RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 rx350 cpo price! Deal or no deal? Advice please!

Old 06-01-13, 10:21 AM
sk52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 rx350 cpo price! Deal or no deal? Advice please!

Hello, I'm new to the forum in search of a car so please bear with me!
I am located in NY and I am in search of a CPO white 2010 rx 350 awd with navigation and under 30,000 miles.
What ballpark price is an average to good deal with these specs?

I was quoted $36k OTD inclusive of taxes and fees on a car with 26k miles.
They just called me back when I offered 33k OTD saying they sold it for 36k.

I would be more upset but I'm hopeful there is another car out there in condition, less cracks in driver leather seats, less pebble dings and tiny scratches. The pickings have been slim for a white rx 350 that fit my criteria but I'm hopeful I can find one at a decent price as I need one asap. The only places that now have it available have a large internet sticker price of 37k and 35.5k, not including tax and fees.

Also, when I read the quotes that people have purchased their vehicle for, are they including fees and tax or just the price on car itself? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by sk52; 06-02-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-01-13, 10:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, sk52. I checked my dealer in NJ and found a '10 RX350 in white, nav, new tires, and 31K miles for $33.8K. It's also CPO which adds a bit to the bottom line. Tax is not negotiable, registration and some of the other fees can be. One thing I'd suggest is to ask the dealer to throw in a few things to help recoup part of it. They might be more willing to do that than lower the price.

It's unfortunate you lost out on the first RX but there's more out there. Don't worry. Plus you have the advantage since there are several dealers in the area. Lots of competition. The 0.9% financing rate is also good until July 1st. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-01-13, 10:51 AM
sk52
Driver School Candidate

is 33.8k without tax and fees? or OTD quote?
because the car that was just sold was at $32990 without tax and fees.

Originally Posted by kitlz
Welcome to CL, sk52. I checked my dealer in NJ and found a '10 RX350 in white, nav, new tires, and 31K miles for $33.8K. It's also CPO which adds a bit to the bottom line. Tax is not negotiable, registration and some of the other fees can be. One thing I'd suggest is to ask the dealer to throw in a few things to help recoup part of it. They might be more willing to do that than lower the price.

It's unfortunate you lost out on the first RX but there's more out there. Don't worry. Plus you have the advantage since there are several dealers in the area. Lots of competition. The 0.9% financing rate is also good until July 1st. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-01-13, 11:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

That's the price without tax and fees. And I'm sure it's negotiable. I sent you a PM with more information.
Old 06-01-13, 02:10 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

kbb.com has Lexus CPO pricing for used cars ... you might check it to see what they feel is a fair price. White is a popular color, you should be able to find something nice.
Old 06-01-13, 04:42 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if it's a 2010 RX 350 made in 2010 then go for it.
however, if it's a 2010 RX 350 made in 2009 then consider something else.
Old 06-01-13, 07:12 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not lose my sleep over that RX-there are many more of them here in NYC, and in NJ, there will be another one -keep looking and you will find one. I had good experience w/ Edison Lexus when bought mine (new). I would avoid NYC dealers since the vehicle probably would be driven in the city mostly...
Why not look in buying from private party-Lexus is a relible vehicle, do you really need that CPO warranty?
Also, I'd look in used cars at MB, Audi, BMW dealers...

PS
just found this post here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-2010-cpo.html
For almost the same mone you can get 2011 RX w/ less miles

Last edited by m1964; 06-01-13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 10:47 AM
sk52
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually car shopping for my elderly 70 year old parents.
They've had a lot of car trouble the past few years with their used '01 x5 (got it 7 yrs ago) so I thought going with a CPO would give them peace of mind, but then again, they've driven that thing for a long time so it was bound to give them issues at it's age.

You raise the question for me, is CPO worth it on a purchase of a 2010 under 30k miles?
Is extended warranty better?
or is going without it and paying for my own service in the long run cheaper or more expensive? How much is service regularly on this vehicle? I'm sorry if these questions are really obvious to most but I personally don't even drive yet. All my knowledge thus far has been google based.
My parents aren't well off so every penny counts. They just wanted to invest in a quality vehicle that would last them a long time with minimal issues.
Aside from maintenance for the next 100,000 miles, I was under the impression only the best quality cars become CPO's and are thoroughly tested. With a non CPO, I wonder why they didn't certify them, and I feel would it be a requirement to bring to a mechanic before purchasing?

