RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 04:17 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extra Key

I bought a spare Valet key for my 2007 RX350. At Walmart they sell the magnetic car key holders. I have it up in the spare tire area.

I also have the small metal key that I keep in my wallet. That will just get you in the drivers side door. After you get locked out once. You do what you need to do.
Old 01-19-10, 04:40 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
My concern is not locking the key inside, but losing it at an inopportune moment (such as after a backpacking trip). I have considered taking the battery out of the second key provided with the car, and stashing that key somewhere. Then perhaps, I could break the small front side window, reach inside/unlock the door, and retrieve the hidden second key.
That window looks like its not an easy thing to break.
Old 01-19-10, 07:33 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
My concern is not locking the key inside, but losing it at an inopportune moment (such as after a backpacking trip). I have considered taking the battery out of the second key provided with the car, and stashing that key somewhere. Then perhaps, I could break the small front side window, reach inside/unlock the door, and retrieve the hidden second key.
I think you're somewhat on the right track, but don't even think about breaking the wing-let window. That is just not an acceptable part of the plan in my opinion.

You can remove the mechanical key from the second key fob and hide that one outside the car. Use magnet holder, etc. Then, like you say, remove the battery from the second key fob and keep that key fob inside the car. Then in the event of an emergency, retrieve the mechanical key to open the car, get the second key fob and place the back of the key fob (lexus logo) against the bezel of the push button ignition. Then you should be able to start the car.
Old 01-25-10, 11:02 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day I was washing my RX and I had the key fob inside on the seat. As I was washing the door I touched the handle door locking area and the car started to beep continuously. I opened the door and the beep stopped. So I think at least the car won't lock with the fob inside and while touching the door handle lock area. Did not try the other key fob like the original poster stated.
Old 09-21-12, 11:17 AM
MNP
Driver School Candidate

Default Car locked itself with Key inside

Today while getting gas, I found the car locked after I filled up. (2012 Rx 350) The key and fob were in my bag on the passenger seat. Luckily, the window was open, so I could reach in and unlock it. But I thought the car was not supposed to lock if the fob is inside...??
Old 09-21-12, 01:34 PM
oceanexprt
Driver School Candidate

just touch the door handle to unlock the doors. the key fob doesn't have to be outside of the car for you to unlock the doors.

Last edited by oceanexprt; 09-21-12 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-21-12, 08:52 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

MNP, please describe the situation just a bit more. Thanks.

You are alone, purse with fob on passenger's seat and driver's(?) window open. You pull up, put car in park, turn car off and get out of an unlocked car, fill up with gas and go to back to the car and driver's door is locked and won't open when you pull on the handle.

You reach into the driver's window and use the lock lever to unlock the door. Or did you reach across to the purse and use the fob?

Thanks again for taking the time to explain.
Old 09-21-12, 09:40 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

if your cell phone (iphones are the worst!) was directly against the key fob, the key fob will not be detected by the vehicle and can potentially lock with the key being inside
Old 09-22-12, 05:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd have to check the manual, but isn't auto locking controlled be custom settings? Putting car in gear, car rolling up to speed and using the fob to unlock car and not opening door within a specified time? Masking the presence of the fob, as RXSF indicates is very possible, but I wonder what caused the car to auto lock?

I'd have to test this too, but doesn't reaching in a window and unlocking a locked and empty car, via that door lock on the inside of the door, trigger the alarm? Gotta a project for today, alarm testing!!!
Old 09-22-12, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The RX will auto lock if the doors are unlocked with the fob but no door is opened in 30 seconds. But as far as I know, it shouldn't happen when the fob is inside the car. Glad your window was open.
Old 09-24-12, 07:50 AM
MNP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
MNP, please describe the situation just a bit more. Thanks.

You are alone, purse with fob on passenger's seat and driver's(?) window open. You pull up, put car in park, turn car off and get out of an unlocked car, fill up with gas and go to back to the car and driver's door is locked and won't open when you pull on the handle.

You reach into the driver's window and use the lock lever to unlock the door. Or did you reach across to the purse and use the fob?

Thanks again for taking the time to explain.
Thanks all for your replies. Yes, I was alone, gym bag with fob on the passenger seat, pull up to station, turn car off, get gas... finish pumping gas, door is now locked...grabbing the handle won't unlock it...reached in window and used the manual lock button on the inside of the door to open.

I tried to replicate this situation yesterday, and it DID NOT lock. But it absolutely happened once and as far as I can tell it is definitely NOT supposed to happen under any circumstances. There is nothing in setup that should allow it to automatically lock with the fob inside. Also, someone mentioned the iPhone...which I do have, but that too was in my gym bag and nowhere near the door handle or the ignition switch.

Michael
Old 09-24-12, 07:53 AM
MNP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MNP
Thanks all for your replies. Yes, I was alone, gym bag with fob on the passenger seat, pull up to station, turn car off, get gas... finish pumping gas, door is now locked...grabbing the handle won't unlock it...reached in window and used the manual lock button on the inside of the door to open.

I tried to replicate this situation yesterday, and it DID NOT lock. But it absolutely happened once and as far as I can tell it is definitely NOT supposed to happen under any circumstances. There is nothing in setup that should allow it to automatically lock with the fob inside. Also, someone mentioned the iPhone...which I do have, but that too was in my gym bag and nowhere near the door handle or the ignition switch.

Michael
OH, I JUST RE-READ THE MESSAGE ABOUT THE IPHONE. It was VERY likely that my iPhone was in contact with my fob in the gym bag!. I will re-test with that scenario again. How interesting!

Michael
Old 09-24-12, 05:21 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

haha, sometimes when im driving, I get the "key fob not detected" message on the dash and I realize that I put the fob in the same pocket as my phone.

Even if that happened though, you would still need it to get the door locked somehow by either pushing on the lock button on the inside of the car or outside
Old 09-24-12, 06:54 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me a long time ago on my '02 Audi A6, never on the Lexus.
The doors locked itself with the keys still the ignition. I took it to the dealership, they told me it was the aftermarket sonar system. After they removed it, the car was fine again.
So if you have aftermarket equipment in the car, there is a possibility of a wiring issue.
Old 09-25-12, 05:57 AM
MNP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
haha, sometimes when im driving, I get the "key fob not detected" message on the dash and I realize that I put the fob in the same pocket as my phone.

Even if that happened though, you would still need it to get the door locked somehow by either pushing on the lock button on the inside of the car or outside
But if it didn't detect the fob, wouldn't the auto-lock kick in after the engine was shut off and I opened and closed the door?

Quick Reply: Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)