RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Silent Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 06:17 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Silent Navigation

In my year and a half of ownership I have had this issue twice. I enter a point of interest into my navigation - everything looks good the route shows up on the screen and navigation begins but there are no verbal directions given by the navigation. Has anyone also had this issue?
Old 08-27-12, 07:12 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Voice Settings

You need to go into the settings. And turn on or turn up the volume for the voice.

A 5 second search of Club Lexus Forums found this.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...25U/pdf/07.pdf
Old 08-27-12, 07:33 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What happens when you push the map button? Does she speak then? Or is she "broke"?

I usually have her set to "shut up" mode and push the button when I need assistance. Plus I can then get her to repeat the instruction if I didn't understand by pushing the button again.

Last edited by DunWkg; 08-27-12 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 07:58 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISFWes
You need to go into the settings. And turn on or turn up the volume for the voice.

A 5 second search of Club Lexus Forums found this.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...25U/pdf/07.pdf
Not to be rude but did you actually read my question? It has only happened twice and then functioned normally without changing any settings. FYI I did do a search.
Old 08-27-12, 08:00 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by DunWkg
What happens when you push the map button? Does she speak then? Or is she "broke"?

I usually have her set to "shut up" mode and push the button when I need assistance. Plus I can then get her to repeat the instruction if I didn't understand by pushing the button again.
Navigation voice was silent - destination was reached - when I returned to car and put in new destination it worked just like normal. It has only happened twice - but just seems odd.
Old 08-27-12, 08:17 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure what happened, but I will offer one possible idea. I can't remember if route guidance is temporarily halted while you are on a bluetooth phone, but that may be a possibility. Also, you can halt route guidance. I use that last function often. But, I am not sure how you would accidentally stop route guidance.
Old 08-27-12, 11:52 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Navigation

My bad, I missed the word " Twice "

3rd Generation RXs have numerous issues with the Radio / Navigation controls.

I five minute search of Club Lexus Forums found these. And about 50 USB and Bluetooth issues.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...io-system.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx-350-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-haunted.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-problems.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-sources.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...my-stereo.html

Seems like the common issue is the Media ECU.

Your RX is new. Take it back to the dealer.
Old 08-28-12, 09:36 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Ive had it happen twice in the past 4 months. It shows the up on the screen and it highlights the route too but she doesnt speak. So i ended up deleting destination and entered it again and it worked fine.
Old 08-28-12, 10:03 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Intermittent problems are the worst to find and fix. Just need to document some who, what and wheres and see if it can be replicated.

I haven't had a bluetooth versus nav problem in the '10 and '12, but this morning I put in a test route and drove on a couple of streets not on the map and she went silent and pushing the map button didn't wake her up. While she showed the name of the street, she would not speak until I got on a street that showed on the map. Which makes sense, 'cuz she's lost until she finds a known street. I didn't even get the speech about following directional arrows.
Old 08-28-12, 10:43 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Intermittent problems are the worst to find and fix. Just need to document some who, what and wheres and see if it can be replicated.

I haven't had a bluetooth versus nav problem in the '10 and '12, but this morning I put in a test route and drove on a couple of streets not on the map and she went silent and pushing the map button didn't wake her up. While she showed the name of the street, she would not speak until I got on a street that showed on the map. Which makes sense, 'cuz she's lost until she finds a known street. I didn't even get the speech about following directional arrows.
What you just explained is i think what happened to me the two times i had this issue.
Old 08-28-12, 12:37 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I prefer silent navigation all the time. First thing I did on my 2010, and now my 2013, is turn off the voice. I don't really need a backseat driver within my navigation screen telling me when to turn, when all I have to do is look at the map screen or HUD for all our destination entries. So much more peaceful driving. Way back when I had a portable GPS my wife recommended turning her off, and have never gone back. Just my opinion, and works for us.
Old 08-28-12, 02:11 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe I've also experienced David's issue in my 2013. Plus, the Navi doesn't seem to always know when I've arrived. If I put in the aqddress of a restaurant and drive there, then come out after dinner the destination is still "active" - it doesn't think I've quite arrived. I know this because if I go to Destination I see the "Del Destination" button available. Yet she is not trying to give me any guidance and there are no blue route lines on the map. My wife's 2012 ES 350 behaves the same way.