I didn't realize the 2011's were in the same price range as the 2010's. It might be because it may lack nav's but I'll be sure to look into them now as well.
I'd prefer my dad to have a nav for that large back up camera. He's gotten to a ripe age and a little more susceptible to little bumps than before. Still feeling my search is limited because they are hardcore on white as they've had a black car for the past 5 years and a silver one before that.

I went into another dealer yesterday, had a sticker price of 37k on a CPO 2010 awd with nav.
My parents go to church with the parents of a dealer who used to work there years ago.
I don't know if the name dropping helped my price but we got it down to 36 OTD.
I liked this dealer much better because they didn't add extra $1000 fee on top aside from the registration and tax from the get go like the other dealers. But it may be because their sticker prices are more inflated than the other local dealers because we landed at the same price at 36k as the first car we looked at.
This car is a lot cleaner though, better leather on the drivers seat and had only 2 small scratches vs the 10 on the first car, which also had many pebble dings. It also had new Michelin tires but lacked the rear sensors that he liked.
This is definitely the better car for the same quote but I still feel I can do better than 36k. I want to hold out but I don't know how much longer my parents can take without a car. But again, a $1,000-$2000 goes a long way. We're trying to do all cash. Or even if it was a 2011 with lower miles it would be more justified for me.

Just checked edison website, doesn't look like they have one in stock. a white awd with nav under 30k miles. But I'll keep checking back with them.
Aside from craigslist, where else could I search for private party? From what I've seen it looked to be high mileage older cars only from private parties.
I just started looking at 2011's, you are right, they are seemingly in the same price range. Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by m1964
I would not lose my sleep over that RX-there are many more of them here in NYC, and in NJ, there will be another one -keep looking and you will find one. I had good experience w/ Edison Lexus when bought mine (new). I would avoid NYC dealers since the vehicle probably would be driven in the city mostly...
Why not look in buying from private party-Lexus is a relible vehicle, do you really need that CPO warranty?
Also, I'd look in used cars at MB, Audi, BMW dealers...

PS
just found this post here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-2010-cpo.html
For almost the same mone you can get 2011 RX w/ less miles

Last edited by sk52; 06-02-13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-02-13, 10:53 AM
sk52
Driver School Candidate

how would I be able to find out which year it was made? requesting a spec sheet? I thought if it was a 2010 rx350, that it was made in 2010......

Originally Posted by markrivers
if it's a 2010 RX 350 made in 2010 then go for it.
however, if it's a 2010 RX 350 made in 2009 then consider something else.
Old 06-02-13, 10:58 AM
sk52
Driver School Candidate

KBB's quote seemed high at 36-38k.
and if white is a popular color, that is why it might be getting scooped up fast leaving me with slim pickings =/
I'm hopeful of more people bringing in their leases this week!

Originally Posted by UCSB
kbb.com has Lexus CPO pricing for used cars ... you might check it to see what they feel is a fair price. White is a popular color, you should be able to find something nice.
Old 06-02-13, 11:14 AM
sk52
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to say again I really appreciate the responses as it's the most help I've gotten in my car search journey. Sorry if my posts tend to run. I just wanted to address every point as I want to be as thorough as possible. My parents have lived humble lives and this is probably their largest purchase aside from buying a store.
Old 06-02-13, 02:13 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sk52
I just wanted to say again I really appreciate the responses as it's the most help I've gotten in my car search journey. Sorry if my posts tend to run. I just wanted to address every point as I want to be as thorough as possible. My parents have lived humble lives and this is probably their largest purchase aside from buying a store.
Why not look also at Toyota Venza-the same drive train, same road clearance, for about 33K you can get a new V6 AWD 2013 Venza w/ NAV -now probably is the best time to look for 2013 model year because they would be cheaper then 2014.

