RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

CPO Purchase - actual and CPO tire wear not matching?? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 11:35 AM
hybridlexy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Purchase - actual and CPO tire wear not matching?? Help!

Hi All,

I signed to purchase a 2010 Lexus RX450h CPO last Friday, and will be taking care of the paperwork on Wednesday.

In preparation for the purchase, I went through the CPO paperwork my dealer provided, and noticed it says the tires are at 70%...fair enough.

I inquired via email to my salesperson today about te 70%, and whether that was on the low side for a CPO - and perhaps, just perhaps, some new tires can be swapped as a goodwill.

They came back with a confirmation from service that the car's tires are at 50%, and that they FULLY meet certification guidelines?!? Ok, whether 50% meets the CPO requirements or not is one thing (does it??)...but can they really expect a customer to be told 70% , but in actuality, be 50%?

With that information, I asked if they can at least swap the tires from a different RX to match the 70% as advertised...and they said no in response.

They said if that's a dealbreaker, they'll release the car back into inventory...am I REALLY expected to purchase a car, NOT FULLY AS ADVERTISED???

Hmmm...
Old 10-29-12, 11:50 AM
hybridlexy
Rookie

And if someone was to suggest that I at least get Lexus HQ's feedback, would you recommend that I start the inquiry now, or after I take possession (I only have a deposit on it right now).

Whether I got a "good deal" or not on the car should be a non-factor. "Well, you got a good deal on it, we took in your trade, etc etc" just doesn't sound relevant.

My main concern is not whether the tires fall within certification guidelines, it's the fact that it's written at 70% left when in reality, they just confirmed it's 50%...
Old 10-29-12, 01:01 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

back away from that deal if they want to play hardball, who cares. there are plenty of cars to buy
Old 10-29-12, 01:56 PM
hybridlexy
Rookie

well, i'm really settled on this one - i've been looking for a while, and this one checks the boxes with CPO, mileage, condition, etc etc...

how can any one trust these CPO documents, or anything else Lexus tells us when they won't even own up to information they provide that's ON PAPER. who knows how many others have been dooped with inaccurate CPO numbers...just a shame, really.

the car purchasing process is never fun - this had been relatively smooth until now. The sales manager suggested that tire measurements can be taken anywhere on the tire, really, and that the 50% could have come from the side wall. Sure, that's possible.

But REALLY?? You will let your techs take tire measurements at the edge to reflect a high tread wear number when you're trying to SELL a car?? You would pick the deepest spot possible dead center of the tire to get the maximum reading...

Providing false/incorrect information for CPO was definitely unexpected. -shakes head-
Old 10-29-12, 02:57 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

It is, just treat CPO cars like any other used cars except it has a longer warranty, that's basically what it is. Lexus will CPO any cars as long as the dealer pays for it, it really means nothing. I drove 6 different RX before I bought my current one, the second RXh i drove was slow and noisey, yet it was sold as a CPO car. CPO means nothing. I can basically buy the same warranty for $1500 on the phone.
Old 10-30-12, 04:58 AM
hybridlexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by cossie1600
It is, just treat CPO cars like any other used cars except it has a longer warranty, that's basically what it is. Lexus will CPO any cars as long as the dealer pays for it, it really means nothing. I drove 6 different RX before I bought my current one, the second RXh i drove was slow and noisey, yet it was sold as a CPO car. CPO means nothing. I can basically buy the same warranty for $1500 on the phone.
Cossie - I guess I'm just an optimist, where I hope either the dealership, or corporate, will do the right thing.

I know car dealers are mostly shady, and rarely a fun time to work with...it just doesn't sit well where the information they provided has been confirmed to be incorrect, and they simply say, "well, don't buy it then". They know they can lie to some other unsuspecting buyer...
Old 10-30-12, 07:01 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a shame your dealer isn't better. I just recently bought a CPO 2010 RX350 with 3,400 miles on it. It is in perfect condition. In my negotiation with the dealer, I got them to change out the stock wheels with chrome ones. They ordered the chrome wheels, but one of them had a slight blemish. So they ordered another new one. They wanted to make sure they were perfect. Now that's service! Not all dealers are bad. Some are truly excellent customer service organzations. If you really like the vehicle, buy it. I know it's the principle, and your dealer is not taking the long view, but it's only 20% difference in tire wear. Enjoy the car.
Old 10-30-12, 07:01 AM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridlexy
well, i'm really settled on this one - i've been looking for a while, and this one checks the boxes with CPO, mileage, condition, etc etc...

how can any one trust these CPO documents, or anything else Lexus tells us when they won't even own up to information they provide that's ON PAPER. who knows how many others have been dooped with inaccurate CPO numbers...just a shame, really. ...-
Now you have to add $1000.00 to the price of this CPO RX, because you will need new tires before winter (unless it does not snow where you live).
If the price is still good buy it, if after adding $1000 price is not so good, back off.

