RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Mold, mildew smell coming from air conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 05:30 AM
virginiagr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mold, mildew smell coming from air conditioner

RX 350 2010
Just after 30 K service this car developed a moldy, mildew smell. When I called the service deptartment, I was told by a lady that it had a mouse in it, which I knew it did not. Since I live 160 miles from the Lexus dealer, the lady told me to take it to the Toyota dealer in my home town to have it checked out and they would honor the warranty.. There I was told by the Toyota service manager to put it on outside air to clean it. Problem with that is every time you turn on the air, you have to change it to outside air. I did that for over a month, but no change. Since then the outside temperature guage is not working correctly... It has read 70 degrees when it was 94. So I called the Lexus service department again. I am not using the air conditioner because I can't stand the smell. This time I was told to bring it in to Lexus

My concern is that I am highly allergic to mold/mildew and I have recieved allergy injections for 20 years twice a month for mold/mildew allergies.
I am concerned that "deodorizing the air system" will not kill the problem and to me is a huge problem..

This is my 3rd Lexus and the only one that developed this problem, although the last two nagivation systems have been useless in our area.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by virginiagr; 09-29-12 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-29-12, 01:03 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by virginiagr
RX 350 2010
Just after 30 K service this car developed a moldy, mildew smell. When I called the service deptartment, I was told by a lady that it had a mouse in it, which I knew it did not. Since I live 160 miles from the Lexus dealer, the lady told me to take it to the Toyota dealer in my home town to have it checked out and they would honor the warranty.. There I was told by the Toyota service manager to put it on outside air to clean it. Problem with that is every time you turn on the air, you have to change it to outside air. I did that for over a month, but no change. Since then the outside temperature guage is not working correctly... It has read 70 degrees when it was 94. So I called the Lexus service department again. I am not using the air conditioner because I can't stand the smell. This time I was told to bring it in to Lexus

My concern is that I am highly allergic to mold/mildew and I have recieved allergy injections for 20 years twice a month for mold/mildew allergies.
I am concerned that "deodorizing the air system" will not kill the problem and to me is a huge problem..

This is my 3rd Lexus and the only one that developed this problem, although the last two nagivation systems have been useless in our area.

Thanks.
You can check the cabin filter and the area under the cowl in front of firewall for any mold/mildew;
but you need to take it to the dealer anyway because the temp. sensor not working properly, so have the dealer open up the system ducts and clean it (not just spray in some deodorant that will mask the mildew smell.
I'd stress that you need to drive 320 miles the get RX serviced-may need to call Lexus CC to make sure it is done properly 1st time...
Old 09-29-12, 03:16 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Virginia, welcome to the forum, glad you're here. You're probably going to have to get back to Lexus on this one, if for nothing more than warranty on the temp sensor. Toyota can do service for you but not warranty work unless previously authorized. I'd also contact your insurance company to see if they will be able to help, removing rodent's and smell is not part of any car's warranty. But if you think it gained entry at the dealership then for sure talk to them about it. Many Lexus dealers go beyond the normal to satisfy customers.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.
RX 350 2010

Thanks.
Old 09-29-12, 04:49 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wasn't there a recall/corrective action notice on the is AC problem by Lexus within the last year? I'm just working from memory, but you might want to carefully search these threads or go to web sites that track these kinds of service announcements.
Old 09-29-12, 09:07 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TSB for AC odor was if there was an odor within the first few seconds of it being on only, and if there's no odor when the AC is off.
Old 09-30-12, 08:30 AM
virginiagr
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I have an appointment for Thursday... I will follow through. Appreciate your help.
virginia
Old 09-30-12, 08:33 AM
virginiagr
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I will check this out. At the 30,000 mile service, they did replace the air conditioning filter and the gas pedal. My 2007 Lexus was one that sped away at over 100 miles an hour as I was entering a freeway right after I first got it. I put it into neutral, but it still took nearly 2 miles to stop the car. IMMEDIATELY from the car I called Lexus and the National Safety Commission
Old 09-30-12, 08:19 PM
virginiagr
Driver School Candidate

I wasn't able to find anything on line about a recall for the musty, mildew smell. But thank you for your suggestion. The smell occurs when the air conditioning is on.. It's been in the 90's and higher for quite a while here although it's not humid at all. There is no odor when the air conditioning is off.
Old 10-01-12, 04:21 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When you take it in, ask the dealer to check the drain tube, it might be blocked. The A/C will always get some condensation out of the air, even in dry climates.
I wasn't able to find anything on line about a recall for the musty, mildew smell. But thank you for your suggestion. The smell occurs when the air conditioning is on.. It's been in the 90's and higher for quite a while here although it's not humid at all. There is no odor when the air conditioning is off.
Old 10-02-12, 09:35 AM
virginiagr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Virginia, welcome to the forum, glad you're here. You're probably going to have to get back to Lexus on this one, if for nothing more than warranty on the temp sensor. Toyota can do service for you but not warranty work unless previously authorized. I'd also contact your insurance company to see if they will be able to help, removing rodent's and smell is not part of any car's warranty. But if you think it gained entry at the dealership then for sure talk to them about it. Many Lexus dealers go beyond the normal to satisfy customers.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.
Thank you for the suggestions, but there is no rodent smell -- it is definitely mold. I'm heading up to the dealer this week. Thank you!