RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A brand new 2013 RX350: Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 10:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by wilchan
I don't own any Lexus RX, but soon (if tomorrow's deal goes well.)

I owned 2 American built Honda/Acura. 98 Accord and 02 TL. Both squeaked/rattled when brand new, from the door panel or from the dash, etc etc. For some reason, both cars had no squeaking/rattling after like 30-40K miles.. I guess dust/dirt buildup helped to insulate them?

My just-sold 08 Japanese built TSX has very minor rattle on driver side door and steering column throughout my 5 yrs of ownership. I didn't bother to get dealer to correct them as I don't want them to take interior panels apart.

Ya I do agree getting squeak/rattle fixed is pain in the ***.

Hopefully I will have better luck on my next car.. I have never owned Toyota/Lexus before. Wish me luck.
I've owned 17 cars over the last several years and unfortunately cars today squeak more than they used to. Blame quieter engines and improved NVH, increased number of plastic parts and components in the interior, and different more environmentally friendly plastics that expand and contract more easily with changes in temperature. Squeaks drive me nuts but at least Lexus fixes them under warranty. They put felt in between the parts that rub to virtually eliminate the problem. I've owned Acuras, Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas, and even Subaru and Lexus is among the better brands for lack of squeaks and rattles, though my 08 IS was not great around the center stack. It was built in Japan. The two Gen 2 RXs I had were very solid with only the exceptional squeak or minor rattle on a hard bump coming from the rear seats and trunk hatch area. Both also built in Japan. I hope my Gen 3 will be just as solid when I get it next week. My Lexus CT (made in Japan) also had some minor squeaks from the center stack and passenger seat, mostly resolved by Lexus.

I was in a 12 Camry as a loaner and the center stack was a squeak nightmare. Touching the controls or the trim produced the creaking so easily. Worst late model vehicle I also had for a few days was a 13 Escape. The center stack rattled and creaked on normal road conditions. Very cheap plastic. MB, BMW, etc all have a tonne of posts on squeaks and rattles. It's the reality of the new automobile but at least Lexus is among the best and if you experience it, they will gladly fix it so long as you can reproduce it.
Old 11-11-12, 05:52 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Gymniac, you said #3 issue is rattle coming from driver's side roofline area. Do you mind describing more on what the issue was?
Old 11-12-12, 06:10 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilchan
Hello Gymniac, you said #3 issue is rattle coming from driver's side roofline area. Do you mind describing more on what the issue was?
It can be described as a slight 'creak' or 'squeak' that is very short in duration but very annoying because it's right at your ear level. It is not a 'rattle.' It's more like some sort of plastic parts in contact moving relative to each other creating the noise, which usually happens when the car goes over irregularities on the road.

I think a Lexus tech told me it's "rather involved" inside the headliners tight-wound wires running in there or something like that.