RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Please review: Any other features I should get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 06:52 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please review: Any other features I should get?

Hello, all,

I'm about to begin the process to buy a 2013 RX350. I was about to start the communication with the internet sales manager, but wanted to see if you guys think there is anything else I should ask for.

I checked the dealer's inventory, and they have a car I'm interested in. It has the following specs:

Exterior: Obsidian
Interior: Parchment leather trim with Brown Walnut accent

Navigation Package w/ Backup Camera Package
Premium Package w/Blind spot monitor
Comfort Package
19in 7-spoke alloy wheels
Intuitive Parking Assist
Wood/leather trimmed steering wheel and shift ****
Towing Prep package
Premium Audio System
Preferred Accessory Package (Cargo Net, Cargo Mat, Wheel Locks, Smart Access Key Gloves)
Cargo net - spider
MSRP: $49,229

I think this car has all the features I really want. I looked up the difference between the Premium package and luxury package, and the extra things the luxury package had were not things I HAVE to have, considering this one has the comfort package (although the illuminated door sill would be nice, being a single woman). I know that alot of people get excited about the HUD display, but I haven't been convinced that it's something that I must have - could be that I just don't know enough about it. From the advice on this forum, though, I know I'm going to ask for Michelin tires instead of the standard.

Any other features you really enjoy that you think I should look for?
Also, I noticed there is a footnote on the description that talks about 19in performance tires wear and tear much quicker than conventional tires. Is this a big deal? All of the available cars at this dealership have the 19in wheels, is that the standard for the RX?

Thanks for your help! I will be excited when I get this deal done!
Old 12-20-12, 08:41 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Rxhopeful, congrats on finding an RX. Sounds good. I'm sure you'll be very happy. The 19" tires may be common in your area. I think they're fine and actually ride better than the 18"s. No unusual tire wear either. If you can get the RX with Michelins, you should be set for a while. Sewell carries the illuminated sills. They're super easy to install. I save the old ones for when I bring in the RXh for service. Mine are white even though blue is standard for the hybrid. I wanted them to match the LED interior lights I put in. The only two things I would add are mud guards and side guards for the doors if you want that extra protection. See if they'll throw those in for you. Otherwise Sewell carries them and you can put them on yourself or find an indy shop to save a few bucks.

Good luck with negotiations.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 12-20-12, 09:10 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The vehicle seems pretty much loaded to me. However there are a few things I would like to point out.

1) Be prepared to wash the vehicle every week. Black gets dirty in a matter of days. This is not that much of an issue as other colours get dirty too but it shows up most on black. Also, the obsidian black is a particularly delicate paint. Be prepared to hand wash the car as automatic car washes will ruin the finish.

2) Stone chips and scratches are easily seen on obsidian. The paint being delicate does not help also.

3) Either invest in some good quality rubber floor mats, such as weathertech or husky liners or be prepared to clean the carpets alot. The beige carpets are a magnet for stains, especially mud stains although rubber mats such as weathertechs and husky liners can solve this problem.

4) The seats may stain. Blue jeans are particularly a problem and some stains will not come out. Had beige seats in my RX300 and having 2 kids at the time, it was a nightmare. The seats looked dull and dirty all the time unless the interior was thoroughly valeted and maintained. A black or tan interior will not be as much of a problem.

I am by no means getting you to change your preference, i am merely just informing you of potential complaints you may have after buying the vehicle. Of course, if you are not too bothered about stone chips and scratches as well as maintenance, this is the perfect car for you!

Good luck!
Old 12-20-12, 11:20 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Rxhopeful, congrats on finding an RX. Sounds good. I'm sure you'll be very happy. The 19" tires may be common in your area. I think they're fine and actually ride better than the 18"s. No unusual tire wear either. If you can get the RX with Michelins, you should be set for a while. Sewell carries the illuminated sills. They're super easy to install. I save the old ones for when I bring in the RXh for service. Mine are white even though blue is standard for the hybrid. I wanted them to match the LED interior lights I put in. The only two things I would add are mud guards and side guards for the doors if you want that extra protection. See if they'll throw those in for you. Otherwise Sewell carries them and you can put them on yourself or find an indy shop to save a few bucks.

Good luck with negotiations.
Anita, thanks for the extra pointers! I will ask for those as well. Sewell is one of the dealerships I'm getting bids from, so we'll see what happens!
Old 12-20-12, 11:30 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by rayaans
The vehicle seems pretty much loaded to me. However there are a few things I would like to point out.

