RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Go for RX350 or Fully loaded "mainstream" car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-12, 02:17 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go for RX350 or Fully loaded "mainstream" car?

I'm in a situation where I'm going to have to buy a new car within the next few weeks, and I'm debating whether to treat myself and go luxury with this purchase. I've test driven some luxury SUV's (Lexus RX350, Audi Q5, Infiniti EX35 and BMW X3) and have to say, I really liked the RX 350. At first friends tried to discourage me, by saying "everybody has one of those RX's" and told me I should look at something else, but after my initial test drives, I think I like that one best.

I'm interested crossover/suv types for the space - I'm single, mid-30s with no kids or anything. I'm just trying to see if I really want to plop down a $700-900/month payment for the car, or if it would be better to get a fully loaded "mainstream" car and save the extra money.

For me, having a luxury car is not about status or showing off (could care less what other people think), it's just because I like the features, the smooth ride, the technology and the great customer service. I also intend to keep the car for a long time, so I'm also thinking it would have better reliability, based on reports I've read. I realize, however, that i also need to think about long-term maintenance, higher car note and insurance payments, etc.in addition to the high car note.

What are your thoughts? Obviously most of you on the forum are RX owners, what made you decide on luxury vs mainstream? Just trying to gain some perspective.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-12-12, 03:46 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

SUV's and especially luxury SUV's tend not to be the best values unless you need the capacity. Since that does not seem to be the case for you, I would recommend against an RX 350 purchase. SUV's compromise the luxury and performance aspects of the vehicle to delivery a little more utility. Performance, handling, ride quality and almost every aspect of the vehicle will be compromised over a car that will cost much less. In addition, fuel economy suffers. Total cost of ownership is going to just be higher.

In terms of mainstream vs luxury, here is my take: it depends on your planned usage. For example, my daughter got rid of her Lexus ES and went with a Prius because she wanted to constantly use the car and not worry about it. She wanted her car to be more like an appliance that supported her on the go lifestyle. I have a Subaru Outback that I use for fun adventures and an RX 450h for more luxury use. It turns out that the Outback is getting about 2.5x the use of the 450h because my retirement lifestyle is more biased toward it's strengths. If I was still working, the ratio would be reversed. You need to think carefully about how you want the car to support your lifestyle.

Last edited by UCSB; 10-12-12 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-12-12, 08:29 PM
marcarl
Driver School Candidate

My first advice now son, and for the rest of your life, is don't buy anything until you can pay cash. Do you realize what it really costs to buy a car, vacation or anything else on credit. Just keep your current car and put a car payment away every month until you have the cash.
Next, have had an MDX, great car, and a BMW X3. Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h are wonderful cars.
Old 10-12-12, 08:55 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting advice from people--I think you should buy a car you love. Assuming $ wasn't a problem the RX is great, extremely reliable, more rugged than a sedan and very safe. Although bigger than a small car, it is shorter than many sedans. I first liked the RX in '98. The car has evolved but I too don't own it for its luxury but its quality and convenience.
Old 10-13-12, 09:09 AM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by marcarl
My first advice now son, and for the rest of your life, is don't buy anything until you can pay cash. Do you realize what it really costs to buy a car, vacation or anything else on credit. Just keep your current car and put a car payment away every month until you have the cash.
Next, have had an MDX, great car, and a BMW X3. Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h are wonderful cars.
Thanks for the advice, marcarl, but that is easier said than done. My car actually stopped working, and it costs more to fix it than it's worth so I have to buy a new car. As opposed to just buying a car that "will do" temporarily, I'm thinking of going ahead and getting something quality, reliable and that will last a long time, while also having some of the luxury I would like as well.

p.s. I'm a female.
Old 10-13-12, 11:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Rxhopeful, welcome to CL. Female here too. Maybe our screen names should be pink to avoid confusion I've been in the RX since it came out and haven't left. It definitely has what you're looking for as far as quality and reliability. Very few problems over the years, all taken care of under warranty. The payout has been up front, at least for me. In the end they do retain their value much better than most other vehicles. A dear friend told me after I bought my first RX, with quality you only cry once. Couldn't be a truer statement.

