RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Black vs Nebula Grey

Old 09-13-12, 12:04 PM
uncchick94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black vs Nebula Grey

I have a 2012 black RX now and am probably trading for a 2013. I HATE black..beautiful when clean but I can't keep up the daily maintenance it should have. My 3 color choices are white, silver, Nebula Grey. Every car I have had has been white except for the 2012 so I really don't want white. I really like the Nebula but am afraid I will get in to the same situation I am in now with the Nebula. Anyone know if the Nebula is as hard to maintain as the black?
Old 09-13-12, 12:10 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

i feel white is the best option but since you are tired of looking at it i say go with nebula. We were looking for white but couldn't find any with the ebony interior. Parchment reminds me of old ppl. (no offense)
Old 09-13-12, 12:26 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

is it really cheaper to trade compared to change the color on your RX?
i don't know the OP but i'm willing to bet she'll have the same dilemma when the 2014 rolls out.
Old 09-13-12, 12:33 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
i feel white is the best option but since you are tired of looking at it i say go with nebula. We were looking for white but couldn't find any with the ebony interior. Parchment reminds me of old ppl. (no offense)
To each their own on car colors; white reminds me of generic company cars; so would not have it! Black is too hot in CA, so I consider all in between!
Old 09-13-12, 12:36 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Nebula Gray RXh and my wife has a silver ES and though we garage both vehicles, hers always looks cleaner.

Last edited by VVRX; 09-13-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 12:50 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've owned white, blue, silver, and a number of colors with and without pearl over the years. Each has their plus and minus points. Like VVRX, my 2013 RX450h is Nebula Gray. Good choice for me. Simpler to care for than black, and this shade of gray is not as dark as some have been in recent years on the RX. I don't feel like it needs constant dusting that I have with black and deep blue in the past, BUT, it does take more work than my old "bamboo" I had on my RX400h which is now a discontinued color, and was a very light gray with a slight green cast when the light hit it just so. I would buy Nebula again. Good luck in your decision.
Old 09-13-12, 02:48 PM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prefer Nebula Gray Pearl over my Brilliant Black Audi allroad

Much easier to keep clean
Old 09-13-12, 03:05 PM
gregruns
Driver School Candidate

My parents have the 2012 RX in Nebula Gray and they just love it! I think i's a beautiful color. They said it is a lot easier to care for than the dark blue ES300 they had. My 2013 RX is the Silver Lining, I have always wanted a silver RX, to me the silver is timeless, but really, I do not dislike any of the new RX colors.
Old 09-13-12, 03:23 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We have Nebula Gray Pearl on our 2013 and couldn't be happier. It was near the bottom of our choices when we first started looking. We like it even better now that we have had it awhile. We have no gripes about the looks in between washings, and it is outside full time. Not sure if you tint windows, but we are very impressed how they turned out on the Nebula Gray Pearl.
Old 09-14-12, 09:23 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, probably going to go against many people here. I have seen the grey, the white and the silver as well as the black. In my opinion, the white does not do justice to the vehicle. I saw a new white F-Sport the first week it came into the dealership and the lines of the car simply dont stand out. Furthermore, after owning a few cars I can say that while it does not show swirls and stone chips as much as darker colours, white shows bugs and black spots or mud ALOT!

The grey is a nice colour, for the GS. It also does not stand out on the road and i have seen many. Personally it looks to dull and bland. Like a colour someone would choose if they couldnt decide between black, white or silver. Also seen a grey F-Sport next to the white one and I can say it definately looks better than the white one.

Silver is a good choice. Doesnt show swirls as much and is relatively easy to keep clean. Personally, once again, silver doesnt do it for me. Its just not my colour really. I also noticed that silver also doesnt seem to stand out on the RX. This would be my third choice.

Now on to black. I may be biased due to a Celestial black (Stargazer/Starlight) F-Sport on the way. I have noticed that black seems to stand out a great deal more than the other colours. The lines of the vehicle are noticed much much more. Also no colour can ever match a shiny, mirror finish like black. Obviously, swirls will be much more noticeable on black and so will stone chips. Maybe 3M will be beneficial to you if that is a major concern? One more thing about black is that while it looks dirty after maybe a week up close, its not noticeable from far. Without washing the car for a month, i always came back to it without saying "wow, it needs a wash". After having a few white cars, i have always had black and never regretted the decision.

To sum it all up my choice would be:
1) Black
2) Grey
3) Silver
4) White

Hope this was of use to you.
Old 09-14-12, 01:44 PM
joeh80
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uncchick94
I have a 2012 black RX now and am probably trading for a 2013. I HATE black..beautiful when clean but I can't keep up the daily maintenance it should have. My 3 color choices are white, silver, Nebula Grey. Every car I have had has been white except for the 2012 so I really don't want white. I really like the Nebula but am afraid I will get in to the same situation I am in now with the Nebula. Anyone know if the Nebula is as hard to maintain as the black?
Have you received any prices on trading in your 12 for the 13? I am considering it but I want to know how much the differences will be. Anyone else trade a 12 for a 13? What kind of price?

Last edited by joeh80; 09-14-12 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 06:01 PM
AORC11
Driver School Candidate

I have a nebula grey car. To me it seems like you can see more of the dust and grime buildup on the pearl and silver cars.
Old 12-23-14, 06:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Old thread revival? I agree NG hides dirt well.
Old 12-24-14, 09:45 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

We have a Nebula Gray Pearl RX 350 and love it. I think it looks great on that vehicle, but it is more work than lighter colors - like the Breakwater Blue on my previous 2nd gen RX. I have never owned black, but I have a good friend who has to wash every weekend to keep it looking good so I don't blame you for wanting a break from that color. Silver is currently the most common automotive color choice- which isn't a bad thing, it simply means there are a lot of them out there. If your goal is lower cleaning maintenance, I would think the white or silver colors would be easier to take care of, with Nebula Gray being mid-pack.

Personally, I still love the Nebula Gray after two years of ownership and would absolutely choose that color again. I didn't even know they had that color choice until we went shopping at the dealer and I was really drawn to it. The color choice is such a subjective thing and it sounds like you are trying to be very objective about it by considering the maintenance aspect. I'm not sure I could be that objective. I tend to go for what hits my "hot button". Good luck with your choice.

Doug
Old 12-24-14, 11:17 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White is much easier to keep clean than black. Although not what one owuld think logically

Silver is the easiest color to keep clean of all.

But I would go with the Nebula for sure. A friend had the Nebula ES350 and I liked it. I have the Cerulean blue for the same reason as the OP. I had 5 previous cars that were white!

I believe that white is the easiest to see under most conditions and is therefore the safest color.

Save for School Bus/Taxi yellow, of course

Merry Christmas!