1) Be prepared to wash the vehicle every week. Black gets dirty in a matter of days. This is not that much of an issue as other colours get dirty too but it shows up most on black. Also, the obsidian black is a particularly delicate paint. Be prepared to hand wash the car as automatic car washes will ruin the finish.

2) Stone chips and scratches are easily seen on obsidian. The paint being delicate does not help also.

3) Either invest in some good quality rubber floor mats, such as weathertech or husky liners or be prepared to clean the carpets alot. The beige carpets are a magnet for stains, especially mud stains although rubber mats such as weathertechs and husky liners can solve this problem.

4) The seats may stain. Blue jeans are particularly a problem and some stains will not come out. Had beige seats in my RX300 and having 2 kids at the time, it was a nightmare. The seats looked dull and dirty all the time unless the interior was thoroughly valeted and maintained. A black or tan interior will not be as much of a problem.

I am by no means getting you to change your preference, i am merely just informing you of potential complaints you may have after buying the vehicle. Of course, if you are not too bothered about stone chips and scratches as well as maintenance, this is the perfect car for you!

Good luck!
Good looking out and thanks for pointing out these things. As far as the car getting dirty, the good thing is if I buy from of the dealers here in Dallas, they offer complimentary car washes, so keeping the exterior clean should be relatively easy. Also, my current car is black so I'm well aware of the dirt showing up quickly on black cars. No worries there.

Is the obsidian black paint the only paint that is delicate? Are there other colors that aren't? I hadn't thought about the paint being delicate. I guess this is why people get paint protectant?

I was a little concerned with the carpet because of the beige color and definitely plan to invest in some high quality mats. I will check out the brands you recommended above.

Thanks for reminding me about the stains on the seats. I remember a friend of mine bought a GX last year and her driver's seat got stained after just a few months of having it because she wore a new pair of blue jeans. She ended up having to put a towel on the seat and sitting on it. Is there some type of Scotchguard or leather protectant that could stop that from happening? My other option would be black on black, but my other car is black on black and I wanted to go with something different (not really a fan of the light gray or the tan with the black).
Old 12-20-12, 12:34 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rxhopeful
The carpet mats that we get in North America are either black or a deep brown-since you are getting parchment the carpet mats will be deep brown....please consider getting the clear plastic (3M or another) on at least the hood and have it wrap around the fenders... that should prevent most of the chipping - otherwise you will get ugly chips.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
wintering in
Pt Charlotte, Fl
Old 12-20-12, 01:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
Good looking out and thanks for pointing out these things. As far as the car getting dirty, the good thing is if I buy from of the dealers here in Dallas, they offer complimentary car washes, so keeping the exterior clean should be relatively easy. Also, my current car is black so I'm well aware of the dirt showing up quickly on black cars. No worries there.
Lexus paint is soft regardless of color. Obsidian will show swirls very easily especially if you use the dealer to wash the RX. I'd stay far, far away after seeing the damage on a few loaners. You might want to consider putting on a sealant to protect the paint and clear bra the front like dentate suggested. You'll be glad you did. I say that as a former black RX owner myself.
Old 12-20-12, 02:11 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Lexus paint is soft regardless of color. Obsidian will show swirls very easily especially if you use the dealer to wash the RX. I'd stay far, far away after seeing the damage on a few loaners. You might want to consider putting on a sealant to protect the paint and clear bra the front like dentate suggested. You'll be glad you did. I say that as a former black RX owner myself.
Oh, I see.....hmmmm, you guys have me thinking now. Do you think the Stargazer Black would be better?
Old 12-20-12, 02:14 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Or possibly the Satin Cashmere Metallic? That looks like a pretty color.
Old 12-20-12, 03:28 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of "gold" colors but saw the Satin Cashmere Metallic yesterday morning and it's a very nice color. It certainly would not need to be washed as often as the black variants. Gold and silver metallic hides dirt very well in my experience

As for the leather dye transfer issue, what you need to do is apply a protection product to minimize any transfer and make cleaning easier if / when it does happen. There are a handful of threads about the dye transfer issue as well as ones about leather care. We just bought a 2010 with only 14K miles. It has the light color interior. I guess it's called parchment or cashmere. I just purchased some products from Leather Master. A cleaner and a protection cream that I'll be applying this weekend. If you do go for the light color interior, read some of the leather care threads to understand what auto leather actually is (painted) and which products to use and more importantly which not to use in order to keep it clean and protected.