X5 was always a problematic vehicle, but your parents will miss its ride quality.
But if your parents will be using the new vehicle for short runs like to the store, hair dresser salon, etc. then Venza will do the job just fine.
Old 06-02-13, 02:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by sk52
how would I be able to find out which year it was made? requesting a spec sheet? I thought if it was a 2010 rx350, that it was made in 2010......
Other than the introduction of Enform (SOS button) in August 2009, there really isn't a difference in 2010s. The 3rd gen RX first came out in April 2009 so it only applies to 350s made during that four month window. You can ask the dealer for the build date but whether it has Enform can help you figure it out.

Possibly markrivers is referring to the basic warranty (4 years/50,000 miles). If the RX was built in 2009, it may expire soon. On the time portion, it is from day the RX was first delivered, not the build date. Buying CPO will extend that warranty another 3 years/up to 100,000 miles. And you're correct, Lexus dealers will only certify vehicles that are in above average condition, properly maintained and accident free. Additionally it will go through an extensive inspection to meet minimal requirements. I'm proud to say both of my previous 2 RXs were sold CPO.

If you buy a non-CPO RX, for example at a non-Lexus dealer or through a private party, you will still get the balance of the basic warranty. You can purchase an extended warranty up until basic expires. So you don't have to make that decision right away. You also don't have to buy it from a Lexus dealer. If you do a search, you'll come across many posts where members were able to get the Lexus extended warranty for a discount.

As far as maintenance, it's pretty simple. Mostly just oil changes once a year, tire rotation twice a year, and brakes and tires when needed. Oh and some inspections, changing filters and the key fob batteries - a few things you can do yourself. The major services are at 15,000 mile intervals. You can bring the RX to a Toyota dealer for these services to save money. But all warranty work has to be performed by Lexus.

I won't lie, I've had a few things break after the warranty. The repair cost just about equaled what I paid for the extended warranty I purchased. You can find a few threads about this topic so I won't say anything else. I'll just add you'll definitely find plenty of previous gen RXs on the road. That has to tell you something.

White and silver are probably the two most popular colors around here. So I'm sure you'll find exactly what you want.

Edit: One last thing, the differences between a '10 and '11 RX besides age, Lexus added the brake override system, a power outlet in the empty space below the shifter and took away Lexus on the tail gate. Those are the major things I can think of. There may be a few more.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-02-13 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 08:39 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just helped my mother-in-law purchase a 2010 ES CPO, so I can relate to your situation sk52. Don't get hung up on the "ones that got away"...dealers in the Tri-State area always seem to have a good inventory of RX's. For example, my dealer (Prestige in Ramsey, NJ) currently shows (19) 2010 or newer CPO RX's, 2 of them in Starfire Pearl.

One piece of (perhaps obvious) advice: Cars of similar mileage don't necessarily equate to similar condition. Also, most (if not all?) CPO cars should have new tires...but ask about the brakes and the amount remaining on the pads. I was able to negotiate new pads on the ES so my mother-in-law wouldn't have to worry about any wear-and-tear items for quite a while.

Good luck in your search!
Old 06-03-13, 01:06 PM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
I just helped my mother-in-law purchase a 2010 ES CPO, so I can relate to your situation sk52. Don't get hung up on the "ones that got away"...dealers in the Tri-State area always seem to have a good inventory of RX's. For example, my dealer (Prestige in Ramsey, NJ) currently shows (19) 2010 or newer CPO RX's, 2 of them in Starfire Pearl.
The one at Ramsey with 30k miles going for $31,999 (Stk #: 46901) with NAV has been sitting for awhile. I looked at it in April and I recall it had scratches everywhere. You maybe able to get them to fix it like I did with the one I purchased. Might be worth it to ask though mine were serious scratches that required a body shop to fix (which Prestige paid for). They're definitely looking to move this one quick so if you're interested, I'd offer $31K and try and settle around $31.5 or less. (It would be ~ $34k out the door)

SK52: I replied to your PM this morning. Sorry I didn't get to it until today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 rx350 cpo price! Deal or no deal? Advice please!