RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to turn off a push button start RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 01:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default How to turn off a push button start RX350?

So, I'm reading about the woman driving in MO with a stuck accelerator pedal in her 2011 Kia SUV. The vehicle is equipped with push button start. Therefore, there was no key to turn the vehicle off and she was unable to shift the SUV into neutral.

If you were put in the same situation would you be able to turn off your push to start RX350? Is there a lock out preventing you from shifting into neutral?

On my RX330 I have the key start so this is not a particular problem for myself. Just curious how others might be affected by this new(er) technology. When things go bad, things can really go bad.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...e-horror-ride/
Old 08-28-12, 01:54 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same problem happened in France some years ago (a Renault vehicle, auto gearbox) with passage of a toll gate in addition... very stressing for the driver).
Old 08-28-12, 02:41 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Trying to be helpful here in the best way possible. Your manual for the RX deals specifically with this situation and tells in the words of the engineers how to turn off and stop the car. YES, I'm saying read the manual VS what myself or someone else say's they may be slightly off the mark re: the best way to stop the car. I could quote from the manual, but then I'd have to go and get it .
Old 08-28-12, 03:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Trying to be helpful here in the best way possible. Your manual for the RX deals specifically with this situation and tells in the words of the engineers how to turn off and stop the car. YES, I'm saying read the manual VS what myself or someone else say's they may be slightly off the mark re: the best way to stop the car. I could quote from the manual, but then I'd have to go and get it .
As I stated above, I have an RX330 and not an RX350 with push button start. Was just curious to know if and how this addressed with Lexus. No need to be condescending.

So, your post, Cruiter, is not helpful at all. Did you really read my post in its entirety? Would you say the same thing to a person who was looking to make their first Lexus purchase? Thought I would get a better response from a moderator.
Old 08-28-12, 03:19 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just hold down the start button until the car shuts off. It will not take long ... a few seconds. This is true for all Toyota cars. I agree with the OP, this is something all drivers should know in this keyless era.
Old 08-28-12, 03:40 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCSB
Just hold down the start button until the car shuts off. It will not take long ... a few seconds. This is true for all Toyota cars. I agree with the OP, this is something all drivers should know in this keyless era.
Thanks, UCSB. Thought that is how it "should" work. Of course, we have no way of knowing what the driver was attempting to do in this case with the Kia.

I put this in the same category as antilock brakes when they first came out. Took time for individuals to learn to just stomp and steer in the first place and no tapping the brakes beforehand.
Old 08-28-12, 04:21 PM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turning the car off really should be a last resort option because you will essentially be going in a straight line until you stop as the hydraulic boost in the steering will be gone.
Old 08-28-12, 04:34 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how it will affect the electric power steering in our newer ones??? It would seem like turning the ignition back on might be a good thing without trying to start..???
Old 08-28-12, 04:43 PM
dwlink
Driver

Originally Posted by dctex99
I wonder how it will affect the electric power steering in our newer ones??? It would seem like turning the ignition back on might be a good thing without trying to start..???
That is a very good question. At the wheels you'll still need the boost for the control arms to steer the wheel, but how the force feel system responds at the steering wheel is a complete question mark to me as you would need power to apply a strong force gradient.
Old 08-28-12, 05:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

All good points. I have driven numerous vehicles on the road and track with varying degrees of power steering, however, have not owned anything with electric power steering. If I were researching the purchase of a new vehicle today I would want to definitely spend some time to see how the vehicle would respond in such circumstances before purchase. For now, give me the old tech stuff any day.

Just an analog guy in a digital world.
Old 08-28-12, 05:39 PM
Cruiter

As I stated earlier, I was genuinely trying to be helpful. I wanted you to read the manual. These are complex new cars and there is so much to learn in the manual. Along with braking and holding in the start button for several seconds, the engine will stop but so will power assist, so be prepared to press harder on brakes and the steering to be more of an effort. But both will work. I'd bet a lot the lady in MO didn't hold the button in long enough. When the car finally stopped, it probably was because she did just that for a long enough period. Just briefly punching it won't do the trick.
Old 08-28-12, 06:22 PM
dwlink
Driver

