RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Was able to open another car with Lexus key

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 09:58 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Was able to open another car with Lexus key

I lend a friend my RX. He said that returning in the parking lot, he went to this car, touched the door handle and it opened. He was surprise to see that there were two women sitting in front. They were all startled but had a good laugh. The car was a Toyota but he does not remember the model. He said the shape and color is the same as my Lexus. Has this happen to you, being able to open another car with your Lexus fob?
Old 09-17-12, 10:25 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
I lend a friend my RX. He said that returning in the parking lot, he went to this car, touched the door handle and it opened. He was surprise to see that there were two women sitting in front. They were all startled but had a good laugh. The car was a Toyota but he does not remember the model. He said the shape and color is the same as my Lexus. Has this happen to you, being able to open another car with your Lexus fob?
Most of us probably don't try to open other people's cars......lol
Old 09-17-12, 10:27 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

Could it have been that the other car was already unlocked?
Old 09-17-12, 10:29 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not a doubting Thomas, but I don't think so. My bet is something is amiss in your friends story. I've never heard that it's even possible (they haven't made enough cars with the key-less entry) that any other Lexus (or Toyota) would have the same code. It would be more possible that one of the doors in the other car was already unlocked. And I'm sorry to say it this way but sometimes friends fib ???

Last edited by Cruiter; 09-17-12 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 11:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The other car was probably already unlocked. I believe the smart key system uses a rolling code, which would make it impossible to open another car with your fob.
Old 09-17-12, 12:33 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by panyo64
Could it have been that the other car was already unlocked?
I don't have first hand knowledge of what happened but he said he touched the door handle and opened it. If it were me I would know because there is always a sound of the key mechanism opening. And if it were me I would have ask the owner of the other car to try opening the Lexus, just for curiosity.

And yes I normally wouldn't open another car. But this kind of thing can happen.
Old 09-17-12, 12:51 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to disagree. You have more chance of winning the lotto. Like Hypervish said, it has the rolling code. I suspect your friend has baited you .

But this kind of thing can happen.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-12, 02:10 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

..... there were two women sitting in front. ....
Is this the clue? The women are sitting in front....meaning they opened the door already.
Old 09-17-12, 02:48 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Is this the clue? The women are sitting in front....meaning they opened the door already.
They could lock it from the inside.
Old 09-17-12, 03:57 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They could lock it from the inside.
Presumably with the fob inside the vehicle I don't believe you can lock the doors, right? I know this because if I'm washing my Rx and leave the fob inside the car it does the long beeping thing whenever the water stream hits the handle's lock sensor or you brush over the lock sensor with a towel. I doubt the Toyota has the handle sensors but I suspect it still won't let you lock the car with the fob inside. If true, one must necessarily infer that the door was not locked.

If they did manually lock it from the inside (without starting the engine) you would have heard the unlock chirp and the sound of the lock cycling. If the vehicle is running, then the fob lock/unlock does not function. Yes?
Old 09-17-12, 07:01 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It must have been a Venza, they look awfully similar and they have key less entry. I bet the door was unlocked. You are brave loaning your car out. I would have to have a large security deposit. LOL
Old 09-17-12, 07:34 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
It must have been a Venza, they look awfully similar and they have key less entry. I bet the door was unlocked. You are brave loaning your car out. I would have to have a large security deposit. LOL
You know, I read in one of the car magazines (can't remember which), that Venza is the most stolen car in North America. So maybe there's truth to the story. Maybe Venza vehicles(if this was the vehicle mistaken for RX) can be opened easily. Maybe the Lexus fob truly opened it (although I don't believe it myself).
Old 09-17-12, 07:46 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhento
You know, I read in one of the car magazines (can't remember which), that Venza is the most stolen car in North America. So maybe there's truth to the story. Maybe Venza vehicles(if this was the vehicle mistaken for RX) can be opened easily. Maybe the Lexus fob truly opened it (although I don't believe it myself).
Venza? of course not.
Honda is the most stolen brand.. especially the civic.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...rs-in-the-u-s/

this sounds as an urban legend to me sorry!
and the title of the thread is misleading..SERIOUSLY.

i wish the OP and his friend has spent an hour or two "trying" to open other cars/SUVs in the mall
before coming to a conclusion as ridiculous as this.
and unless the "friend" is Channing Tatum, who happened to be dressed as magic mike, i doubt that any woman/women in their right mind would laugh in this experience.

Last edited by markrivers; 09-17-12 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 07:49 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The owners key was in range (with the two women in the car) and since they had not started the car, anyone can walk up and touch the door handle. The car was probably unlocked. No big mystery here ... it would have been the same story even if he did not have a wireless key fob on him. He just made a mistake. It does point to a small security problem with these wireless keys for owners just sitting and waiting in their cars.

Last edited by UCSB; 09-17-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 07:55 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Venza? of course not.
Honda is the most stolen brand.. especially the civic.

this sounds as an urban legend to me sorry!
and unless the "friend" is Channing Tatum, who happened to be dressed as magic mike, i doubt that any woman/women in their right mind would laugh in this experience.
Correction to what I posted above. Venza is not the most stolen car in North America. Only in Canada as this link states.

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Insurance_Crime..._Cars/2011.asp

Quick Reply: Was able to open another car with Lexus key