RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Ipod connectivity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 09:38 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ipod connectivity?

special order RX350 will be ready late Jan.
I have been reading some RX manuals on line...
it talks about a special port for an Ipod.
What exactly is this? Is it an apple port in the car? Where is it located? Or is it a standard USB port? Can it only be an Ipod, or will a Nano work the same? What is benefit of this, vs. using your smartphone which also contains your music database?
I assume the software in the Nav makes the interface more itunes-like vs. other methods of introducing your music into the Nav? Sorry for all the questions, hopefully someone has been through all this already and can give me a heads-up. I have an IPad, and Macs, but no Ipod, it sounds like it would be beneficial to own one, and leave it in the car as a permanent music database?
Old 12-31-12, 12:45 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolphin
special order RX350 will be ready late Jan.
I have been reading some RX manuals on line...
it talks about a special port for an Ipod.
What exactly is this? Is it an apple port in the car? Where is it located? Or is it a standard USB port? Can it only be an Ipod, or will a Nano work the same? What is benefit of this, vs. using your smartphone which also contains your music database?
I assume the software in the Nav makes the interface more itunes-like vs. other methods of introducing your music into the Nav? Sorry for all the questions, hopefully someone has been through all this already and can give me a heads-up. I have an IPad, and Macs, but no Ipod, it sounds like it would be beneficial to own one, and leave it in the car as a permanent music database?
I drove one in November for two weeks.

Inside the center console is an auxiliary port (3.5mm) and a USB port. There is also a cigarette style adapter port for power. If you look at interior pictures of the console, it is the "box" area where your elbow might touch or lean on if you were driving.

I don't know much about how the Enform system works because I didn't mess around with it much. I read that it can somehow interface with certain apps like Pandora and that you can control the app through the car interface as opposed to having to look down at your phone.

I have an android and hooked up the music through the auxiliary port which meant that I still had to control the music from my smart phone. Worked great and the console can close up and conceal all the wires.

I also used a flash drive with mp3s on it as well. If you use a flash drive then you just control everything through the car's interface. Not sure what file format it recognizes since I don't have that particular flash drive on me at the moment but it's probably FAT32.

EDIT: I realize that I didn't specifically answer your question but I am just trying to help.

Last edited by jwigley; 12-31-12 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 01:23 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Basically and as Jwiggly described it's a USB port designed for the iPod. To use the car's mouse type control and screen and select music by artist, genre, album, etc you'll need an iPod plugged into the USB. It works very well. A flash drive can work but looses the functionality of the iPod in selecting the way you want the music played.
Old 12-31-12, 01:53 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, so the Ipod does add functionality to the music playback through the Nav, even though its a standard USB port...

Will the Nav see all your playlists, display them....then you can select a given playlist for playback? I assume so, as that is what makes itunes unique... yes? please say yes :-)