As I stated earlier, I was genuinely trying to be helpful. I wanted you to read the manual. These are complex new cars and there is so much to learn in the manual. Along with braking and holding in the start button for several seconds, the engine will stop but so will power assist, so be prepared to press harder on brakes and the steering to be more of an effort. But both will work. I'd bet a lot the lady in MO didn't hold the button in long enough. When the car finally stopped, it probably was because she did just that for a long enough period. Just briefly punching it won't do the trick.
Perhaps Lexus should build in a type of panic regime where if the brakes are pressed firmly, the duration needed for the car to shutdown is reduced to either a half second button press or at least several repeated individual presses within a short period. I think they could use a flight controls guy over there to show 'em a thing or two.
Old 08-28-12, 07:14 PM
Cruiter

Actually the issue in this whole thread is my failure to properly access the O/P's statement. There was no way they could read the manual on our Gen III RX as their car is a 2004 RX330. So if I sounded condescending to anyone I apologize. If I had an older one, I may have asked the same question.

I think by now we all know how our car can be stopped in an emergency.
Originally Posted by dwlink
Perhaps Lexus should build in a type of panic regime where if the brakes are pressed firmly, the duration needed for the car to shutdown is reduced to either a half second button press or at least several repeated individual presses within a short period. I think they could use a flight controls guy over there to show 'em a thing or two.
Old 08-28-12, 07:21 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I can understand Jim's reluctance, or what I may interpret as reluctance, to give instructions for a controversial safety procedure. I say controversial only that SUA, sudden unintended acceleration, has been in the news for years.

Prior to and as I purchased my 2010 RX, I followed the news stories and Lexus, Toyota and Nissan discussion groups very closely. After making the purchase, I found an isolated stretch of road and tried to figure out what I would do during SUA. Although in many cases the SUA seemed to occur in a situation when they were parking the car, giving them no time for reactions.

Putting the car in neutral was the quickest and seemed to be safest solution for me. What is troubling is this Iowa women was unable to use neutral.

There has also been a movement in the industry to standardize the function of the start/stop button across manufacturers. If it hasn't occurred already.
Old 08-28-12, 08:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Actually the issue in this whole thread is my failure to properly access the O/P's statement. There was no way they could read the manual on our Gen III RX as their car is a 2004 RX330. So if I sounded condescending to anyone I apologize. If I had an older one, I may have asked the same question.

I think by now we all know how our car can be stopped in an emergency.
You now see my point.

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Prior to and as I purchased my 2010 RX, I followed the news stories and Lexus, Toyota and Nissan discussion groups very closely. After making the purchase, I found an isolated stretch of road and tried to figure out what I would do during SUA. Although in many cases the SUA seemed to occur in a situation when they were parking the car, giving them no time for reactions.

Putting the car in neutral was the quickest and seemed to be safest solution for me. What is troubling is this Iowa women was unable to use neutral.

There has also been a movement in the industry to standardize the function of the start/stop button across manufacturers. If it hasn't occurred already.
Whether the lady's problem was a stuck throttle or stuck accelerator pedal (for whatever reason... perhaps carpet/floor mat issues) we may never know. Personally, not necessary for the conversation. I was perhaps more concerned that she could not put the vehicle in neutral. And, I agree with a comment above in that I think she was perhaps just pressing the Start button quickly instead of holding it. From what I understand from the video was that she was finally able to get her foot behind the accelerator pedal and pull it up as well as step on the brakes. She wore the emergency brakes out early on.

One reason this topic comes to mind would be for situations when I step into a loaner vehicle from Lexus. They have loaned me various ES and RX over the years and all of recent have the Start button with no key. Now, how many times each day do you think someone newly gets behind the wheel of these types of vehicles? I know the dealership never said word one to me over the years.

Now, slightly off topic... I was amazed to see when she stepped out of her vehicle in the video she had her cellphone in-hand talking to the 911 operator. Am going to guess at 100+ MPH she had the cell in one hand while trying to drive and stop the vehicle. With a new Lexus she would have had bluetooth and thus could have gone hands free. And, we know this particular Kia can do 113 MPH.

Quick Reply: How to turn off a push button start RX350?