RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

steering column rattling DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 03:14 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default steering column rattling DIY?

are there any DIY instructions on how to fix this or at least lessen the noise? i thought i read in a post about someone zip tying something and that worked, but didnt see any specifics.
Old 05-01-17, 06:29 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The last time I checked, the whole column has to be replaced. I got mine done at the dealer after warranty has expired. They paid for parts and I paid for labor. I don't think it's something that you can take on as a DIY

good luck
Old 06-13-17, 01:36 PM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fpan87
The last time I checked, the whole column has to be replaced. I got mine done at the dealer after warranty has expired. They paid for parts and I paid for labor. I don't think it's something that you can take on as a DIY

good luck
Our 2012 was diagnosed with this today. How much did the dealer quote to fix?
Old 06-13-17, 01:56 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

How could you tell it's coming from the steering wheel column? I also have some sort of rattling noise seemed to to come from the instrument display area ... the rattling noise only happens when I step on the brake to slow down ... one of these days I will dismantle the instrument panel to find the culprit ...
Old 06-14-17, 05:09 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bltkmt
Our 2012 was diagnosed with this today. How much did the dealer quote to fix?
I think the labor was in the $700 range which included wheel alignment and new steering fluid. Not bad for the difference and peace of mind. The constant rattle was driving me nuts after a while
Old 06-14-17, 05:13 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TN7CON
How could you tell it's coming from the steering wheel column? I also have some sort of rattling noise seemed to to come from the instrument display area ... the rattling noise only happens when I step on the brake to slow down ... one of these days I will dismantle the instrument panel to find the culprit ...
You can turn the steering wheel full motion left-right while you're in park mode and you'll hear sort of a clunking/clicking noise. But it's more prominent when you're going over bumps or anything that shakes the weight of the car. Your symptoms don't align with the steering column rattle, I think the batch that were effected are 2010-early 2012 models in the rx family.
Old 10-13-19, 11:59 AM
VladMel
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2010 rx350 steering column replacement

Hello everyone.So I have very noisy steering column that is original part from 2010.I bought replacement part from 2013 lexus rx350 and after I swapped them I could not start engine.I have check engine light on and steering light on.All the harness was plugged in correctly,steering adjustments working fine but car wont start.It just cranking engine and thats it.SO my main question is Do I need to reprogram ecu or anything like that after this replacement??The part is identical just different part numbers The old one is 452-50-0e020 the new one is 45250-0e081
The following users liked this post:
Gulomzhon (11-29-19)
Old 10-14-19, 01:28 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VladMel
Hello everyone.So I have very noisy steering column that is original part from 2010.I bought replacement part from 2013 lexus rx350 and after I swapped them I could not start engine.I have check engine light on and steering light on.All the harness was plugged in correctly,steering adjustments working fine but car wont start.It just cranking engine and thats it.SO my main question is Do I need to reprogram ecu or anything like that after this replacement??The part is identical just different part numbers The old one is 452-50-0e020 the new one is 45250-0e081
Hello, my rx is also suffering from rattles under the steering column and looking for a replacement rather than having it replaced at the dealership, costing over $2700. So, is it suitable for a 2010 rx to run with a 2013 rx’s steering column? Have you did research before you literally replaced it?
Old 10-14-19, 02:25 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yinan0124
Hello, my rx is also suffering from rattles under the steering column and looking for a replacement rather than having it replaced at the dealership, costing over $2700. So, is it suitable for a 2010 rx to run with a 2013 rx’s steering column? Have you did research before you literally replaced it?
To get rid of this noise you only have to use part from 2013-2015 I did this replacement by myself for just couple hours) Im thinking of making a DIY about this issue Is this will be helpful for all that people who doesn’t want to spend 3000$ at dealer and doesn’t afraid to do it by himself?
The following users liked this post:
theodoregcajuste (04-02-24)
Old 10-14-19, 02:37 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

To get rid of this noise you only have to use part from 2013-2015 I did this replacement by myself for just couple hours) Im thinking of making a DIY about this issue Is this will be helpful for all that people who doesn’t want to spend 3000$ at dealer and doesn’t afraid to do it by himself?
Thank you for your brave try! Last week, I had my issue diagnosed by my local mechanic and he said the replacement of steering shaft should address this issue. Did you get some diagnosis from your local mechanics? I'm not sure if he was right. Do you want to give it a shot by replacing the steering shaft?

As for your problem, there is a TSB which tells you the specific procedure to do the work. Have you checked that TSB? I can email you a copy if you need that.
Old 10-14-19, 02:41 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Thank you for your brave try! Last week, I had my issue diagnosed by my local mechanic and he said the replacement of steering shaft should address this issue. Did you get some diagnosis from your local mechanics? I'm not sure if he was right. Do you want to give it a shot by replacing the steering shaft?

As for your problem, there is a TSB which tells you the specific procedure to do the work. Have you checked that TSB? I can email you a copy if you need that.
Do you have rx350 2010? If yes then do the simple test get in your car start it and turn the steering wheel fast to the right and left if you will feel knowing than its 100% steering column not steering shaft.This issue related to all lexuses rx gs of 2010 2011 as I know.
Old 10-14-19, 02:44 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fpan87

good luck
My rx350 is suffering from this issue now and I'm contacting with Lexus Headquarter USA. Could you please share the experience how you convinced them to give you free parts ? I really appreciate your help.
Old 10-14-19, 07:05 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattles from steering column on 2010 rx350

Hello everyone, My Rx is suffering the notorious rattles from the steering column and I have read many threads from the owners of the same batch during 2010-2011. Dealer quoted $2700 to get it fixed which is too pricey for me, a student to afford.

Since there is no safety issue, I've decided to live with it. But I'm worrying that this rattle will get louder in the future. Looking forward to hearing from other rattle victims about your latest update about how serious the noise has developed since it first appeared ? How long have you been living with this issue ?

Appreciate any replies and suggestions! Thank you!
Old 10-14-19, 07:15 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Do you have rx350 2010? If yes then do the simple test get in your car start it and turn the steering wheel fast to the right and left if you will feel knowing than its 100% steering column not steering shaft.This issue related to all lexuses rx gs of 2010 2011 as I know.
OK, then it's a big issue that I'm facing. You can follow the procedure by the TSB and try to figure out what your problem is. Could you tell me where you bought the 2013 replacement and how much was the cost ?
Old 10-14-19, 07:21 PM
VladMel
Rookie

OK, then it's a big issue that I'm facing. You can follow the procedure by the TSB and try to figure out what your problem is. Could you tell me where you bought the 2013 replacement and how much was the cost ?
I got replacement part on ebay for 160$ this is unbelievable but everything is working and no more noises from column the part number of new column is 0e081

Quick Reply: steering column rattling DIY?