RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 rx build quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 04:33 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2010 RX with the power folding mirrors and I use them all the time. I have the Starfire Pearl and no signs of any scraping after 2+ years.
Old 09-06-12, 05:49 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I have a 2010 RX with the power folding mirrors and I use them all the time. I have the Starfire Pearl and no signs of any scraping after 2+ years.
On the '13's you can have them fold each time you lock the car; so mine have folded literally hundreds of times just in the 3 months I have owned it; probably a lot more than you having it only as an accessory!
Old 09-06-12, 07:21 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing new dctex99. That's what mine do. It is set to auto and they fold in and out each time I lock and unlock the RX. Part of the Luxury package for 2010.
Old 09-07-12, 01:02 AM
kpham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick update. took the car to dealer today, they could not fix the issue. they reported that all the 2013s on their lot have similar issues...except the hybrid models which was made in japan....

oddly enough the 2012 rx350 loaner car they gave me did not have any of the gap and or build quality issue i can post pictures to compare it tomorrow. the ride quality was smoother, and it was built in japan. haha

their solution for me is to contact lexus customer care and log a report.... which i find strange because they should be the ones contacting lexus if it is a quality issue.
Old 09-18-12, 09:22 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

I took my car in to have the mirrors replaced and they gave me a 2013 RX loaner. I wasn't too surprised, but both mirrors were rubbing in the same areas as my car. Obviously this is an issue with the 2013's. I think it's unacceptable, so all of you 2013 owners please check your mirrors and have this issue address by your dealer.
Old 09-18-12, 09:27 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus_ls
I took my car in to have the mirrors replaced and they gave me a 2013 RX loaner. I wasn't too surprised, but both mirrors were rubbing in the same areas as my car. Obviously this is an issue with the 2013's. I think it's unacceptable, so all of you 2013 owners please check your mirrors and have this issue address by your dealer.
I have a 2013 RX350 and I don't have the problem you folks have and it is made in Canada.
Old 09-19-12, 04:57 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll toss this in. Could it be possible the mirrors come from different vendors ??? And some just aren't quite up to par ???

Same theory could be true for the bumper covers that had connection issues in the early Gen III models from Canada. Some could have come from different vendors. All parts on the assy lines do not always come from the same vendor.
Originally Posted by sarhento
I have a 2013 RX350 and I don't have the problem you folks have and it is made in Canada.
Old 09-19-12, 05:27 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I also suspect there may well be a difference between mirrors that can be electrically folded vs. those that are manual only, since as previously stated. my mirrors that came with the US luxury package (and from Japan) on my 2013 have zero issues with either vibration or this paint scraping issue being discussed here. Owners with the premium package would also have the electric mirrors. Cosmetically, I believe the two types of mirrors otherwise look the same.
Old 09-19-12, 10:18 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2010 with the power folding mirrors and had them set to auto fold every time I locked the vehicle--which was a lot- there were no issues and I am fastidious. My 2013 (Cambridge) has not yet been built - target build date is Sept 27 to arrive at my dealer 2 days later. The 2013 mirrors have been updated for the blind spot monitoring. I will bet money that all of the mirrors are made in Japan not in Canada--if anyone cares enough to know--I will ask - I do know people inside the plant. (if you look at the underside of the mirror - it likely says the name of the company which produces it and the country of origin- my suspicion is that it is likely Tokiarka (I am goingon memory for spelling)--Japan) Many of the parts from that plant arrive directly from Japan for assembly. They will be removed from the box or plastic bag that they arrive in by the assembler and that person will attach it to the car as well as connect the electrical cables--nothing more. The mirrors will not be produced by Lexus- they will be purchased and build to their specs and are painted prior to arrival. If the paint is scraping off them when they are folded- everyone needs to bring it to the attention of Lexus because it is not acceptable. Similarly the bumpers arrive already painted from an outside source (perhaps even Japan too)and hence may vary slightly in colour and paint for bumpers must contain a flex agent. Its all to easy to slam a plant just because of its location when quality from both plants is on par. I have owned 5 RX's over time all but one was Canadian built and there have been no issues- I still own the 2009 and it is beautiful.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Canada
Old 09-19-12, 12:23 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

As a long time Lexus customer since 1993, I have seen the quality of service diminish. Over the years, I presume Lexus has gone through growing pains and made changes affecting the profit level of the dealers. I see the gap between MSRP and dealer's invoice closing.

