RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help fixing rattles on front and passenger side door

Old 05-08-13, 06:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Doney01, thanks for the post and pics. I have this faint ticking or creaking sound around the B-pillar that happens on occasion usually over uneven roads. It could be from around the driver's door latch or even the edge along the rear passenger's door. Hard to tell.

I implemented the tape fix around the window trim to no avail a while back. I've now implemented your door stopper fix over the weekend and hoping that's it since this noise is driving me nuts. Will provide an update in a few days see if it worked. Thanks either way!
Old 05-12-13, 07:22 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BINGO !
Removed the bumper, applied a tiny dab of Vaseline to both sides of it & re-installed.
Rubber bumper created a small squeek against the steel B pillar. Hollow door acting like a big drum, amplified the noise.
Car is now very quiet again on any road surface.

This all started for me when I cleaned the car off, including the door pillars. Used a mild rubbing compound & took off any wax/oil residue from the bumper.

Previously I greased/oiled every weather-strip on all the doors with no luck. Didn't even see this bumper.

Glad you were able to find it before I went foolish looking for it !
Old 05-16-13, 07:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Well, I believe it worked! It's been over a week and not a creak. Thank you Doney01 As a precaution I may do it to the passenger door.
Old 06-18-13, 10:37 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just wanted to bump this and see if anyone has anymore ideas for a fix with the creaking noise in drivers door/window
Old 06-18-13, 02:46 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm tired of fixing my rattles and squeaks, especially the one sitting next to me, but just keep trying its not THAT bad.
Old 10-18-13, 08:02 PM
mylexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had problems with my passenger door rattling and creaking in a 2013 rx350. The local dealership got rid of the rattling in the door but not the creak. I drove a loaner 2013 that also had a creaking noise from the passenger door. After reading this thread, I removed the black rubber bumper (upper one under latch) and placed a rubber approx. 1/4" thick washer behind it and then screwed it back in. I then placed Vaseline on the bumper and the rubber piece on the pillar that it hits when closing. I have not had a creaking noise since. This has been about 4 weeks. Before I had a constant creak on rough roads and in cold conditions. If the noise returns, I will also do the lower rubber bumper that is located below this one on the door. Since I noticed and others noticed that pushing or pulling on the door stopped the noise, I thought that adding the washer would tighten the bumper against the pillar rubber piece. It has worked so far. Thankfully! The creaking was driving me nuts! Thanks to those that discovered the rubber bumper as an issue!
Old 12-12-13, 11:02 AM
billr05
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattling Noise in RX350 Passenger door

My 2013 RX350 passenger door began rattling last winter. Not enough to bother with though. It goes away in the warmth. This winter it is really awful. Can't seem to narrow down the exact location but if pressure is applied to the door it seems to go away. I hate to take the door apart. Its NEW! Very annoying.
Old 12-12-13, 12:26 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Is there a fix for the noisy rattling rear cargo cover? I guess I could just remove it, I do like to cover the cargo especially now with Holiday gift buying.
If this was already posted sorry I didn't notice it.
Old 12-12-13, 12:36 PM
nmnunna32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
BINGO !
Removed the bumper, applied a tiny dab of Vaseline to both sides of it & re-installed.
Rubber bumper created a small squeek against the steel B pillar. Hollow door acting like a big drum, amplified the noise.
Car is now very quiet again on any road surface.

This all started for me when I cleaned the car off, including the door pillars. Used a mild rubbing compound & took off any wax/oil residue from the bumper.

Previously I greased/oiled every weather-strip on all the doors with no luck. Didn't even see this bumper.

Glad you were able to find it before I went foolish looking for it !
Where exactly these bumpers are located and how to remove them? Can they be popped out with a flat head screw driver? Please help. Thanks.
Old 12-16-13, 09:31 AM
mylexi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nmnunna32
Where exactly these bumpers are located and how to remove them? Can they be popped out with a flat head screw driver? Please help. Thanks.
The rubber bumpers are located on the door. One is located in the plastic door panel below the latch and the other is located at the very bottom of the door in the metal. They protrude about 3/4 of an inch, black and round with a screw holding them on. Just remove with a Phillips head screw driver and either used Vaseline to lubricate them or do as I did and also place a rubber gasket about 1/4 inch thick behind it before replacing it. I only did the top bumper. I used the washer and Vaseline in Oct. and I have never heard anything again. I live in Ohio and it has been frigid so far this winter and no noise! If you look further back in this thread, there are pictures of the bumpers.
Old 12-18-13, 11:33 AM
nmnunna32
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!
Old 05-24-17, 11:53 AM
Denzo
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

hi rx owners.
I changed from 2008 ls600h to the 2013 F-Sport rx450
Everything great, but. ... It feels like in a toyota rav 4, Quite a lot of plastic and many noises.
I am looking for 5 weeks for smacking and creaking noises left, right and rear doors! .. I hate plastic noises in a 100-thousand USD car, same Problems with my old RX400H! ..nothing changed, and..i cannot beleave that there are same rear seats (loos ratteling, not fixed rear seats)..

I could now find out the main problem,are the door seals..rubbers.
Much silicone spay on and in! the rubber seals helps eliminate the noise for a while.
Old 05-24-17, 12:30 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Denzo
hi rx owners.
I changed from 2008 ls600h to the 2013 F-Sport rx450
Everything great, but. ... It feels like in a toyota rav 4, Quite a lot of plastic and many noises.
I am looking for 5 weeks for smacking and creaking noises left, right and rear doors! .. I hate plastic noises in a 100-thousand USD car, same Problems with my old RX400H! ..nothing changed, and..i cannot beleave that there are same rear seats (loos ratteling, not fixed rear seats)..

I could now find out the main problem,are the door seals..rubbers.
Much silicone spay on and in! the rubber seals helps eliminate the noise for a while.
First thing is to find the source of the noise.
Have some one ride with you and ask them to gently touch the suspected vibration source. Then you can examine what is vibrating and why. I have not opened the door panels, but typically Lexus does a good job of making sure nothing is loose inside to rattle. If some one has opened them, you may like to recheck.

Have you crawled under the vehicle? It has many empty lining/boxes. I had to beat each of them to shake pebbles out of them through the drain holes. I was almost tempted to take each of the box out and clean them from inside.

Let us know what you find out.

Salim
Old 06-02-17, 11:56 AM
Denzo
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have disassembled everything a week ago, all the rubber around the doors and the main frame on the vehicle, The safety belts adjustment mechanism...
-dismount the rubber hose, sprinkle with silicone into the small holes in the rubber hose, and spray it all around, Massage well

I can now say with my vehicle (RX450h F-Sport 2013) that was the solution for "my main noises"

..I had no more patience for the hedge noises.. Later I will also look at it..Remove all rubberseals, spray and grease