RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Chrome Wheels - A little more than I wanted to spend

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 01:26 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

250 isnt expensive at all!
Old 01-30-13, 03:07 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where can i find the chrome skin for stock 18" skin 5-spoke?
Thanks
Old 01-30-13, 05:36 PM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting product - it's like a glorified hub cap. How far back do the skins go? Do they make the wheels harder to clean?
Old 02-02-13, 08:00 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
My RX came with actual chrome wheels from the dealer. i didn't even realize you put skins on. That looks good! I actually like the bling on my Obsidian RX350.
Your chrome wheels look great! Yes, bling is good. Those who claim they don't care for the bling are simply jealous that they don't have the bling. C'mon folks, embrace the bling!

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
250 isnt expensive at all!
No, you're right. $250 for chrome wheels is a great deal. Now that the chrome skins are on ebay for less than $115 shipped, it's an awesome deal!

Originally Posted by dwlink
Interesting product - it's like a glorified hub cap. How far back do the skins go? Do they make the wheels harder to clean?
The wheel skins simply convert your wheels into chrome wheels that are barely indistinguishable from chrome dipped wheels. They are no different from cleaning any other wheel, so, harder to clean, no. Once again, I'm very particular about the look of my vehicles. If these wheel skins looked hoaky in any way, they wouldn't be on my ride.
Old 02-02-13, 02:10 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Interesting, i might have to get some for the wife.

And edit: any idea where i might find some for the regular 5 spoke 18s that are on my car? Didnt see any more on ebay.

Last edited by lamar411; 02-02-13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 02:54 PM
ADI$A69
Rookie

i may wanna get some for my wifes RX. any links? 18 inch 5 spokes
Old 02-02-13, 06:52 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
Where can i find the chrome skin for stock 18" skin 5-spoke?
Thanks
Originally Posted by lamar411
Interesting, i might have to get some for the wife.

And edit: any idea where i might find some for the regular 5 spoke 18s that are on my car? Didnt see any more on ebay.
Originally Posted by KAZEMBE
i may wanna get some for my wifes RX. any links? 18 inch 5 spokes
Sorry to say, I don't believe they are available at this time for the Gen 3 RX350 18" 5-spokes. During my search, I could only find the skins for the Gen 1 RX300 16" wheels and Gen 3 RX350 19" 7-spokes. A bit ironic I do believe since there are way more Gen 3 18" 5-spokes out there than the 19" wheels. Lucky for me, I guess. Keep looking though, they're bound to turn up eventually.
Old 03-06-13, 09:35 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Your chrome wheels look great! Yes, bling is good. Those who claim they don't care for the bling are simply jealous that they don't have the bling. C'mon folks, embrace the bling
lmao I agree.
Old 03-21-13, 05:03 PM
cless
Driver School Candidate

Hi, thanks for the pictures, I am interested too to buy the chrome wheel skins,
but the one on ebay has been sold.

I found the source
https://detroitwheelandtire.com/chro...2011-2012.html

but no stock, does anybody know another website??

thanks
Old 03-25-13, 07:26 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cless
does anybody know another website??
This is where I bought mine. -------> Lexus RX350 Chrome Wheelskins

The price has been lowered $55 since I made the purchase last December. These folks are very easy to work with and the shipping to the lower 48 is free. Get out your credit card and give Phil a call toll free at 888-526-0273, 8am to 5pm Pacific Time.

StillLine

Last edited by StillLine; 03-25-13 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 10:32 AM
jyousc
Driver School Candidate

After contemplating these chrome wheel skins for a while, I decided to purchase them and stop wondering whether or not they would look good on my wheels and enhance the look of the SUV.

I tried ordering these chrome wheel skins from two other websites with lower prices, but found out they did not carry them after placing orders and getting refunds. Indeed, Auto Amenity had them in stock and delivered in just under one week. Shipping was included in the price. Before placing the chrome wheel skins on, the SUV and wheels were washed and cleaned inside and out. Installation was easy... just put the skins over the wheels and snap them in place with the palm of your hands and some light force.

My initial impression of the chrome wheel skins:

From up close, I can tell there is something on top of the original stock wheel/rim. They look like chrome hub caps because they add a layer to the wheel and stick out from the wheel like a hub cap. The chrome wheel skin itself as well as the soft foam that goes around the inner wheel skin rim to protect and prevent it from scratching the original wheel/rim add the layer. I think the wheels look cheap since I can tell it's essentially a chrome hub cab. Perhaps I have discerning eyes.

From afar, the chrome wheel skins look great and sparkle nicely.

To improve the look, when my tires are up for replacement, I think getting ones with a lip around the wheels/rims would decrease the visible layer of the chrome wheel skin that sticks out a little (if this makes any sense at all - not sure what the proper term is).

This is where I bought mine. -------> Lexus RX350 Chrome Wheelskins

The price has been lowered $55 since I made the purchase last December. These folks are very easy to work with and the shipping to the lower 48 is free. Get out your credit card and give Phil a call toll free at 888-526-0273, 8am to 5pm Pacific Time.

StillLine

Old 12-11-13, 01:44 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Silent protest in my head about this entire thread. Your vehicle so choose to mod how you wish but I would be very upset to walk by a Lex and see chrome hubcaps. You want bling, then buy bling, not a bling substitute.

To the post above: altering your 1k+ purchase of new tires in order to make these hubcaps look better is wrong from every considerable angle.
Old 12-11-13, 11:14 PM
tak06
Rookie

With all due respect to the OP, and I realize appearance is subjective, I couldn't possibly install chrome hub caps on my RX. I need the real thing.
Old 10-20-14, 02:37 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Cool Looking good!

Originally Posted by CoastalRX
Interesting, they look good.

Since youve had them before, how does the original finish of the wheel hold up. Im wondering if dirt gets in between and scratches.
After nearly two years now, I can finally answered this question. I recently removed the chrome wheelskins and had the RX 350 detailed at a local shop. The original wheels underneath still look like new and wheelskins also still look like new. I'm very happy with the purchase of these chrome wheelskins.
Old 10-21-14, 07:44 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

After nearly two years now, I can finally answered this question. I recently removed the chrome wheelskins and had the RX 350 detailed at a local shop. The original wheels underneath still look like new and wheelskins also still look like new. I'm very happy with the purchase of these chrome wheelskins.
Good to know both wheels and skins held up well after almost 2 years.

When you can, would you mind posting an up close pic so I can see them better.

Quick Reply: Chrome Wheels - A little more than I wanted to spend