RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

WATCH OUT for the Rising Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 01:05 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WATCH OUT for the Rising Hatch

My wife and I were shopping at Wal Mart and while walking across the parking lot with our hands full of bags, I pushed to power hatch button approaching our 2012 RX350.

Just at that minute there was a young family walking behind our RX, and as the hatch came up, it missed this poor guy by inches from his eye as he jump out of the way.

He was good natured about it and I had to apologies for the whole thing.

Did anything like this ever happen to you other Lexus owners???
Old 08-22-12, 01:13 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

I have owned an RX with power rear latch for a long time and I never--not once--experienced anything like what you describe. In fact, I can't even see how such a close call was even possible, especially since the RX has an audible warning beep that is activated when you push the remote release. I can't help but wonder if this close call wasn't as close as you and/or the almost victims thought. You know, some kind of optical illusion. In any event I am glad no one was injured.
Old 08-22-12, 01:29 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NCRon
In fact, I can't even see how such a close call was even possible, especially since the RX has an audible warning beep that is activated when you push the remote release.
Believe me, I was there, it can and did happen.

Buzzing and beeping of all the electronics around us today, we have a tendency to ignore it all.

When 6-8 cars are parked together, and one beeps, most people couldn't tell which one was beeping if your not paying attention.
Old 08-22-12, 01:48 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a lady parked beside my RX350. When she pulled over and I happen to remotely open my trunk, she looked startled because she saw no one near the vehicle. She looked around with "did I do that" look ;-), so yes it can happen.
Old 08-22-12, 02:14 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I can see how that can happen. I consciously look for people and cars before I hit that button. I figure I will wait until someone ticks me off enough then I will open her up to startle them
Old 08-22-12, 02:25 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mx5nes350
i can see how that can happen. I consciously look for people and cars before i hit that button. I figure i will wait until someone ticks me off enough then i will open her up to startle them
lol.

+1
Old 08-22-12, 02:34 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup. I also only push the remote button when I have visual line of sight with the back of my vehicle, just to be sure there are no crazy people around (talking on their cell phone or in a daydream) that may not hear the beep beep beep of the rear hatch opening.

Last edited by BertL; 08-23-12 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Typos. Love my iPad, but sometimes, not its strange autocorrection!
Old 08-22-12, 05:51 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I read somewhere that one of the american brand cars you just kick the bumper if your hands are full, and the hatch will open. That way you can't hurt anyone but yourself.

I still have a (good or bad) habit of parking a safe distance from everyone, thinking I might avoid a ding or two, so not much chance to surprise anyone.
Old 08-22-12, 06:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
I think I read somewhere that one of the american brand cars you just kick the bumper if your hands are full, and the hatch will open. That way you can't hurt anyone but yourself.

I still have a (good or bad) habit of parking a safe distance from everyone, thinking I might avoid a ding or two, so not much chance to surprise anyone.
Available on the Ford explorer (I think) and definitely a new feature on the new ML Mercedes. You wave your foot under the rear bumper and that triggers the release
Old 08-22-12, 07:37 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Whether it's the rear hatch, opening a door, or operating the vehicle, I can't see it's anyone other than the operator's responsibility to make sure he's doing it safely and to not interfere with people nearby. I can't fault passers by in this situation.

If I was walking behind a car and the operator opened the door onto me or someone in my family I'd be pretty peeved, especially if an injury resulted.
Old 08-22-12, 08:40 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can see where it could be a surprise to others nearby. I think many Walmart customers probably are not thinking about or familiar with remotely controlled liftgates and wouldn't expect it. I use my remote hatch all of the time. But, since I park away from other cars and way out of the way in parking lots it hasn't been an issue.

Last edited by UCSB; 08-22-12 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 09:27 PM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread has me chuckling!!
Old 08-23-12, 11:13 AM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

I agree that a hatch opening can startle an unsuspecting bystander but I don't think it is likely to actually injure them. As for people ignoring warning beeps, well that's just plain stupid. It's a good way to get backed over by a garbage truck. I agree, this thread is amusing. Some people seem in need of things to worry or complain about.
Old 08-23-12, 02:12 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the already recalled, 2013 Ford Escape that has the ' wave your foot under the bumper' feature. The one review on it said you need to take a giant step back once you ' wave your foot' or you will get clobbered by the door. That is one thing about the RX that I really like, with the top of the door angled back into the roof line, the door does not swing out as far like a lot of SUV's. I always make sure the coast is clear before pushing the button.
Old 08-23-12, 06:00 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been torn between, "you've got to be kidding me" and "you're lucky you weren't sued". I'm not quick on my feet anymore, so I walk through a parking lot watching backup lights. I believe people don't see me and when I see those backup lights come on, I move to a safe place. So me walking so close to the rear end of a car and being hit by an opening liftgate would be difficult.

Yet I can understand a father/mother tending to three kids strolling through a parking lot and not see a liftgate open and he/she walks right into the corner and poking an eye out. Law suit...!!!

Quick Reply: WATCH OUT for the Rising Hatch