Along with less profit, I suspect dealers hire fewer techs, service advisors and have fewer loaner cars. There are, however, more lounges to drink designer coffee and eat chocolate chip cookies while we wait hours for our cars having routine maintenance done.

But I hear those dreaded responses now a lot more often, "It's performing to specs" and "They all do that". Maybe it's just the one and only dealer in my region that has service issues, but I doubt it. I think it's more that customers believe they are not taken seriously that causes dissatisfaction than the actual problem.

Lexus, IMO, has forgotten the goal they set out to achieve in its infancy. That goal was not only to provide the customer with a car that made him/her feel special, but to be treated in a special way during the entire experience with Lexus, from the time a customer stepped into the showroom, bought the car, serviced it and returned to replace it.

The cars are still very reliable and most times still make you feel you are driving something special. Not as much from the service perspective.
Old 09-19-12, 01:52 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default 3GEN RX Build Quality

All,

It seems to me that the build quality of the 3GEN RX is NOT on the standard of what we used to know from the product called Lexus.

I have an RX350 (Canada built with 25k) and RX450h (Japan built with 30k). They are both experiencing the rear end squeaking when going over speed bumps or dips at low speed. It is more pronounce on the 450h than on the 350. My dealer has no idea how to fix it after talking to their Lexus rep.

My 450h is at the dealer for the rear bumper misaligned right now, the third time for this same issue. It has been 10 days and still waiting for parts. They loaned me an RX350 (Japan built with 51k) to drive and this one has even MORE squeaks at the same spot as it is on my 450h. Also there are BIG rear bumper gaps and to me it is NOT acceptable on a Lexus. I pointed these to my salesman and he was so surprised to see that on a Lexus. There are 2 more RX350s parked there and they all have this same issue.

The engine on my 350 is so loud and noisy when it is parked, especially when AC is on. It is much louder than my sister's 2005 RX330 with 110k on it. The gap between the side of the hood with the front fender are not even. One side is about 40% bigger on the other, not an issue on the 450h.

Both of mine RXes have the tail lights replaced, one on each. The parts inside somehow got loose and rattle and one bulb did not light up. The paint is so easy for scratched and rock chips. I had a 2002 4Runner for 8+ years and not a single rock chips. I have many on both RX'es.

I start to dislike my 450h because of these build issues, it comes to the point that I want to dump it for a Toyota truck. The only good part is that my dealer treats me nice. I'll see how much longer I can deal with these. T

Thanks for reading my venting.......

Last edited by GoHuskers; 09-19-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-19-12, 08:54 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go Huskers, sorry to hear about the issues that you're having with your RX's. I haven't had this rear squeaking issue that you speak of on my RX. But then again, I have had some other issues that have occurred with my RX that luckily were resolved under my warranty. Regarding the engine noise on the RX, the RX330 with the 3.3 liter engine is more quiet than the 3.5 liter engine. So on the second gen RX's, the 2004 through 2006 model engines are more quiet than the 2007 to 2009 second gen RX's that have the 3.5 liter engine.

For the third gen RX, I guess Lexus decided to make the RX sound a little "sporty". I always refer to this change that was made as an epic fail in my opinion, because the engine sound just ends up annoying the heck out of me. I preferred the more quiet engine note on my '07 RX to the '10, and still do. But, remember, the RX330 was still even more quiet than the second gen 2007 to 2009 RX, so go figure!

I also just noticed a peculiar bent edge on the inside of my left lower front bumper just in front of the wheel that has a small hole in it that is not present on the right side. I'm going to have them take a look at it when my next service comes due. I hope you're able to get these issues resolved.
Old 10-16-12, 10:23 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

sorry to bring this old thread back to life but has anyone successfully get the dealer to fix these door panel gap issues? My dealer has never followed up with me even they promised they will and I've logged a report thru Lexus corporate and you may have guessed it, not a single response from Lexus, not even an email...this will definitely be my last Lexus as both build quality and customer service has really gone downhill..I should've just bought a toyota instead and save the $ or get a q5 or x3...
Old 10-17-12, 10:45 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

picture? kind of want to compare
Old 10-22-12, 07:24 PM
LexFather

Just drove F-sport and mirrors folded when in park.

Quick Reply: 2013 rx build quality