RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

To F-Sport or Not...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 08:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Question To F-Sport or Not...

I have an '07 RXh and '11 CT and love them both. I enjoy the RX's serene plushness on the longer trips, but enjoy my CT's sportier look and handling over the RX as a daily city commuter as it is more fun to drive.

So far, the reviews on the RX 350 F-Sport are somewhat negative regarding the comfort. They say the ride is noticeably firmer than the RX and in "harsh" territory. I would have preferred the comments firm/taut yet still comfortable, but haven't seen that yet unless it's part of Lexus marketing...

At one point, I owned an 09' Venza V6 with the 20 in wheels and journalists made similar complaints about harshness. I must say they were spot on and worst, not only did some of those imperfections transfer into the cabin, it resulted in some minor rattles, creaks, and steering looseness after a just few months of ownership. Got rid of it after a year for a used '07 RX which is to this day rattle/squeak free 99.9% of the time. Is this partly because of the softer suspension??

I love the F-Sport look and it would compliment my CT so well.I want to buy it but wouldn't want to experience a harsh ride and worse get squeaks and rattles soon after as a result. If the "harshness" or comfort is similar to my CT, it's not that bad and a good compromise between comfort and handling. If it's like the Venza V6, it's a deal breaker. Before committing to a test drive and the endless sales rep followup phone calls, has anyone driven the F-Sport, Venza, and CT to provide some real-world driving comparative feedback on the F-Sport? Thanks!
Old 10-31-12, 08:44 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove F-Sport last Sat at Pleasanton, CA. In fact, I feel the ride is not harsh. My wife and I both feel quite comfortable. We have been driving 2002 Acura TL-S since we bought it brand new in 2001. F-sport definitely feels more comfortable than TL-S. Maybe TL-S ride is always stiff anyway, not sure.

I too read few reviews about harsh ride. I think the best way is that you can test drive it and share your experience with us.

Cheers,

Will
Old 11-01-12, 12:55 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like the styling but want a plusher ride, you can get the F-Sport front end and wheels (I think, but not sure) on the normal RX. The options package is called something like the sport appearance package. That seems like your best bet.
Old 11-01-12, 05:37 PM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but learned at dealer today that you cannot order both the F Sport APPEARANCE Package and the Comfort Package together! Bummer! Snooty dealer as well!
Old 11-01-12, 09:01 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the F Sport appearance package, I guess it is only available for FWD and Hybrid model. I saw the FWD one with sport appearance package at Pleasanton Lexus. Only the lower portion has that zip-zip grid and upper portion stays with the regular RX look.
Old 11-02-12, 04:24 AM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

I learned from local dealer yesterday that you cannot get the F Sport Appearance Package and the Comfort Package (together) on the 350 FWD. Not sure about other models, but I'd guess it is the same for them.

Last edited by naplesam; 11-02-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 09:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by wilchan
I test drove F-Sport last Sat at Pleasanton, CA. In fact, I feel the ride is not harsh. My wife and I both feel quite comfortable. We have been driving 2002 Acura TL-S since we bought it brand new in 2001. F-sport definitely feels more comfortable than TL-S. Maybe TL-S ride is always stiff anyway, not sure.

I too read few reviews about harsh ride. I think the best way is that you can test drive it and share your experience with us.

Cheers,

Will
Thanks for the feedback. I've been in a TL of that gen, but not the S, and found it firm, but not harsh and an overall good compromise between comfort and handling.
Old 11-02-12, 10:06 PM
Drtdvl
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased the F-Sport and do not find the ride harsh, firm or rough. This is my first Lexus and I bought it for the relatively smooth and comfortable ride. My other vehicles are an M3 Sedan and my wife drives an X3. The F- Sport has a much plusher ride and i personally find the vehicle isolates you from the road.

The F- Sport compared to a regular RX 350 has a bit of edginess to the ride. If i say the regular RX is a rubber band, the F- Sport would be a rubber band that has been stretched out.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 11-03-12, 04:04 PM
Onic1967
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport

Just bought mine today. Great comfort and feel. Love the tight turning and handling and the manual pedal 8 speed shifting is magnificent. The styling as we all agree is sweet. Got the nebula gray which truly look great witht the gray wheels. You get a sports car and an SUV all rolled into one.....good luck in your decision.

