RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Climate Control Voice Commands

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 09:52 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Climate Control Voice Commands

I have had several Lexus with nav and voice commands, including both a 2010 ES350 and a 2010 LS460. Using voice commands, I could say a specific temperature and the original setting would change to the new one. I also remember there were several other voice commands for the Climate Control. Now, having the 2013 RX450h, I assumed the voice commands would be the same as my previous Lexus. I tried the command "Temperature 78 degrees". It was like speaking a foreign language. The only related response I got was either "warner" or "cooler". I looked in the navigation manual and it appears there are only 4 voice commands now to turn on, off and warmer and cooler.

I accessed the online video on the owner's section of Lexus' website for the RX and there was none for the 2013 model. The latest was the 2012, so I played the video for the 2012 and one of the voice commands was "temperature xx degrees".

I haven't seen any posts on this subject, so I thought I'd ask those of you who have a 2013 with nav and use the voice commands. Am I correct in saying Lexus has eliminated many of the climate control voice commands for 2013? Have the voice commands for other operations been reduced or eliminated also?
Old 08-26-12, 10:13 AM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in learning this too. First time Lexus owner. 2013 rx350
Old 08-26-12, 10:17 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Be sure you go into Setup / Voice Settings / and enable Expanded Voice Commands. IMO, this is one of the "dumb" defaults you need to override.

You can then say things like "70 Degrees" once again.

This link may be of assistance: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...25U/pdf/07.pdf

Last edited by BertL; 08-26-12 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added link to manual
Old 08-26-12, 01:20 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by BertL
Be sure you go into Setup / Voice Settings / and enable Expanded Voice Commands. IMO, this is one of the "dumb" defaults you need to override.

You can then say things like "70 Degrees" once again.

This link may be of assistance: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...25U/pdf/07.pdf
Burt, "Expanded Voice Commands" is set to "ON". I doubled checked after I read your post. I tried the command "Temperature 78 degrees" , "78 degrees" without success. I can say "Lower temperature" and the response is "cooler, yes or no". Guess I need to do more research or maybe just give up. This should not be that complicated.
Old 08-26-12, 01:32 PM
MikeP
Advanced

This is the information I found in the Voice Recognition online manual:

1. VOICE COMMAND SYSTEM OPERATION RX450h/350_Navi_U
��Climate command
When Expanded Voice Commands are turned “On”. (See page 338.)

Command Action Shortcut Menu

“Automatic climate control” Turns air conditioning system on and off. O
“Warmer” Turns temperature up. O
“Cooler” Turns temperature down. O
INFORMATION
●Commands that have a “O” in the Shortcut Menu column can be recognized from the
“Shortcut Menu” screen.
●Commands that have a “⎯” in the Shortcut Menu column can only be recognized from the
screen that they are displayed in.
Old 08-26-12, 02:31 PM
BertL

Red face

Originally Posted by MikeP
Burt, "Expanded Voice Commands" is set to "ON". I doubled checked after I read your post. I tried the command "Temperature 78 degrees" , "78 degrees" without success. I can say "Lower temperature" and the response is "cooler, yes or no". Guess I need to do more research or maybe just give up. This should not be that complicated.
You're right Mike, I take it all (well, most of it) back... Just went out and tried it. My 2013 also won't recognize the "xx degrees" command that 2012s and previous MY did. What an oddball takeaway after all these years, but hey, we get some new commands I believe, if you care about controlling iPod, playlists, and such that you likely also saw in the manual. The challenge with those is takes a very long time for the truck to establish the dynamic voice recognition with my iPod for example -- I gave up after 25 minutes of getting a response that the truck was still initializing voice commands for me to verbally select a playlist (I have 700+ albums and 50+ playlists on my iPod). My apologies for the false alarm.

My excuse: I successfully tried the "72 degrees" voice command myself in the 2012 that I test drove last fall before ultimately taking delivery of my 2013 this June, and probably said "warmer"/"cooler" in the truck I now have when I gave that a try back in June... Also, when I responded to your post, I was looking at a list of voice commands I had found for the 2010-12 RX that included the ability to set a specific temperature like you were referencing -- assuming it would be a subset of what's in the 2013, and had become my study list of available commands. So much for that -- I just put it into my recycle bin, now knowing it's a bust, thanks to your inquiry. ...and FYI, I stopped using voice commands for the most part in my 2013 out of frustration several weeks ago. It remains probably my largest disappointment in this vehicle as it just does not like the tone and/or volume of my voice most of the time and I'm tired of the lady saying "pardon", canceling out after a couple of attempts, and going back to the manual button or multicontroller most of the time. What is it about the path of least resistance?
Old 08-26-12, 02:33 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike, it goes like this "Dear, would you please set the temp on my side to 72 degrees? Thank you"

If the temp goes up, then you forgot the please & thank you .

They're made more like a request than a 'command'.
Old 08-26-12, 02:36 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Mike, it goes like this "Dear, would you please set the temp on my side to 72 degrees? Thank you"

If the temp goes up, then you forgot the please & thank you .

They're made more like a request than a 'command'.
Oh ho ho. Such the comedian.
Old 08-26-12, 02:44 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My favorite is when you push the voice button and it responds, "to start voice recognition, push the voice button".

I'm hoping when it says, "cooler, yes or no" it's actually learning and stops asking.
Old 08-26-12, 03:54 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Guess I got too comfortable after memorizing the voice commands I often used in my former Lexus. I think it's pretty poor marketing to eliminate simple commands that operate widely used items like climate control, especially because the actual temperature setting is not displayed until the decrease or increase buttons are pressed. The reason I used voice commands for temperature is because when I turn off the A/C and open the fresh air vents, I would say "Temperature 60 degrees" (The lowest temperature setting), which would prevent any heat being added to the fresh air if the ambient temperature was below 60 degrees. Now, to do the same thing, you have to hold the decrease buttons down for both driver & passenger sides until the temp drops to 60, taking your eyes off the road. That's not a major ordeal, but the other way was closer to "PERFECTION".
Old 08-27-12, 04:08 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also tire of hearing "pardon?" and the endless cycle of attempts to "get it right."

Only once have I received the "voice recognition is still initializing" message. I remember thinking..."What?!"

I still use voice commands for phone calls; problem is that I have too many contacts with more than 3 numbers so I often have to play the guessing game to figure out which name has the number I want. My most-used command lately seems to be "Go Back." I also wish "she" would not repeat all the commands. When Captain Picard told the Enterprise computer to do something it gave a "happy" chirp if it understood and a "condescending" chirp if it could not comply or didn't understand. So how difficult can this be?