HUD - While I haven't seen it in action on the RX, I had a 98 Grand Prix with it and I loved it. I swore I would never own a car without it again. Then I moved on and have never owned a car with it since. Bottom line is it's a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-04-20)
Old 12-20-12, 06:11 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last things you need to add is the tinted windows and body side moldings. You have everything that I got and can probably get the two things I mentioned thrown in.
Old 12-20-12, 06:33 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not that Lexus paint is softer than others, it's the current formulation in the industry because of EPA regulations. I have Black Sapphire Pearl (no longer available) that is almost black and it is harder to keep clean and swirl free than a lighter color would be. But if you like black paint and can live with the cleaning aspects of it go ahead and enjoy it. Dealer car washes are pretty hard on the cars surface, especially if they use the swirl brushes, I usually pass on the free wash.
Old 12-20-12, 08:42 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
Hello, all,

I'm about to begin the process to buy a 2013 RX350. I was about to start the communication with the internet sales manager, but wanted to see if you guys think there is anything else I should ask for.

I checked the dealer's inventory, and they have a car I'm interested in. It has the following specs:

Exterior: Obsidian
Interior: Parchment leather trim with Brown Walnut accent

Navigation Package w/ Backup Camera Package
Premium Package w/Blind spot monitor
Comfort Package
19in 7-spoke alloy wheels
Intuitive Parking Assist
Wood/leather trimmed steering wheel and shift ****
Towing Prep package
Premium Audio System
Preferred Accessory Package (Cargo Net, Cargo Mat, Wheel Locks, Smart Access Key Gloves)
Cargo net - spider
MSRP: $49,229

I think this car has all the features I really want. I looked up the difference between the Premium package and luxury package, and the extra things the luxury package had were not things I HAVE to have, considering this one has the comfort package (although the illuminated door sill would be nice, being a single woman). I know that alot of people get excited about the HUD display, but I haven't been convinced that it's something that I must have - could be that I just don't know enough about it. From the advice on this forum, though, I know I'm going to ask for Michelin tires instead of the standard.

Any other features you really enjoy that you think I should look for?
Also, I noticed there is a footnote on the description that talks about 19in performance tires wear and tear much quicker than conventional tires. Is this a big deal? All of the available cars at this dealership have the 19in wheels, is that the standard for the RX?

Thanks for your help! I will be excited when I get this deal done!
IMO you will be fine with the obsidian. i just recently purchased the exact veh for my wife you are looking at.. Purchased in Dallas although I live in Houston area. Unless u live down dirt rd with mud the carpets wont be a problem. The black mats help quite a bit and the carpet should stay clean. i drive es350 with parchment int and its 2.5 yrs old and carpet is like new. Go with your instincts on color and dont worry anout all the little things in life. Ask them to put pinstripe on, its very subtle but adds nice touch to Obsidian and they did front/side window tint free of chg,pin stripe was at no chg also. Back side windows already come tinted. Good luck and you will enjoy the Drive.

Last edited by JRey350hou; 12-20-12 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-21-12, 05:16 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

[QUOTE=kitlz;7660980]Lexus paint is soft regardless of color. Obsidian will show swirls very easily especially if you use the dealer to wash the RX. I'd stay far, far away after seeing the damage on a few loaners. You might want to consider putting on a sealant to protect the paint and clear bra the front like dentate suggested. You'll be glad you did. I say that as a former black RX owner myself.[/QUOTE

What type paint sealant should I get? Should I get it done at the dealer or another place? About how much does that cost?
Old 12-21-12, 05:22 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by JRey350hou
IMO you will be fine with the obsidian. i just recently purchased the exact veh for my wife you are looking at.. Purchased in Dallas although I live in Houston area. Unless u live down dirt rd with mud the carpets wont be a problem. The black mats help quite a bit and the carpet should stay clean. i drive es350 with parchment int and its 2.5 yrs old and carpet is like new. Go with your instincts on color and dont worry anout all the little things in life. Ask them to put pinstripe on, its very subtle but adds nice touch to Obsidian and they did front/side window tint free of chg,pin stripe was at no chg also. Back side windows already come tinted. Good luck and you will enjoy the Drive.
Thanks, JRey, I think I will stick with the Obsidian/Parchment combo. i just want to make sure how to take the best care of it, since I plan on keeping it for a long time. So, it comes with black mats? Thanks for the tips on the pinstripe and the tint.

Quick Reply: Please review: Any other features I should get?