RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear View Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 07:07 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear View Mirrors

I was told at my dealership that Lexus leaves exterior items off new units for more fuel efficiency,
EX. cross bars on roof racks, side moldings etc.

I was thinking, what about the rear view outside mirrors.

You think we'll see the day when just the inside view mirror will be installed, and maybe
a separate screen that displays the rear view at all times, hence eliminating the outside rear view mirrors completely creating less noise/drag??

Gezzzzz, maybe I'm on to something.
Old 08-10-12, 07:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I think it would be the end of the world if they stopped installing outside rear view mirrors, that is till cars start driving themselves.

Look I live in NJ, and I tell you what... No one can drive here, I don't want to know how much worse that would be if cars were not equipped with outside rear view mirrors. No one is going to look at their center console display when switching lanes. LOL, that is just not safe.
Old 08-10-12, 07:26 AM
firehawk12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about this when driving my RX into my narrow garage where I must retract my mirrors in order to get it in.

I would imagine cars completely without both side mirrors and cameras such as the ones found on our back up camera in its place or a HD camera =). As for screens, I would like to see clear OLED technology screens actually embedded into the lower corners of the side mirror or even in the corners of the front windshield. The screens would be translucent, allowing you to see through it but just enough so you can actually see the screen too. This would eliminate the need to turn your head and eyes off the road for even a second. All of the technology I've mentioned are or should be available now..
Old 08-10-12, 07:40 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look at some of the prototypes of vehicles coming in the future, most of them have a small camera in place of the side mirrors. I believe this is the way it is headed and eventually we won't be driving at all. Cameras, computers, sensors and GPS that's all you need.
Old 08-10-12, 11:13 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's just get the Teleport thing down from StarTrek and same everyone a whole lot of time and money.
Old 08-10-12, 01:03 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Self-Driving Rx450h

Originally Posted by MEP7557
If you look at some of the prototypes of vehicles coming in the future, most of them have a small camera in place of the side mirrors. I believe this is the way it is headed and eventually we won't be driving at all. Cameras, computers, sensors and GPS that's all you need.
Check out the post in this forum and the YouTube video. It's already here!
Self-Driving Rx450h!
Old 08-10-12, 03:15 PM
mrsunny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Check out the post in this forum and the YouTube video. It's already here!
Self-Driving Rx450h!
In the same thread there is this youtube video link which gives a demo of the Google's new technology of self-driving car...really cool
Old 09-12-12, 04:43 PM
TxTarheel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is BS. The body side molding went from clading to body side molding to a dealer insalled option. The roof rack cross bars are just another way to save money and make money on the buyer. It is what it is. Like the removal of the wood on the 2013 rear seat console. I guess that save several grams and gas mileage will go up dramatically. Yeah, right.
Old 09-12-12, 05:28 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TxTarheel
This is BS. The body side molding went from clading to body side molding to a dealer insalled option. The roof rack cross bars are just another way to save money and make money on the buyer. It is what it is. Like the removal of the wood on the 2013 rear seat console. .
I hear what your saying, but just be glad Lexus doesn't cut on internal quality like poor
engines or transmission.................

Also there's a number of luxury made suv's out there ,Mercedes, BMW, to name a few that are
priced close to our RX, BUT have you ever notice how poor their ratings in quality and endurance?