RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 rx build quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 01:51 PM
kpham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 rx build quality

i just bought a rx350 last week and its sweet

as it sits in the garage im starting to notice more and more build quality issues. parts not fitting right for example. rear spoiler seems do not line up right. interior door panel has a gap between the plastics, side mirror is scrapping paint off its base from folding in and out.

could this possible be due to being built in the canada plant?

i wish these rx's were still made in japan as owning one before the build quality was excellent
Old 08-27-12, 08:45 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

These seem like small problems. It could be much worst if you had rattles or squeaks. Consider yourself lucky if that is all you have to worry about. Mine was made in Japan and I have not noticed any assembly problems, but I have not really spent any time looking. I don't think that Canadian assembly is the problem.
Old 08-27-12, 10:05 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
These seem like small problems. It could be much worst if you had rattles or squeaks. Consider yourself lucky if that is all you have to worry about. Mine was made in Japan and I have not noticed any assembly problems, but I have not really spent any time looking. I don't think that Canadian assembly is the problem.
If you have seen any of the videos on the Canada factory you will realize it is as Japanese as the one IN Japan; from inspecting vendor parts to QC on the line and testing after assembly; I don't think it is a Canadian factory problem if you have one?
Old 08-27-12, 10:28 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I have both the gap problem in the interior plastic as well as the rattle issue as well...however, i did looked at a hybrid in the show room and noticed that the interior plastic was fitted perfectly...i brought my car back to the dealership and complained and the SA told me that the next time the factory rep comes out, he will call and have me bring the car back in and have them take a look...i've seen other RX that's built in the Canadian plant and seems that the gap between the plastic is a widespread issue and to me, this is not acceptable for a $50k suv and perhaps this is the last Lexus I will buy..
Old 08-28-12, 12:45 AM
kpham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UCSB
no rattles or squeaks as of yet.

Originally Posted by dctex99
If you have seen any of the videos on the Canada factory you will realize it is as Japanese as the one IN Japan; from inspecting vendor parts to QC on the line and testing after assembly; I don't think it is a Canadian factory problem if you have one?
the quality of the part is good. it is the the fit and finish of the product which is poor in my opinion. i fixed one of the gap issues i had so far. but there are a few more which i may have to let the dealer take a look at.

Originally Posted by davezaristo
I have both the gap problem in the interior plastic as well as the rattle issue as well...however, i did looked at a hybrid in the show room and noticed that the interior plastic was fitted perfectly...i brought my car back to the dealership and complained and the SA told me that the next time the factory rep comes out, he will call and have me bring the car back in and have them take a look...i've seen other RX that's built in the Canadian plant and seems that the gap between the plastic is a widespread issue and to me, this is not acceptable for a $50k suv and perhaps this is the last Lexus I will buy..
yes im disappointed in finding these issues in my rx with less then 50miles on the odo. i was expecting the lexus quality when buying this rx350 but i guess things are not what they use to be anymore
Old 08-30-12, 08:29 PM
kingston11
Driver School Candidate

Yes, please post pics. I have a canadian built one and want to see the gap in the interior door that your car has. thanks!
Old 08-30-12, 09:41 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhento
How can one tell whether it is Japanese or Canadian made?
Look for the plate in the driver's door jamb, it will tell the country as will the window sticker
Old 08-31-12, 04:41 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
Look for the plate in the driver's door jamb, it will tell the country as will the window sticker
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.
Old 08-31-12, 07:18 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please explain why when these type of issues occur there is a segment of us who automatically believe that the quality of a North American built product is immediately inferior to one built in Asia? I just do not get it. If the Canadian Lexus plant were an old automobile assembly plant vs a new modern plant in Asia, I could understand but the truth is that both plants are modern with the similar or exactly the same equipment. Therefore it must be the North American worker. That is just pure nonsense!!! I have had many cars over the years that were built in many countries and absolutely none of them were perfect. They are all made up of thousands of parts that are mass produced and to expect absolute perfection is, in my opinion, unrealistic. We really like our 2011 RX but it is not perfect and still a great car. FYI our RX was built in Canada.
Old 09-01-12, 12:02 PM
kpham
Driver School Candidate

my mirror issue

door issue

Old 09-01-12, 03:09 PM
wchoi815
Driver School Candidate

My Lexus service consultant told me that you can also tell whether it is Canadian or Japanese by checking Vin#. If it starts with 2T2, it is Canadian. If it starts with JTK, Japanese.

My 2013 RX350 is Canadian acordingly. So far, I have
1. Driver side sun visor light is not working(fixed, new sun visor replaced).

2. The outside rear view mirrors do not fold in and out at the same speed one is faster than the other. (Advised from the dealer that is same as other 2013 Rx 350s.) It is also scrapping paint off its base.

3. Front defrost button does not feel the same when pressed as other buttons(being fixed, parts ordered).
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-question.html

4. Weatherstrip around passenger window is not perfectly flush(being fixed, parts ordered).

5. Bumper color is not perfectly match to the body color, etc.

This is all I could find in 2 weeks after I bought my first Lexus 2013 Rx 350 and also found it is not made in Japan ;(.
Does anybody else have side mirror problem with different speed folding in and out? it keeps bothering me...
Old 09-01-12, 04:48 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Kevin, now I can understand why you were so upset. If it was documented as that way when you took delivery I think you definitely have a case. Or even a few days later. What has the dealer said about it. Surely you went back and showed him didn't you ???
Old 09-01-12, 07:15 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Bumper color mismatch is very common on today's cars. It's TERRIBLE on our '09 Camry. I'll have to check on my RX, but seems to me it's damn near perfect even coming up on 5 years of it being parked outside. It is white; I would imagine that would be an easier color to match. It's also made in Japan.
Old 09-01-12, 07:41 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
Bumper color mismatch is very common on today's cars. It's TERRIBLE on our '09 Camry. I'll have to check on my RX, but seems to me it's damn near perfect even coming up on 5 years of it being parked outside. It is white; I would imagine that would be an easier color to match. It's also made in Japan.
When it is mixed with softener so it can be sprayed on soft rubber it will change color a little bit; we must not be QUITE so **** about our cars!!!!!
Old 09-01-12, 08:40 PM
kpham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Kevin, now I can understand why you were so upset. If it was documented as that way when you took delivery I think you definitely have a case. Or even a few days later. What has the dealer said about it. Surely you went back and showed him didn't you ???
im not upset im more disappointed. i havent had much time at all to go back to the dealer. i probably will go back this coming tuesday.

Originally Posted by dctex99
When it is mixed with softener so it can be sprayed on soft rubber it will change color a little bit; we must not be QUITE so **** about our cars!!!!!
**** about our cars isnt quite the right term. its more like expecting what lexus advertises. we as owners should expect perfection

Quick Reply: 2013 rx build quality