RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hesitation On Acceleration--2012 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 09:48 AM
mark4009
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by floridaman
I owned a 2012 RX350 and had a problem with the transmission surging while accelerating. Took it to the Lexux dealer and they reset the shifting pattern but it never resolved the problem. I now own the 2013 RX350 and it does the exact same thing. Since two cars have the identical behavior I have chalked it up as a normal characteristic on the car. With that being said I have never owned a car that surges during the shifting process. I am writing this as I am waiting for the Lexus service department to fix a minor problem. I just spoke to my service advisor who has been here for many years and she verified that the surge is normal on the RX350. While I don't agree that this should happen I don't believe there is anything any Lexus dealer can do to resolve the issue. The dealer I am at is Wilde Clarke Lexus of Sarasota and they are one of the top rated dealers in the US. Can't say enough good things about them.
How long is the delay when the problem occurs and how often does it occur? Does it occur mostly or more in any particular circumstance, such as a turn? Did you trade or sell the 2012? If you traded it, did they take into account the problem in determining the price you got?
Old 10-23-12, 12:46 PM
cubu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3-4 seconds is kind scary... hope this isn't an issue with the wife's 2013 f-sport model. I will pay close attention and keep y'all posted if it happens on the 8-speed tranny
Old 10-23-12, 03:38 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cubu
3-4 seconds is kind scary... hope this isn't an issue with the wife's 2013 f-sport model. I will pay close attention and keep y'all posted if it happens on the 8-speed tranny
Reminder; NOT the tranny; the DBW system................
Old 10-23-12, 06:22 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This unresolved hesitation issue is really starting to turn me off to the RX350.

I am considering trading my '08 400h in on a 2013 RX350 because I really do not put enough miles on my vehicle to warrant the extra cost of the hybrid. But, sounds to me the only way to really avoid this is to pay the big bucks and get the hybrid. It's enough to make me check out the Murano LE Platinum Edition.
Old 10-23-12, 07:32 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Nissan has drive by wire delay too.....
Old 10-23-12, 08:10 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a friend who had an '03 Murano and I shared this DBW saga with him. He NEVER experienced it in nine years.

He just traded it on a 2012 LE Platinum Edition a few weeks ago and is bringing it by tomorrow. We'll see if his '12 does it.
Old 10-23-12, 09:06 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

My 2004 350Z had drive by wire, it had absolutely no lag. My 2009 370z has it, the lag is very notable.
Old 10-23-12, 09:15 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cossie1600
My 2004 350Z had drive by wire, it had absolutely no lag. My 2009 370z has it, the lag is very notable.
Time for education again I guess:
The DBW system is not A system; it is a type of system. Toyota/Lexus uses approximtely 1.7 volts at idle and about 3 volts at full throttle. FORD uses about 3 volts at idle and about 8 volts at full thrrotle; hence, FORD is better controlled and not so "jittery". Other manufacturers use whatever voltages their engineers deem workable and it varies quite a bit.
Make your own mind up if the DBW problems have totally been solved by Toyota by putting a
brake override over the DBW system so it cannot stick on. That is the only change they made, and they DON"T admit to any liability for stuck throttles; and apparently are not dealing with your "lagging" throttles. I have adjusted to the fact that it takes off much as a Toyota Forklift does and I anticipate ahead of it and adjust accordingly!!!!
Old 10-24-12, 07:07 AM
titch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
The DBW system is not A system; it is a type of system. Toyota/Lexus uses approximtely 1.7 volts at idle and about 3 volts at full throttle. FORD uses about 3 volts at idle and about 8 volts at full thrrotle; hence, FORD is better controlled and not so "jittery". Other manufacturers use whatever voltages their engineers deem workable and it varies quite a bit.
Make your own mind up if the DBW problems have totally been solved by Toyota by putting a
brake override over the DBW system so it cannot stick on. That is the only change they made, and they DON"T admit to any liability for stuck throttles; and apparently are not dealing with your "lagging" throttles. I have adjusted to the fact that it takes off much as a Toyota Forklift does and I anticipate ahead of it and adjust accordingly!!!!
I accept a 'lag' and have experienced a 'lag', what I don't accept and what I have experienced is a complete failure of the vehicle to accelerate when pressing the gas pedal for several seconds. No response. No acceleration. No ability to move the vehicle. Just revs as if the vehicle is in neutral, then it catches and surges forward. This is not a lag, this is dangerous. I can adjust for the lag that occurs occasionally, I can't adjust for failure to accelerate when pressing the gas pedal.
Old 10-24-12, 07:52 AM
mark4009
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've laid back for some time in commenting on this thread, but I'm not sure you grasp the severity of this problem. The lag I'm experiencing is not a brief pause while the vehicle shifts between gears. It is a 2-3 second hesitation--a period during which I put my foot on the gas pedal and there's no or little acceleration; a pause so long as to require me, among other "adjustments," to put a couple of blocks between myself and an oncoming vehicle before I can feel safe in making a left turn (Needless to say, I also have to "adjust" to a lot of honking behind me from drivers also wanting to make a left.)
You are plainly better versed than I in the mechanical/technical issues that may or may not underlie this problem. It is troubling to me that thus far Lexus has not educated/commented even to the extent you have done here.
Old 10-24-12, 08:05 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

