RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

how do i lock doors with engine running?

Old 03-05-14, 06:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Left = lock
Right = open
The following users liked this post:
BeachBum7 (11-12-19)
Old 03-05-14, 07:17 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Two words, remote start. I can start the RXh from inside with a simple lock, lock, lock hold on the key fob. It turns off when a door handle is touched or 10 minutes, whichever comes first. corrado, it's freezing here too. I was almost tempted to use remote start before heading home tonight. This weather really stinks!
it a lease and dont feel like spending 600$ on remote start.I am going to try other suggestions here and get back to you guys
BeachBum7 (11-12-19)
Old 03-05-14, 07:35 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
+1 for the remote start.

Another possible option. What if you start the car, open the window, walk out, close door, reach in with the key in your hand and lock the doors and close then close the window?
thats interesting will try
Old 03-05-14, 05:27 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

+1 for the remote start.

Another possible option. What if you start the car, open the window, walk out, close door, reach in with the key in your hand and lock the doors and close then close the window?
I try this it worked perfectly
BeachBum7 (11-12-19)
Old 03-05-14, 07:05 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
I try this it worked perfectly
+1 for the remote start.

nightlife said it worked, but how do you raise the window from the outside with the door locked?
Ray
BeachBum7 (11-12-19)
Old 03-05-14, 07:10 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
nightlife said it worked, but how do you raise the window from the outside with the door locked?
Ray
Window crank on the outside, of course................
Old 03-05-14, 08:04 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Ray
You would leave the window open when you step out of the car so you can reach in to lock the door and close the window.
Old 03-05-14, 11:25 PM
finik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i was looking for solution thats stupid that you cant leave the car locked and running if you have to leave it for 1 minute
Old 03-06-14, 09:42 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

You would leave the window open when you step out of the car so you can reach in to lock the door and close the window.
exactly. great for warming up car without remote start
Old 03-06-14, 09:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

But remember anyone can drive off with the RX if they manage to unlock the doors. The key fob isn't needed once it's turned on. They just won't be able to restart it. And make sure you're not violating any laws. In some areas it's illegal to leave an idling vehicle in the driveway. Just saying...

Last edited by kitlz; 03-06-14 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-06-14, 08:17 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars left running to warm up even for a minute were stolen including an RX. Rash of carjackings and stolen cars. People complained that the Lexus Remote Start shuts off when you touch the door handle, but it eliminates those stolen cars.
BeachBum7 (11-12-19)
Old 03-06-14, 10:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

And make sure you're not violating any laws. In some areas it's illegal to leave an idling vehicle in the driveway. Just saying...
This is true in more places than one might think.
Old 03-07-14, 05:38 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

... And make sure you're not violating any laws. In some areas it's illegal to leave an idling vehicle in the driveway. Just saying...
It's called "puffing", and it's illegal in Colorado due in part to excessive pollution from the idling car. Thieves look for the condensation coming out of the exhaust on a cold morning (when people want to preheat the car), break a window to get in, and drive away. My sister's '70 Mustang Mach 1 was stolen this way. So sad!
Old 03-07-14, 08:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Woodrow
It's called "puffing", and it's illegal in Colorado due in part to excessive pollution from the idling car. Thieves look for the condensation coming out of the exhaust on a cold morning (when people want to preheat the car), break a window to get in, and drive away. My sister's '70 Mustang Mach 1 was stolen this way. So sad!
Woody, at least Colorado has their laws to help mitigate the pollution, and not just from cars. I wish we had something like that here. Oh and don't get me started on mass transit or lack thereof. Plenty of options traveling to the city but anywhere else requires a car. I used to enjoy taking the bus when I lived in Denver years ago. The bus station was across the street from work in LoDo and dropped me off two blocks from my apartment in Cherry Creek. I'm glad to see they expanded the light rail system when I visited last September. You bet I used it too. There's a lot more traffic now.

Back on topic (somewhat), while I agree idling a vehicle is not good, it's sometimes necessary to defrost windows and take the edge off. It's a matter of doing it wisely for safety and the environment's sake.
Old 03-10-14, 11:27 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always taken the the "actual key" out of the fob and used that on the outside driver's door to lock the car while it's running. I've done this while traveling with my pets in the summer so I can leave the A/C on at a rest area, for example. Then when you return to the car you use the "real key" to unlock the door. You can even leave the fob in the vehicle. I usually put it on the bottom console. That's the only way I know of to lock the RX while the engine is running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do i lock doors with engine running?