Now I haven't kept any of my RXs for over 6 years or put more than 50K on them to give an opinion on the long term. But if you check the other RX forums here and on the roads, you'll see there are plenty of 300s and 330s still going strong. One of our female CL members picked up her RX330 with 220K miles. You can read her story here. Like her it was the luxury part of the RX that made me choose it over the Forerunner years ago. Price wise they were similar but that's where it ended. I felt spoiled rotten when I took the 300 for a test drive. And don't forget, Lexus invented the LUV market when it came out with the RX.

Like you, I certainly don't need the space - no kids, at least not the human kind - and it can be somewhat intimidating in the beginning. I can't picture myself driving anything else though. There is a rumor of a smaller RX along the lines of the RAV4 coming out in the future. That would probably be a better size for me. Probably for you too. In the meantime though, I'm sticking with the RX.

Best of luck with your decision. Feel free to ask us questions and opinions. We're here to help.
Old 10-13-12, 10:47 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree with everything Anita has said about the RX. I'm on my second RX also, and I just really enjoy the features that this vehicle has on it, and I also feel kind of spoiled too, when driving my RX, 'cause it is very luxurious. I also had to get adjusted to the larger size of the 2010 RX vs. my 2007 RX. I'm not sure if you're looking to buy new only vs. maybe a low mileage used vehicle, but the second gen RX, preferably the 2007 to 2009 models were very nice vehicles. I actually still probably prefer the size of the second gen to the third gen, since I also am the only one driving the vehicle, and have four-legged furry kids. So that might be a suggestion to check into if you might be considering a pre-owned vehicle.
Old 10-14-12, 08:14 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I'm not a fan of the second generation RXs. I've owned 1st, 2nd (hybrid which had more bells and whistles than most 2nds) and now the RX350. Actually bought the 2010 because when I drove the loaner I loved the improvements. My only gripe is that the 2nd generation driving seems a little tighter.
Old 10-14-12, 02:35 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Rxhopeful, welcome to CL. Female here too. Maybe our screen names should be pink to avoid confusion I've been in the RX since it came out and haven't left. It definitely has what you're looking for as far as quality and reliability. Very few problems over the years, all taken care of under warranty. The payout has been up front, at least for me. In the end they do retain their value much better than most other vehicles. A dear friend told me after I bought my first RX, with quality you only cry once. Couldn't be a truer statement.

Now I haven't kept any of my RXs for over 6 years or put more than 50K on them to give an opinion on the long term. But if you check the other RX forums here and on the roads, you'll see there are plenty of 300s and 330s still going strong. One of our female CL members picked up her RX330 with 220K miles. You can read her story here. Like her it was the luxury part of the RX that made me choose it over the Forerunner years ago. Price wise they were similar but that's where it ended. I felt spoiled rotten when I took the 300 for a test drive. And don't forget, Lexus invented the LUV market when it came out with the RX.

Like you, I certainly don't need the space - no kids, at least not the human kind - and it can be somewhat intimidating in the beginning. I can't picture myself driving anything else though. There is a rumor of a smaller RX along the lines of the RAV4 coming out in the future. That would probably be a better size for me. Probably for you too. In the meantime though, I'm sticking with the RX.

Best of luck with your decision. Feel free to ask us questions and opinions. We're here to help.
Hi, Anita,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the site! Also, thanks for your perspective. Nice to hear that you seem to be very happy with your RX's over the years. I've been looking at the RX compared to the Audi Q5, which I test drove the other day, and is nice as well. I like that the '13 uses regular gas, and, to your point, they do seem to retain value very well over time. At first I was a little skeptical because of the "everybody and their mom has an RX" factor, but, in the end, I want my money to be spent in a good way. Hey, if everyone has an RX, it could mean that it's such a great car that alot of people buy it....lol Did you by chance lease your RX or buy it? Just wondered, as that is something I'm thinking about too, whether I plan to lease or buy. Did you buy the extended warranty?