The first situation of actually hearing the engine rev and the trans not connecting sounds like a different problem than the DBW lag I have mentioned; The combination of the two would be dangerous as mentioned; I would make sure your SA totally understands both of these as I did not until now!! Ascertain whether the engine rev is only when it is cold as most slippage is when oil is not flowing thru all ports of a trans; If it happens at all temps; certainly a problem but also one that your SA can sense when driven!!
Old 10-24-12, 09:23 AM
titch
Driver School Candidate

The first situation of actually hearing the engine rev and the trans not connecting sounds like a different problem than the DBW lag I have mentioned; The combination of the two would be dangerous as mentioned; I would make sure your SA totally understands both of these as I did not until now!! Ascertain whether the engine rev is only when it is cold as most slippage is when oil is not flowing thru all ports of a trans; If it happens at all temps; certainly a problem but also one that your SA can sense when driven!!
I have experienced the acceleration issue while the vehicle is both hot and cold. Frequently (but not always), when I back out of my driveway (vehicle is cold) and coast down the hill and around the corner and accelerate, the engine will rev, but no acceleration (as previously posted, my husband was standing on the driveway and actually thought I was in neutral because of the engine revs). I have also experienced it while the vehicle is clearly hot. There is no rhyme nor reason to the issue, it is intermittent and unpredictable. I may suggest they keep the vehicle for a month or longer and drive it daily until it happens to them – I think this is the only way to address it. It can happen 2 days in a row, then drive perfectly for 3 weeks. My SA was well aware of my specific complaints the day I brought it in. His response at the end of the day was "we can't reproduce the problem, so there is no problem - your vehicle is driving exactly as it should". He became frustrated with me when I pressed him and insisted there was an issue with my vehicle. He told me 3 different technicians had driven the vehicle during the day (which is why there was almost no fuel left in it when I picked it up – I had to immediately stop for gas, thank you Lexus). He acted like this was an isolated incident and made me feel like I was imagining it or didn't understand how a luxury vehicle should drive. He clearly didn't experience what I have experienced. This is exceedingly frustrating and I just want Lexus to take back the vehicle and let me out of my lease. I don't feel safe driving it. When I requested they put me into a different vehicle under a new lease, my penalty was around 8k and I've only been driving this vehicle for 5 months. Why should I incur a penalty when they leased me a defective vehicle? And why should I be forced to continue to pay monthly for a vehicle I have no intention of keeping/buying out? Shame on you, Lexus.
Old 10-24-12, 11:54 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Record it! Narrow down what the exact problem is and go from there if they are not being helpful
Old 10-31-12, 11:58 AM
titch
Driver School Candidate

Update. Just got my 2012 RX350 back from the dealer. Lexus technical advised the dealer to top up the transmission fluid and OVERFILL it by 200 mls and clear the computer memory. I am to report back to the dealer and let them know how it's going. Doesn't sound like a solution to me, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-01-12, 09:55 AM
cubu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminder; NOT the tranny; the DBW system................
I(and some other users) are not talking about minor DBW lag, the issue is the engine revving but not engaging a gear for a few seconds... leads me to believe a tranny issue, not throttle

ETA: Oops, just saw your more recent post. Also, I am not experiencing the issue I described above

Quick Reply: Hesitation On Acceleration--2012 RX 350