I bet you will find more "deals"...CPO or not.
Old 10-30-12, 07:31 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Cossie - I guess I'm just an optimist, where I hope either the dealership, or corporate, will do the right thing.

I know car dealers are mostly shady, and rarely a fun time to work with...it just doesn't sit well where the information they provided has been confirmed to be incorrect, and they simply say, "well, don't buy it then". They know they can lie to some other unsuspecting buyer...
Let them sit on the car for a month, but I guess you are committed to it. You can always do the nuclear option and trash them in the survey as it is very important to them. The RXh I referenced in my previous post is still sitting at the dealership, it's been there for four months now. Remember used cars come out of a dealer's line of credit. They usually have to pay interest on it after either 30 or 60 days. That's why you see them wanting to move it after that by lowering their price aggressively.

When I bought my RXh, we agreed on a price and they agreed on fixing the broken glovebox and a small tear on the leather for me, they did neither at the time of pickup. I basically told them I am not picking up the vehicle today unless you take $500 off. Sure enough, the guys at the dealership maned up and got it done. I ended up getting my glovebox replaced for free at Lexus
Old 10-30-12, 07:53 AM
hybridlexy
Rookie

MDames, you're right, in the end...it's 20%. But I'll still bring this up with Lexus HQ and see if corporate will do anything for me since the dealership will not. Great find on your 2010 CPO! When did you buy this, with only 3400 miles?!?

Cossie - I hear ya - when the survey comes around, I will answer it honestly and put in full details. It's the end of the month, and my pickup is scheduled for the 31st. Imagine if I don't pick it up and they miss their quota/bonus by my one car!
Old 10-30-12, 08:46 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do the deal until they change the tires. They realize that you really like the car and will take it as is. Play hardball with them. If they think you're not going to take the car, they'll change the tires.
Old 10-30-12, 09:51 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

MDames, you're right, in the end...it's 20%. But I'll still bring this up with Lexus HQ and see if corporate will do anything for me since the dealership will not. Great find on your 2010 CPO! When did you buy this, with only 3400 miles?!?

Cossie - I hear ya - when the survey comes around, I will answer it honestly and put in full details. It's the end of the month, and my pickup is scheduled for the 31st. Imagine if I don't pick it up and they miss their quota/bonus by my one car!
Just do your due dilegence when you make the pickup. I care more about money than the details, so make sure you get everything that you want for the price you paid. THey are also going to try to sell you a bunch of aftermarket stuff, just say no to everything.

As much as i like the dealer I bought my car from, they promised me a bottle of touch up paint and a remote glove, of course I got neither...
Old 10-30-12, 10:27 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=hybridlexy;7572637]MDames, you're right, in the end...it's 20%. But I'll still bring this up with Lexus HQ and see if corporate will do anything for me since the dealership will not. Great find on your 2010 CPO! When did you buy this, with only 3400 miles?!?

I purchased it on 10/20/12. It wasn't my first choice of color but when I saw the miles and the corresponding condition, I couldn't pass it up. It still has the new car smell! It's as if no one has ever sat in it. It was leased for 3 years by an elderly woman in Santa Barbara. She only used the vehicle on Saturdays to do some shopping. Other than that, it sat in the garage. I came from a 2007 ES350. I can't believe how smooth the RX runs. I truly enjoy this car. You'll like yours I'm sure.
Old 10-30-12, 08:52 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I test drove over 15 before settling on mine. The Lexus dealers would not negotiate on any of there CPOs so we just left after like 8 test drives and 3 attempts. I found mine at another used car lot and it's in better condition then any of there CPOs I had seen plus mine has more options too. I say drop the deal and look elsewhere. CPO is all bull*****. If u really want a warranty then just buy it later.
Old 10-30-12, 09:35 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Yeah I bought my 2011 with 37K miles on it, I figure to get it before I hit 50K and I am all set

Quick Reply: CPO Purchase - actual and CPO tire wear not matching?? Help!