?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-12, 12:17 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

When you start the car, does the light blink or does it just stay on? If it doesn't blink, on the RX, it indicates a low pressure reading.

With TPMS, there is a default threshold pressure for when the light will come on, This is usually set at 25.6 or so psi for each sensor. Chances are that someone adjusted the threshold to a higher PSI so that the light comes on when the tires are at a pressure (i.e.) 30 psi, even if it is one sensor that has a misadjusted threshhold.

The easy wasy to correct this for the time being is first adjust tires to 30 psi. Then locate the button under the dash on either driver or passenger side that has a tire with the word "set".

With vehicle running, push and hold button for 3 seconds, then let go. Light will start flashing then after a few minutes, it will go out. Once this is done, you need to readjust your tires to a good "warm" setting. I.E. drive the car for 10-15 minutes to warm up tires. Then adjust tire pressure to between 36-38 psi. This will help for when tires cool back off and drop in pressure.

As a guide, for every ten degree change in temperature, roughly psi changes by 1.

So if your tires were warm and you set pressure at 30 and don't change the pressure up... when the tires cool off, say from 70 degrees down to 30 or 20, depending on the area you live in, the tire may come back on when you first start in the morning...

Hope this helps
Old 12-15-12, 05:09 PM
bonnier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ELITech
When you start the car, does the light blink or does it just stay on? If it doesn't blink, on the RX, it indicates a low pressure reading.

With TPMS, there is a default threshold pressure for when the light will come on, This is usually set at 25.6 or so psi for each sensor. Chances are that someone adjusted the threshold to a higher PSI so that the light comes on when the tires are at a pressure (i.e.) 30 psi, even if it is one sensor that has a misadjusted threshhold.

The easy wasy to correct this for the time being is first adjust tires to 30 psi. Then locate the button under the dash on either driver or passenger side that has a tire with the word "set".

With vehicle running, push and hold button for 3 seconds, then let go. Light will start flashing then after a few minutes, it will go out. Once this is done, you need to readjust your tires to a good "warm" setting. I.E. drive the car for 10-15 minutes to warm up tires. Then adjust tire pressure to between 36-38 psi. This will help for when tires cool back off and drop in pressure.

As a guide, for every ten degree change in temperature, roughly psi changes by 1.

So if your tires were warm and you set pressure at 30 and don't change the pressure up... when the tires cool off, say from 70 degrees down to 30 or 20, depending on the area you live in, the tire may come back on when you first start in the morning...

Hope this helps
This all makes perfect sense and I will try it tomorrow and report back. Thanks for all your help.
almost forgot. Yes when I did the reset it did the 3 blink thing and stayed on, never went off. When I start the car it just stays on, no blinking, so that means just low pressure issue and not a bad sensor if I read this correctly.

Thanks again,

Last edited by bonnier; 12-15-12 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-16-12, 01:23 PM
bonnier
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ELITech,
It worked.
I lowered all tires to 25% of rated OEM recommended setting in my case 30 lbs down to 24lbs. I included the spare just in case. I reset the TPMS switch as directed in the manual. I then pressurized the tires back up to 32 Lbs per my desire. Except for spare, set that at 40lbs which is where it was previously. Decided to take the car for a spin to warm up the tires but as soon as I took it out of the garage the light was off. Did a 10 mile drive at about 50 mph and still no light. Wife is happy camper again.
Thanks to all,
Mike
Old 12-16-12, 07:55 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running 24 psi on a 4500lbs beast? I hope you don't turn your car into a Ford Explorer when a tire explodes
Old 12-18-12, 04:54 PM
bonnier
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by cossie1600
Running 24 psi on a 4500lbs beast? I hope you don't turn your car into a Ford Explorer when a tire explodes
ComeonCossie1600 read it again. I said I reset it to 32psi.
Old 01-16-13, 07:56 AM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS light

Originally Posted by ELITech

Hope this helps
I am having a similar problem . My tires are at 31 or 32 lbs and the lite came on after a cold night. Is I am reading this right, I need to lower the pressure to 30, do the reset and then warm the tires up and increase the pressure. Is that right?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-13, 11:17 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

When TPMS comes on, is there any indication on which tire is needing the air? my e-class tells me exactly how many psi each tire has but i am unable to find that in my RX..
Old 01-18-13, 07:03 PM
ELITech
Driver

Originally Posted by texbanc
I am having a similar problem . My tires are at 31 or 32 lbs and the lite came on after a cold night. Is I am reading this right, I need to lower the pressure to 30, do the reset and then warm the tires up and increase the pressure. Is that right?

Thanks.
Texbanc,

Yes, lower the psi in your tires to approx 30 psi. Once you are there, hit your reset switch, this will drop the threshold to 25.6 or so. Then adjust your tires up to appropriate psi. You should be running approximately 36 psi...

Hope this helps
Old 01-18-13, 07:05 PM
ELITech
Driver

Originally Posted by davezaristo
When TPMS comes on, is there any indication on which tire is needing the air? my e-class tells me exactly how many psi each tire has but i am unable to find that in my RX..
Dave, the only one that has this option at the moment is our new LS platform...

The RX and others will be getting this ability, but I do not think it will be for a year or so...

Unfortunately in the meantime you will have to check each tire pressure...