The other car that has been on my list that I actually test drove the other day is the Audi Q5, so I'm comparing the RX to that as well. If anyone has any benefits to the RX over the Q5, that would be great as well!
Old 10-14-12, 02:38 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I have to agree with everything Anita has said about the RX. I'm on my second RX also, and I just really enjoy the features that this vehicle has on it, and I also feel kind of spoiled too, when driving my RX, 'cause it is very luxurious. I also had to get adjusted to the larger size of the 2010 RX vs. my 2007 RX. I'm not sure if you're looking to buy new only vs. maybe a low mileage used vehicle, but the second gen RX, preferably the 2007 to 2009 models were very nice vehicles. I actually still probably prefer the size of the second gen to the third gen, since I also am the only one driving the vehicle, and have four-legged furry kids. So that might be a suggestion to check into if you might be considering a pre-owned vehicle.
I thought about getting a preowned, low mileage car, but I would really prefer to buy a new car, especially if I go with the RX. Personally, although it's pretty much the same, I like the design of the '13 model better than the previous couple of years.
Old 10-14-12, 02:51 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that you live in Texas so if you do decide to buy a new RX, try Sewell Lexus of Dallas. I live in Tennessee and found the best deal in Dallas. And also wait until the last couple of days in the month to get your best deal. Good luck.
Old 10-14-12, 03:16 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by mac12
I see that you live in Texas so if you do decide to buy a new RX, try Sewell Lexus of Dallas. I live in Tennessee and found the best deal in Dallas. And also wait until the last couple of days in the month to get your best deal. Good luck.
Ha ha! I just replied to one of your messages on the "discounts" thread. Yep, I'm in Dallas actually and went to Sewell for my initial test drive of the RX. Need to go back and test drive again. Sewell has an awesome reputation here in Dallas, so I know that if I go with the RX I will likely buy from them.
Old 10-14-12, 03:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
At first I was a little skeptical because of the "everybody and their mom has an RX" factor, but, in the end, I want my money to be spent in a good way. Hey, if everyone has an RX, it could mean that it's such a great car that alot of people buy it....lol Did you by chance lease your RX or buy it? Just wondered, as that is something I'm thinking about too, whether I plan to lease or buy. Did you buy the extended warranty?

The other car that has been on my list that I actually test drove the other day is the Audi Q5, so I'm comparing the RX to that as well. If anyone has any benefits to the RX over the Q5, that would be great as well!
If anyone tells you the RX is for soccer moms, tell them you're not a mom and you don't play soccer, LOL! As far as the rest, they caught on to what some of us have known for years. No big surprise there.

I purchased my RXs since I wasn't sure how long I'd keep them. And I went with extended warranties, not because of frequent repairs but the cost of a repair or two. They paid for themselves in the past. But you can wait until right before the basic warranty expires to purchase it, not necessarily from the dealer. We have a few threads about where to buy it at a discount.

Personally I haven't driven the Q5 to give any meaningful comparison so I'll defer to former owners here. I think we have one or two. I know it's smaller than the RX, especially in the cargo area. Usually people are looking at BMW or Acura. Heck, drive them all so you can get a good sense of what's out there.
Old 10-14-12, 04:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
Hi, Anita,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the site! Also, thanks for your perspective. Nice to hear that you seem to be very happy with your RX's over the years. I've been looking at the RX compared to the Audi Q5, which I test drove the other day, and is nice as well. I like that the '13 uses regular gas, and, to your point, they do seem to retain value very well over time. At first I was a little skeptical because of the "everybody and their mom has an RX" factor, but, in the end, I want my money to be spent in a good way. Hey, if everyone has an RX, it could mean that it's such a great car that alot of people buy it....lol Did you by chance lease your RX or buy it? Just wondered, as that is something I'm thinking about too, whether I plan to lease or buy. Did you buy the extended warranty?

The RX will be a lot more reliable than the Q5. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, the RX is the way to go. Lexus ranked number 1 in the Vehicle Dependability Survey by J.D. Power. Audi ranked a few spots below industry average. They also ranked the RX350 best midsize premium crossover.
Old 10-15-12, 10:52 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Get the RX350. You'll love it. I'm 22 male and drive this and it's my first luxury SUV. Really wanted a BMW X5 cuz it's very masculine looking. With the RX at first I was like I only see females driving this but as I looked around on the highways I noticed some males drive it too. In my area there are so many it's like they come free with a house purchase. Just yesterday on my way home there were 3 RX's behind me and two going down on the opposite side of the road. They are everywhere here in Sugar Land TX! Pull up to an intersection you'll most likely see one if not two waiting there.

Quick Reply: Go for RX350 or Fully loaded "mainstream" car?