JC
Old 11-03-12, 04:26 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just test drove rx f sport today it was nice I didn't find it harsh ride at all as automotive journalist have stated. I think it is a great overall pkg. I am going to test drive x3 35i m-sport pkg and see how different is going to be from the rx.
Old 11-04-12, 04:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Appreciate the feedback and sounds like the ride is a non-issue, in fact a positive.

Checked it out in the flesh (sans test drive) and love the exterior (front), but can't get over two major items:

1. The wheels are too dark. They look dirty no matter how shiny or dirty the tires/wheels are. Perhaps the nebula grey would work best as it closely matches, but not convinced... Stock silver or one shade lighter would have been great for me, like the previous gen graphite wheels available on several Lexus including my current RXh. I have the same gripe with the CT F-Sport wheels.

2. All black interior. In my opinion lessens the premium feel typical of the RX. The dark headliner, dark wood, minimal silver/chrome accents, and black plastic instead of wood in the rear armrest, makes the interior dark and less inviting than a standard RX. The black leather has a somewhat vinyl gloss and feel atypical of Lexus and I can do without the white perforations. Wish there was a red leather option like in the GS F-Sport or even the RX Saddle Tan or grey options.

I'm torn.
Old 11-04-12, 04:26 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Appreciate the feedback and sounds like the ride is a non-issue, in fact a positive.

Checked it out in the flesh (sans test drive) and love the exterior (front), but can't get over two major items:

1. The wheels are too dark. They look dirty no matter how shiny or dirty the tires/wheels are. Perhaps the nebula grey would work best as it closely matches, but not convinced... Stock silver or one shade lighter would have been great for me, like the previous gen graphite wheels available on several Lexus including my current RXh. I have the same gripe with the CT F-Sport wheels.

2. All black interior. In my opinion lessens the premium feel typical of the RX. The dark headliner, dark wood, minimal silver/chrome accents, and black plastic instead of wood in the rear armrest, makes the interior dark and less inviting than a standard RX. The black leather has a somewhat vinyl gloss and feel atypical of Lexus and I can do without the white perforations. Wish there was a red leather option like in the GS F-Sport or even the RX Saddle Tan or grey options.

I'm torn.
Wow; I agree; when I first heard about the '"F" sport i wished I had waited; but I hate black interiors and really dislike that black wood; hopefully they will add a few more colors next year as I think our thoughts are pretty common!!!
Old 11-05-12, 08:32 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the compelte black interior including the headliner very gloomy....but thats just me! It would be nice if Lexus Canada would take their heads out of the sand and allow Canadians to order the parking sensors and blind spot monitor (basic safety sense would say make them available) on an F-Sport as our US friends can--just stupid marketing here. Our F-Sports come with no options available - but the standard does include Mark Levinson sound system and a HUD along with roof rails deleted. It would also be nice to see the 8-speed transmission make it to the regular RX. Just my 2 cents.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 11-05-12, 09:43 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Go for the sport! The ride doesn't seem harsh to me and it is one of the best looking crossovers on the road. I love the front end and wheels. Would look great next to your Ct
Old 11-05-12, 09:50 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
I find the compelte black interior including the headliner very gloomy....but thats just me! It would be nice if Lexus Canada would take their heads out of the sand and allow Canadians to order the parking sensors and blind spot monitor (basic safety sense would say make them available) on an F-Sport as our US friends can--just stupid marketing here. Our F-Sports come with no options available - but the standard does include Mark Levinson sound system and a HUD along with roof rails deleted. It would also be nice to see the 8-speed transmission make it to the regular RX. Just my 2 cents.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
MY GUESS>>8 speed across the line; more colors in F-Sport(maybe 20's) and no paddle shifters(it isn't a Sports car) in 2014............

Quick Reply: To F-Sport or Not...