RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Blacked out bumper on a white F Sport

Old 01-07-13, 04:14 PM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacked out bumper on a white F Sport

I copied CorradoMR2 and blacked out the bumper on my white F sport. I don't think I really like it. I blacked it out with PlastiDip and it has matt black finish to it. It makes it look more like a cheap rubber bumper...

I think I might have to do a glossy dark gray color like some of the new LS's.

Sorry for the dark images. Just hasn't been too sunny here for the past few weeks.

First pic is before. Next two are after.
Attached Thumbnails Blacked out bumper on a white F Sport-image.jpeg   Blacked out bumper on a white F Sport-image-1.jpeg   Blacked out bumper on a white F Sport-image-2.jpeg  
Old 01-08-13, 05:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hmm im not a fan of that im afraid. Like you say, it looks like a cheap rubber bumper. I think you are better off staying with the white!
Old 01-08-13, 10:02 AM
dennis09x
Driver School Candidate

i agree, it's not quite doing the trick. White is beautiful in my opinion. It's hard to add to it. I've seen people use black on the roof with white vehicles. Not sure how it would add up in your case.
Old 01-08-13, 11:26 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I would have thought that would look really good, but I agree. It seems too stark.

Maybe something more gray to soften the contrast with the bright white. Can you find a Plastidip color that matches the wheels (or close)? Or maybe something closer to the tint on the windows?
Old 01-08-13, 03:11 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Original looks better ... but, interesting exercise.
Old 01-09-13, 05:57 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think its the plastic black on the bumper that doesnt give you the look you want. The LS has a body coloured and chrome bumper at the bottom, whereas the RX has a black plastic one.
Old 01-09-13, 08:13 AM
dennis09x
Driver School Candidate

maybe a chrome colored center piece instead of black? You can get that vinyl stuff in any color now.
Old 01-09-13, 09:13 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dennis09x
maybe a chrome colored center piece instead of black? You can get that vinyl stuff in any color now.
I've yet to see a chrome color vinyl that I like. I run a printing company and we're always looking at these products. Not for wraps but we'd love an alternative to rigid silver polyester for the chrome look.

As far as the pics above. I think the black center could work if it was framed a little better. Like the LS. If the bottom piece that comes black were painted white, I think it would work. As is, it just looks like something is missing.

Any issues with the parking sensors with the PlastiDip on it?
Old 01-09-13, 09:42 AM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for looking everyone. I thought about chroming the bottom lip like the LS. I just need to find the right chrome vinyl. In that same respect, I would think the other part of the lip (beneath the foglight) needs to be white.

Concerning the parking sensors, I was very surprised that they still work fine. I did this as test knowing plastidip is removeable but I saw that there are several ridges in the sensors that might have made cleanup difficult. What I did was cover the sensors with bluetape and used my fingernails to lightly shape the blue tape into the circle shape of the sensors. The blue circles came out perfect and protected the sensors. After that, I plastidipped over the sensors thinking I would need to turn the parking sensors off. Low and behold, the sensors still worked.
Old 01-11-13, 08:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

For what it's worth Strife77, I do like it more than the other folks but I have to admit a bias here. I'm glad you went for it and posted these great pics. It looks menacing. Darth Vader comes to mind. Imagine seeing that in a rear view mirror. However, I do agree with the others for a little shine and/or less black to more closely match the shiny dark gray sport grill above to give it a more ”factory” look. But if I had to pick between the matte black work you did and original Starfire bumper, my vote's with the black.

Keep posting your work, especially if you add chrome to the bottom. I like this idea and I may take this one from you in return for mine
Old 01-15-13, 10:31 AM
peh
Driver School Candidate

I like it. Looks agressive.
Old 01-16-13, 03:02 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it as well
Old 01-17-13, 01:47 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great. Now, can you start your next project and make the rear look more aggressive?
Old 01-17-13, 01:54 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good IMO
Old 01-17-13, 06:04 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that the IS-F sport is out it looks very similar to that. I have to say I don't mind it. No chrome. Then it will look like VW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blacked out bumper on a white F Sport