RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone interested in an RX based on 4GS platform?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 11:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Anyone interested in an RX based on 4GS platform?

Is anyone interested in an RX based on the 4GS platform?

This would mean the RX will have a longer wheelbase with the engine mounted behind the front axle for a near 50:50 weight distribution, for sharper steering, hence faster changes in direction.

Being based on the 4GS platform would also mean the future RX gets aluminium alloy forged multilink suspension to keep the wheels more perpendicular to the ground.

GS-based also means an aluminium bonnet, and maybe even an aluminium tail gate and aluminium doors down the track.

GS-based also means it gets direct injection.

This would make the RX more competitive with the rear drive based Benz ML and BMW X5's.
Anyone interested in a GS-based RX, rather than an ES-based RX???
Of course, the price will be higher too...

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-02-12 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 05:16 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I wouldn't be.

The RX is one of the top selling vehicles for Lexus. So, they definitely will not make the move to a 4GS platform, because what they are doing now is working just fine!

The majority of RX owners don't want a stiff riding RX, they want the plush smooth, softish suspension. A lot of people are "complaining" about the F-Sport package suspension.

Last edited by hypervish; 09-03-12 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-03-12, 08:48 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm right in saying that the RX has its own platform now starting with the third generation. Prior years it was on the ES platform.
Old 09-03-12, 09:12 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there are any changes it will be the "RAV4" variation that could be teased this fall at auto shows;;;;most importantly better gas mileage,but still the Lexus Luxury as opposed to the grey plastic Toyota version!!1
Old 09-03-12, 01:52 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
I wouldn't be.

The RX is one of the top selling vehicles for Lexus. So, they definitely will not make the move to a 4GS platform, because what they are doing now is working just fine!

The majority of RX owners don't want a stiff riding RX, they want the plush smooth, softish suspension. A lot of people are "complaining" about the F-Sport package suspension.
I'm a GS owner, wanting to purchase an RX.
I recently test drove the RX, and I was surprised at how firm the RX suspension is, compared to the GS.

The GS suspesion is much softer, and more opulent.
The GS flattens the bumps out.
Whereas the RX bobs up and down over the bumps, constantly bouncing, jouncing, busy, and unsettled ride.
Only on smooth surfaces does the RX ride well.

Despited the unsettled suspension, the RX cruises pretty quietly.
Not as quiet as the GS, but pretty darn quiet.
Maybe a car 5'8" tall must have firmer suspension to prevent roll over, and this is an unavoidable characteristic of the car?

You are right, the RX in F Sport is even firmer again.

The RX also has a short 2740 mm wheelbase, as opposed to the GS 2850 mm wheelbase, hence the RX had much more longitudinal pitching.

Hence I was hoping for a future RX with a longer wheelbase, and the engine mounted behind the front axle for a more near 50:50 weight distribution.

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-03-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 01:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mac12
I think I'm right in saying that the RX has its own platform now starting with the third generation. Prior years it was on the ES platform.
Thanks for that.
Now that explains why the current 2009-onwards RX Series has a slightly louder idle, and more engine roar under acceleration, than the 2007-2012 Camry.
I was always wondering why the current RX was louder than the Camry.
I previously thought they removed some of the Camry's firewall insulation.
So it turns out, they are different platforms now...

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-03-12 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 01:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dctex99
If there are any changes it will be the "RAV4" variation that could be teased this fall at auto shows;;;;most importantly better gas mileage,but still the Lexus Luxury as opposed to the grey plastic Toyota version!!1
Yes, I hope there is a compact variation of the RX - RAV4 sized, and with Lexus 2.5 and 3.0 V6 too.
The 2.5 and 3.0 V6s should rev silky smooth, while delivering economy.

If the flagship LS, has an LX SUV.
While the GS, has a GX SUV.
Maybe the IS spawns an IX SUV?
But then the RX has nothing to do with the ES, so a future compact SUV could carry any name including EX, or even HX, or CX...

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-03-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 02:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I recently test drove the RX, and I was surprised at how firm the RX suspension is, compared to the GS.

Whereas the RX bobs up and down over the bumps, constantly bouncing, jouncing, busy, and unsettled ride.
On smooth highways, the RX rides well.
Maybe a car 5'8" tall must have firmer suspension to prevent roll over, and this is an unavoidable characteristic of the car?

The RX also has a short 2740 mm wheelbase, as opposed to the GS 2850 mm wheelbase, hence the RX had much more longitudinal pitching.

Hence I was hoping for a future RX with a longer wheelbase, and the engine mounted behind the front axle for a more near 50:50 weight distribution.
What size rims did the RX you test drive have? You can play around with the tires and air pressure to find a ride that you prefer more suitable for you. That's what I did for my brother when he first got his 2010 RX450h.

The RX suspension has gotten firmer with each generation.

Lexus seems to be creating a smaller CUV, as the RX has already grown a lot in size from the original first gen.
Old 09-03-12, 02:01 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I hope there is a compact variation of the RX - RAV4 sized, and with Lexus 2.5 L V6 too.
The 2.5 V6 should rev silky smooth, while delivering economy.

If the flagship LS, has an LX SUV.
While the GS, has a GX SUV.
Maybe the IS spawns an IX SUV?
But then the RX has nothing to do with the ES, so a future compact SUV could carry any name...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...f-of-rav4.html
Old 09-03-12, 02:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
What size rims did the RX you test drive have? You can play around with the tires and air pressure to find a ride that you prefer more suitable for you. That's what I did for my brother when he first got his 2010 RX450h.

The RX suspension has gotten firmer with each generation.

Lexus seems to be creating a smaller CUV, as the RX has already grown a lot in size from the original first gen.
I tested a base model on 18" last year.
I also tested the recently facelifted model with the spindle shaped grill on 19".
Yes, I must check the tire pressures in case they over-inflated it like usual...
Old 09-03-12, 07:04 PM
joeh80
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I dropped my 19's down to 32 psi and it made a big difference in the ride. They delivered it with 36.
Old 09-03-12, 08:54 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only on smooth surfaces does the RX ride well.

Yep. Sounds just like the way my 2010 RX drives( the bouncy part, and drives smooth on the smooth roads) Oh, and don't forget the occasional teeth rattling when going over those bumps! Sometimes I feel like mine are gonna come loose when I'm on the not-too-smooth roads.
Old 09-04-12, 01:17 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Yep. Sounds just like the way my 2010 RX drives( the bouncy part, and drives smooth on the smooth roads) Oh, and don't forget the occasional teeth rattling when going over those bumps! Sometimes I feel like mine are gonna come loose when I'm on the not-too-smooth roads.
I think the RX's torsional rigidity and bending stiffness is satisfactory.
It's ok.
Could always be better.
There is the odd flex on the central console here and there.
It could always improve.
And that's using a shortish wheelbase.
If it had a long wheelbase, the RX's creaking would be much worse...
Old 09-04-12, 07:13 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My thought is that the next generation RX will follow the ES and go to the Avalon platform. But then again Lexus may reserve the larger Avalon platform for the next GX which will soon become a crossover. With the larger Avalon platform they can probably get 3 rows of seats. I would like to see a Lexus-Rav4 with the 3.0 liter engine and an 8 spd auto.

It will be interesting to see what direction Lexus will take. With the new EPA mpg requirements coming everyone is going to have to start downsizing their vehicles.
Old 12-20-12, 11:36 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus just trademarked NX-200t and NX-300h in Australia. Looks like a smaller RX is in the works. Maybe not till around 2017 unfortunately.